Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

carrobin
Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:03 pm Reply with quote
What a good idea.
My church-organ-playing grandmother was a wonderful musician (she actually had gone to college and gotten a degree in music after her marriage, in the 1920s). I never was into it much. When I was about 15, she took me to my first concert. I was bored--but found I enjoyed imagining movie scenes to go with the symphony. Of course I told her it was a great experience. I've been to a few concerts since, but I still prefer the movies.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
billyweeds wrote:
This weekend at Bard College in upstate New York they are presenting a live performance of the score to Vertigo. Fitting IMO, since it's my favorite film score of all time and Bernard Herrmann's masterpiece.
Has California tumbled into the sea? Because that will be the day I go back to Annondale.

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:36 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
This weekend at Bard College in upstate New York they are presenting a live performance of the score to Vertigo. Fitting IMO, since it's my favorite film score of all time and Bernard Herrmann's masterpiece.
I agree with all of this. My untouchable favorite is Anton Karas's Third Man. It has been in my blood since I was eight.

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:59 pm Reply with quote
The first movie soundtrack I bought was Mario Nascimbene's "The Vikings," because it was the first movie that really knocked me out. I didn't tell my mother and I played it only when she wasn't in the house--I think I paid maybe $8 for it, and didn't want to admit to what she'd consider a waste of money. But I wrote an article for the high school paper about my secret purchase, and my mother was so proud that I was in print that she didn't fuss.

I've bought a few other movie soundtracks since, but when it became possible to buy the actual movies, I stopped. Still like Vangelis' "Chariots of Fire," though. And of course "The Third Man" is so saturated with that hypnotic soundtrack that it just stays in one's head.
carrobin
Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
R.I.P. Harry Dean Stanton, at 91. Front page of the NY Daily News.

While "Repo Man" was the flick in which he impressed me most, there's a great confrontation between him and Alan Bates and Bette Midler in "The Rose" that was pretty memorable. Terrific actor.
bartist
Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I knew these people. These two people. They were in love with each other. The girl was very young, about 17 or 18, I guess. And the guy was quite a bit older. He was kind of raggedy and wild. And she was very beautiful, you know. And together they turned everything into a kind of adventure. And she liked that. Just an ordinary trip down to the grocery store was full of adventure. They were always laughing at stupid things. He liked to make her laugh, and they didn’t much care for anything else because all they wanted to do was be with each other. They were always together…Yes, they were, they were real happy. And he, he loved her more than he ever felt possible. He couldn’t stand being away from her during the day when he went to work. So he’d quit, just to be home with her. Then he’d get another job when the money ran out, and then he’d quit again. But pretty soon, she started to worry. Money, I guess. Not having enough. Not knowing when the next check was coming in. So he started to get kind of torn inside. Well, he knew he had to work to support her, but he couldn’t stand being away from her either. And the more he was away from her, the crazier he got, except now, he got really crazy. He started imagining all kinds of things. He started thinking that she was seeing other men on the sly. He’d come home from work and accuse her of spending the day with somebody else. He’d yell at her and break things in the trailer. Yes, they lived in a trailer home… Anyway, he started to drink real bad, and he’d stay out late to test her, to see if she’d get jealous. He wanted her to get jealous, but she didn’t. She just worried about him but that got him even madder…because he thought if she never got jealous about him, that she didn’t really care about him. Jealousy was a sign of her love for him. And then one night, one night, she told him that she was pregnant. She was about three or four months pregnant. And he didn’t even know, and then suddenly everything changed. He stopped drinking and got a steady job. He was convinced that she loved him now, because she was carrying his child. And he was going to dedicate himself to making a home for her. But a funny thing started to happen…He didn’t even notice it at first. She started to change. From the day the baby was born, she began to get irritated with everything around her. She got mad at everything. Even the baby seemed to be an injustice to her. He kept trying to make everything all right for her. Buy her things. Take her out to dinner once a week. But nothing seemed to satisfy her. For two years, he struggled to pull them back together like they were when they first met, but finally he knew that it was never gonna work out. So he hit the bottle again. But this time it got mean. This time, when he came home late at night, she wasn’t worried about him, or jealous, she was just enraged. She accused him of holding her captive by making her have a baby. She told him that she dreamed about escaping. That was all she dreamed about: escape. She saw herself at night running naked down a highway, running across fields, running down riverbeds, always running. And always, just when she was about to get away, he’d be there. He would stop her somehow. He would just appear and stop her. And when she told him these dreams, he believed them. He knew she had to be stopped or she’d leave him forever. So he tied a cow bell to her ankle so he could hear her at night if she tried to get out of bed. But she learned how to muffle the bell by stuffing a sock into it, and inching her way out of the bed and into the night. He caught her one night when the sock fell out and he heard her trying to run to the highway. He caught her and dragged her back to the trailer, and tied her to the stove with his belt. He just left her there and went back to bed and lay there listening to her scream. Then he listened to his son scream, and he was surprised at himself because he didn’t feel anything anymore. All he wanted to do was sleep. And for the first time, he wished he were far away. Lost in a deep, vast country where nobody knew him. Somewhere without language, or streets. And he dreamed about this place without knowing its name. And when he woke up, he was on fire. There were blue flames burning the sheets of his bed. He ran through the flames toward the only two people he loved, but they were gone. His arms were burning, and he threw himself outside and rolled on the wet ground. Then he ran. He never looked back at the fire. He just ran. He ran until the sun came up and he couldn’t run any further. And when the sun went down, he ran again. For five days he ran like this until every sign of man had disappeared.

A bit long for a post, I know, but Harry Dean took it and made a masterpiece.

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Paris, Texas

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Hey, Gromit, anyone know what's going on with Escape from Elba? Looks like it has crashed hard. I had to wonder if the Sports forums overloaded with the whole NFL v POTUS thing. And now it's spreading to baseball, with that Oakland A's guy bending his knee too.

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I suspect that Trump as well as his frustrated babysitters were relieved to find a convenient distraction from Kim Jung Un. So much easier to pitch a Twitterfit against unarmed athletes who aren't showing proper respect for national icons.
gromit
Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:29 am Reply with quote
I was thinking that the Carmelo Anthony trade sent the Knocks forum into selfpitying overload.

As for Trump, getting caught up in petty disputes and being distracted from actually governing is about the best we can hope for. So I plan bto enjoy all these idiotic controversies and twitterwars.

On the NFL rhubarb, I've boiled it down to Trump wants to put these uppity Negroes in their place. Hell, they're lucky to have paying jobs. Asvwith the Birther crap, there's the implication blacks aren't real/true Americans.

Hopefully this Sideshow swallows up a week or two of the Trump Error.

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:50 am Reply with quote
I don't follow the Bickerknockers, but even I had heard the gnashing of teeth somewhere next door. I gather that he's aging, but still a sharpshooter.

I, too, enjoy the jaw-dropping compass swings of #45's vestigial moral sense.

Trump's about as patriotic as my cats, but it's "get that SOB off the field!" if someone doesn't stand in the proper attitude for the anthem.

EDIT: Josh Silver emailed me. Elba is suffering from old cranky software that crashed when the web host updated their PHP stuff. He is going to have to re-install it and hope it comes back up. Expect delays.

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:57 am Reply with quote
https://xkcd.com/1227/

Found this amusing.

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:27 am Reply with quote
Love it. Proof that not only have people been complaining for a long time, but complaining about the same things.

And now we have Trump.

Who gives "warmest condolences"? It's always so obvious when he's trying to deal with communication of emotions that he has no clue about.
bartist
Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Heh heh. Yeah, Donnie's feeling very good about his condolences today. All warm and fuzzy like.

The following may be NSFW, but I think it makes its point well, regarding our regulation of guns in the USA....

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/things-more-heavily-regulated-than-buying-a-gun-in-the-united-states

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:38 pm Reply with quote
The premature mortality rate of Traveling Wilburies has now reached 60%.

RIP Tom Petty, age 66.