Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Syd
Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12889 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Ghulam wrote:
The New York Times' lists of Best Movies 2017:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/06/movies/best-movies.html

I put "Ex Libris" in my Netflix Queue and "Okja" streams. Disappointed "Coco" and "Gifted" weren't on the list.

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
I thought her focus on only black and white was a touch of far out humor. I just came back from a visit with a friend in Seattle who drove a city bus there for 30 years. He and a bunch of his bus driver friends loved Paterson. And he grew up in NJ.

While there we saw Dinner with Beatriz. We both liked it a lot. I recommend it for Selma Hayek in an interesting role.

Just saw D w B. At the outset, I expected a more comedic tone, in the culture clash between the spiritual healer and the rich real estate developer. (the expectation partly fueled by it being John Lithgow) I liked the more serious turn it took - a very non-formulaic dark ending with a sort of enigmatic final scene to ruminate over.

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:23 am Reply with quote
Haven't seen much this year, but my to-see list of '17 films looks interesting:

Meyerowitz Stories
3 Billboards outside Ebbing, Mo
Coco
Wonderstruck
Dunkirk
The Florida Project
Lady Bird
Faces Places
A Quiet Passion
Okja
I Called Him Morgan

Unfortunately, the only one available at the moment is Okja, which I'm wavering on. Not sure if it's my kind of film.
Any thought on OKja?
Or any of the others?

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:14 am Reply with quote
Brigsby Bear sounds fun and family friendly . . .

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:17 am Reply with quote
Until the bear mauls and then eats all the children.

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Bart.....I'd like to see more films where the haves and the have-nots come into conflict.....what do they really think about each other? Like Get Out the haves start out expressing respect and accommodation to the have-not and then the reality starts to surface.

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:14 pm Reply with quote
3 Billboards was dark, disturbing, and yet brought more redemption that I had expected. Sam Rockwell has grown as an actor since the days he was sprouting an extra head. Frances McD might be up for awards, was given a role where any other casting choice would be unthinkable. I'm not sure rural Missourians (I've lived there) use foul language in quite the way McDonagh imagines, but it was close enough even if I occasionally got a whiff more of Brixton than Ebbing. (Ebbing, what a clever name for a town like that one)

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:58 am Reply with quote
As a Missourian, I can say the film's setting looked remarkably Ozark Missouri-like, though it was actually N. Carolina. Yes, McDonagh likes "c--t" way more than your typical rural Missourian. Both Harrelson and Rockwell did excellent supp roles. I liked Rockwell's drunk bigot (who eventually dredges up some inner decency) more than Billyweeds. The film's narrative doesn't take any easy or obvious offramps. Excellent.

Regarding Molly's Game, coming soon, I have to think the Molly Bloom character's name is not by accident that of one of James Joyce's most famous literary characters....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molly_Bloom
bartist
Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sure it's intentional, yes. Though the new film doesn't seem to at all fit the Odyssey framework that Joyce had set up for his characters. If I go, and it looks like the scriptwriter had not read "Ulysses" before naming his heroine, then I'm going to suspect a pretentious gimmick.

We might benefit from open membership, I mean, seriously. Give someone who's willing to look in, say, 3 times a week, access to moderator buttons and they can delete the spammers. Then send a group email to all the old members on the list, informing them of this change, and welcoming participation in a film forum revival. Chilly and Lorne never post here anymore, why are they still the admins? That should be consolidated into one admin-ship, preferably someone who looks in regularly like Gromit or Weeds.

Last edited by bartist on Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Well said. I've just seen 6 current films and I could say a lot about each of them but this doesn't seem to be the place to do this anymore. Is there another venue where discussion is going on?

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
Well said. I've just seen 6 current films and I could say a lot about each of them but this doesn't seem to be the place to do this anymore. Is there another venue where discussion is going on?

Previously.tv has a fairly active film forum. Whether it's up to the vaunted standards of former NYTers, I am not in a position to say. (If you have or install a free ad blocker, the site is ad-free.)
carrobin
Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone have a suggestion for a movie to take my 97-year-old mother to while I'm visiting South Carolina next week? Last time I was there, my sister and I took her to "Beauty and the Beast," which we all enjoyed, but I think she resents being treated to kids' movies (especially animated). She might like the one about Churchill, if she doesn't fall asleep, but she's not interested in Star Wars or action heroes (unless George Clooney is involved).
bartist
Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by bartist on Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Grace

Carol.....she might like The Shape of Water unless she doesn't like references to sex. What about the Emily Dickenson movie. The Post or LBJ if she likes politics.

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12889 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
carrobin wrote:
Does anyone have a suggestion for a movie to take my 97-year-old mother to while I'm visiting South Carolina next week? Last time I was there, my sister and I took her to "Beauty and the Beast," which we all enjoyed, but I think she resents being treated to kids' movies (especially animated). She might like the one about Churchill, if she doesn't fall asleep, but she's not interested in Star Wars or action heroes (unless George Clooney is involved).

Coco, possibly the best film of the year, though I don't know if you want to treat her to an exquisite view of the afterlife, and it's animated (but not a kids' movie). The Shape of Water is apparently very good. I like the look of The Greatest Showman, and expect it to get a slew of Oscar nominations, but it's not that high on Rotten Tomatoes. Lady Bird is getting very good reviews and I haven't figured out why.

This has got to be the weakest year for Oscar bait that I can remember.