Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

gromit
Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:31 am Reply with quote
Joe & Earl were living in Houston last I knew.
No idea how to get in touch with them.
The storm seemed to do a good deal of damage, but deaths were reasonably limited.

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
The Desert of Forbidden Art is the story Igor Savitsky, museum curator who acquired 40,000 pieces of art, much of it avant garde, much of it Central Asian folk art, that were banned by the Soviet Union and eventually sequestered them in the Nakus Museum in Uzbekistan. The artwork shown ranges for from some really excellent work to some that I really hate, but then avant garde's not really to my taste. The museum preserves the work of artists who would not go along with Soviet realism, sometimes in the face of imprisonment and death. Savitsky himself died in 1984, a victim of the formalin he used to clean bronzes.

Excellent and absorbing documentary of a true hero.

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Finally caught up with The Bicycle Thieves/Thief and Shoeshine, which are, of course, two of the most celebrated films of their time, and since Thief is so highly regard, I naturally like Shoeshine a lot better. It's about two shoeshine boys who almost innocently get involved with a crime (they're trying to buy a horse so are willing to take a chance), and wind up in a juvenile jail awaiting trial. This is at the end of World War II, crime is rampart, people are desperate to make ends meet, and the justice system is overwhelmed. Outstanding movie with surprising tenderness and well acted by its young leads and just about everyone else.

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
"Beginning in the 1900s, Iquitos became wealthy through its rubber industry throughout the rubber boom; it attracted thousands of immigrants from around the world, mostly young single men who hoped to make their fortunes in rubber. ... The immigrants brought European clothing styles, music, architecture and other cultural elements to Iquitos. They established an opera house that featured European classical music."

And Enrico Caruso, I assume.

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
Finally caught up with The Bicycle Thieves/Thief and Shoeshine, which are, of course, two of the most celebrated films of their time, and since Thief is so highly regard, I naturally like Shoeshine a lot better.

DeSica is one of my favorite directors.
Two Women is great. Cue that up next. Sophia Loren is the bomb. Umberto D a classic. Miracle in Milan quite good,more whimsical.

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I've been putting "Two Women" off till I'm in the mood. "Miracle in Milan" is not available at a reasonable price. I have "Umberto D" in my Netflix queue but a long way down.

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:27 am Reply with quote
Frederick Wiseman's wonderful three hour documentary "National Gallery" takes us on an unforgettable visit to London's great collection of priceless art. There is no commentary, the camera just stares at those beautiful paintings, or at the faces of people gazing at those paintings, or on docents giving stimulating lectures to groups of people on various paintings, or long talks given by restorers on a work they are restoring, or performances in other art forms e.g. music, ballet or poetry recital. It is a veritable feast.

yambu
Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I can understand why Torn Curtain appeals to so many, but it's not for me. A true movie star would have handled Julie Andrews without making her suspicious. A TMS would have loved her beyond his mission.

The Stasi in real life were smarter than a bunch of German Barney Fifes. Over all messy and unconvincing in important places.

And what was that Polish women doing taking up twenty minutes of the middle?

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I've been putting "Two Women" off till I'm in the mood.

<snicker>

Torn Curtain is the Hitchcockian nadir. When Billyweed was being kept off Third Eye by a 395 lb. Russian hacker, we jokingly simulated admiration of it.

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I've discovered a great new streaming app. FilmStruck has the Criterian Collection and other choices you won't find anywhere else. I've been watching early Douglas Sirk films. The latest, Lured, stars Lucille Ball (!!) as an undercover detective trying to lure a Jack the Ripper style killer through personal ads in London.....1947. Fun.

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
I've discovered a great new streaming app. FilmStruck has the Criterian Collection and other choices you won't find anywhere else. I've been watching early Douglas Sirk films. The latest, Lured, stars Lucille Ball (!!) as an undercover detective trying to lure a Jack the Ripper style killer through personal ads in London.....1947. Fun.

Nancy mentioned one early movie where Lucy stole the movie by doing a hot hulu. She had a long career before TV, which seems nowadays to be confined to "The Long, Long Trailer." (And now, apparently, Lured.)

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:02 am Reply with quote
Joined: 02 Aug 2004 Posts: 1359 Location: Way Down Yonder.......
Re: "The Dinner".

Not off topic, but to the side. Koch's "Summer House With Swimming Pool", is imo even better.
Befade
Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Mitty....I have that book. Bought it after I saw the film The Dinner. I had just had surgery and thought a book with a doctor's point of view would be amusing. Nothing amused me then.....but since you liked it I might give it another try.

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:46 pm Reply with quote
yambu wrote:
I can understand why Torn Curtain appeals to so many...

Who the hell are these "many"? I do not know one human being who likes that movie. It is, in fact, as bartist says, the Hitchcockian nadir, and I'm counting Topaz, The Paradine Case, and I Confess.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:49 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
billyweeds wrote:
yambu wrote:
I can understand why Torn Curtain appeals to so many...

Who the hell are these "many"? I do not know one human being who likes that movie. It is, in fact, as bartist says, the Hitchcockian nadir, and I'm counting Topaz, The Paradine Case, and I Confess.
I have never heard a good word about Torn Curtain either. I have never seen a bad Hitchcock movie (having been warned against Torn Curtain, and having not seen I Confess or Topaz.) There are movies, like Paradine Case, that do not really work, but I would probably like better if it was "Hitchcockian" rather than "Hitchcock", in much the same way I would have liked True Grit better if it were "Coenesque", or One, Two, Three if it did not carry Wilder's name. Marnie remains my least favorite Hitchcock.