Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

Syd
Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I'm watching a version of Macbeth starring Patrick Stewart and set in the 20th century (with an atmosphere like Stalinist Russia), which demonstrates why you shouldn't do this. The Weird Sisters become the Weird Nurses, a Russian dance breaks out between appearances of Banquo's ghost, and several of the supporting performances (especially the Porter) are excruciating. Lady Macbeth is pretty bad, too, and Stewart is sometimes effective and other times overacting like mad. He does look properly terrified when Banquo comes to dinner.

Setting the table for the banquet is interspersed with stock footage of armies on parade, demonstrating heavy symbolism of something or other. It's one of those moments that makes you say, "Oh, come ON!"

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:51 pm Reply with quote
And now I come to the three Weird Nurses doing "Bubble, Bubble, Toil and Tribble,"* a virtually fool-proof scene if these fools hadn't already cast the Witches as Nurses, put it in a hospital, and made their chant totally nonsensical. The Weird Nurses also appear in several scenes where they don't belong and are always ludicrous. To put it another way, this is such an enormous misfire that it won a Peabody.

*My version's better for this.

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Somehow I find myself becoming intrigued.
Ghulam
Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:58 am Reply with quote
The 2015 Brazilian film "The Second Mother" is about a live-in housemaid who has brought up with tender loving care the son of her upper class employers in Sao Paulo. Her own estranged daughter, whom she has not seen for over ten years, comes to Sao Paulo to go to college and stays with her mother. The daughter is bright and assertive and resists the class structure of the family and upsets previously stable domestic homeostasis. Some extraordinary performances and superb direction make this movie a gem. Winner of 28 international awards.

gromit
Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:22 am Reply with quote
Watched a handful of mid-40's Sydney Toler Charlie Chan's -- from a Chanthology box set. They are all done at a snappy pace, with a strange/mysterious method of murder, a finite group of suspects, comic relief from Birmingham Brown & #3 son Tommy, and surprise deductions by Chan. I could see enjoying these a lot more as a kid, where the pacing and blend of these elements would entertain more. In a way, they reminded me of the few Abbott & Costello mystery films -- maybe in the similarities of the era and the comic relief.

By 1944, the Charlie Chan series was on its 2nd Chan (Warner Oland had died in mid 1938), 3rd son and 2nd studio. Fox wrapped up the series in 1942, and Toler bought the rights to the character and arranged for low-budget Monograph to keep churning out Chan pictures. Toler starred in 11 films as Charlie Chan in a 3 year period from 1944-46, until he too died.

What surprised and intrigued me most about the 1944-45 Chan films was the focus on technology. One film has a strange video jukebox in a diner. The customer puts in a nickel and then talks to the operator who not only plays their requested song, but the operator has a large video screen and can see the customer. What benefit this would be is rather hard to say, but it's impressive tech from the end of WWII. Another film takes place at a combined radio and television station, and television is a fairly fledgling business in 1945. A 1944 film features the plans for a radar guided missile system which is a war secret. Another a silly lab with a gas chamber. And I think that same lab features a weather tunnel that has both a heat and frigid cold section used for testing the military equipment under extreme weather conditions. Another involves radium being stolen, etc.

Toler is good and fairly convincing as Charlie Chan. Benson Fong is likeable enough and quite good at shrugging, but a little overly greenhorn. While it's a bit uncomfortable today watching Montand Moreland do his scared darkie routine with bulging eyes. A lot of his nervous routine is reminiscent of Lou Costello's stammering and inability to speak when frightened (and threatened). But most of his humorous lines aren't really funny. And it seems to be just basic racism that an Asian would have a black as his subordinate.
One Birmingham Brown highlight is when Moreland runs into another black guy and they go into this humorous dialogue where neither finish a sentence but the other responds to what was left unsaid. The other brother is Moreland's real-life vaudeville partner and part of their well-polished routine.

After watching a few films you start to wonder why famous detective Charlie Chan keeps such a bumbling panicky assistant (ostensibly a driver by his dress) as Birmingham Brown. And you start wondering why Brown keeps working with Chan if it makes him so nervous. Finally in one film, Birmingham Brown is merely a taxi driver, picks up Charlie Chan, and drives off in such a panic he forgets to get paid. So Brown hunts down Chan and thus gets involved in the murder investigation. So at least the screenwriters started wondering why Chan and Brown were paired together, since Brown is so inept and panicky.

Tommy (#3) on the other hand is family. Charlie tries to ditch him and Tommy keeps popping up because he wants to be in the family murder-solving business. And in a few films Birmingham Brown is left behind by Charlie but brought along by Tommy. The first Monograph reboot (1944) introduces #1 daughter, Iris Chan, who doesn't have much to do and is basically a female version of #3 son. A few films later they try another daughter Frances Chan with no sons in Black Magic a film not in my Chanthology.

Last edited by gromit on Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:58 am Reply with quote
Rings on Her Fingers (1942) sounded promising. Gene Tierney, Henry Fonda, Laird Cregar directed by Reuben Mamoulian. It's mostly a rip-off of The Lady Eve, from the year prior, with a beautiful young thing putting a con on Henry Fonda but then falling in love with him. Tierney and Fonda aren't really good at comedy. Fonda kind of loud-speaks most of his lines for some reason.

The plot had potential but the shortcuts and contrivances rather deflate things. And the tone is rather wobbly and vague. I guess the part I liked best is when Tierney dupes Fonda a second time, but this time out of love. The end tries to have a number of plot lines come together in screwball comedy fashion, but has trouble pulling it off successfully. It's not a bad film, but not surprising that it's largely been forgotten.

Last edited by gromit on Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:06 am Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
I'm watching a version of Macbeth starring Patrick Stewart and set in the 20th century (with an atmosphere like Stalinist Russia), which demonstrates why you shouldn't do this. The Weird Sisters become the Weird Nurses, a Russian dance breaks out between appearances of Banquo's ghost, and several of the supporting performances (especially the Porter) are excruciating. Lady Macbeth is pretty bad, too, and Stewart is sometimes effective and other times overacting like mad. He does look properly terrified when Banquo comes to dinner.

Setting the table for the banquet is interspersed with stock footage of armies on parade, demonstrating heavy symbolism of something or other. It's one of those moments that makes you say, "Oh, come ON!"

This is a bit odd, but I was watching (for the first time) "Scotland, PA" last night. I guess Macbethiness was in the aether Tuesday evening, stirred up by the eclipse. My Lady McB was fine, Maura Tierney descending into madness over her grease burn. A good ensemble that included Chris Walken as MacDuff and James LeGros giving a very funny and understated MacBeth. The 70's soundtrack, heavy on "Bad Company," really captures the time and place, neatly capped at the end with Marshall Tucker's "Can't You See." The films fealty to the original Shakespeare may be questioned, however. At least when it strays from the canonical MacBeth, it's quite funny, vegan police detective and all.

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:07 am Reply with quote
Two film reviews, two related Tierneys, the post-eclipse weirdness continues....

(edit: fact-check finds no relation between Gene and Maura, so that was misinfo given me a few years ago.)

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
I'm watching a version of Macbeth starring Patrick Stewart and set in the 20th century (with an atmosphere like Stalinist Russia), which demonstrates why you shouldn't do this.
Producers have been time warping Shakespeare since the 1800's. A not so good example of it is the Ian McKellan version, with a large assembly hall draped with giant red banners, and a climactic (?) tank battle.

A most chilling scene is when Stewart briefs his hired killers while eating a sandwich. It is said that while playing that scene on Broadway, he suddenly worked it in.

The weird sisters are scary, the way they suddenly show up in the army hospital, where they were unknown - unusual for them. And their witch's brew jabbering is hard to hear. I always like to read it first.

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:56 pm Reply with quote
On the other hand, I'm watching Kenneth Branagh's take on "As You Like It," set in a British enclave in 19th Century Japan, with David Oleyowu as Orlando (yes the De Boys are black), Bryce Dallas Howard as Rosalind, Romola Garai as Celia, and I love it. And, as usual, Celia steals the play, which befits her since in my opinion she's the most admirable person in a play with a lot of admirable people. But Howard and Oleyowu are wonderful, too, the Forest of Arden (which has a lot of bamboo) is beautiful, and the emotions in the early parts are raw and threatening.

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:56 am Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
On the other hand, I'm watching Kenneth Branagh's take on "As You Like It," set in a British enclave in 19th Century Japan....
I didn't know about this. Must see.

Harold Bloom points out that Rosalind speaks only a few lines of blank verse. Many consider her the most intelligent, most complete female in all of Shakespeare. The play was wildly popular in its day. The audience had to accept an adolescent male playing a woman playing a man playing a woman, so the actor had to fit the part. The crowd had to be delighted to see a "woman", for more than an hour, free herself from feminine conventions. For me, Helen Mirren succeeds wonderfully.

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:10 pm Reply with quote
yambu wrote:
Syd wrote:
On the other hand, I'm watching Kenneth Branagh's take on "As You Like It," set in a British enclave in 19th Century Japan....
I didn't know about this. Must see.

Harold Bloom points out that Rosalind speaks only a few lines of blank verse. Many consider her the most intelligent, most complete female in all of Shakespeare. The play was wildly popular in its day. The audience had to accept an adolescent male playing a woman playing a man playing a woman, so the actor had to fit the part. The crowd had to be delighted to see a "woman", for more than an hour, free herself from feminine conventions. For me, Helen Mirren succeeds wonderfully.

Celia's very intelligent, too. Sometimes she's well ahead of Rosalind, who is besieged by hormones. This version cuts out too much of Rosalind's tormenting of Orlando, but, on the other hand, you actually understand better why Celia falls in love at first sight with Oliver--though she would have met the murderous asshole older brother in court; it's the newly humbled and forgiving older brother she falls in love with at first sight. Really lovely scene.

Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching Madame Curie which is a lot cornier than The Life of Louis Pasteur and Dr. Ehrlich's Magic Bullet. I do like Pierre's odd marriage proposal, which is more that we are complementary scientific minds than in love, and was left in uncertainty whether he'd actually proposed. But it's pretty dry and misses some opportunities. For instance, we start off with Marie at the Sorbonne, but there's a very interesting story of how this poor brilliant woman from the Polish enclave of Russia wound up at the Sorbonne at the first place. This is a great historical scientific biopic that needs to be retold.

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:18 am Reply with quote
The Dinner has a great ensemble , but this tale of a dinner party taking a dark turn telegraphs its punch with too many flashbacks and digressions to the Civil War (one of the two brothers at the dinner, played by Steve Coogan, is a high school history teacher who, having lost his job due to some sort of nervous breakdown, is writing a book on the war). Whatever mordant wit the original Dutch novel may have had, it seems to have been defused here, in favor of showing us sad and disgusting "apes with cellphones," as Coogan's character likes to put it. The film is an interesting failure, and has some brief glimmers of black humor insofar as it shows parents making absurd excuses for their children (who have perpetrated a horrific crime).

ANYONE HEAR FROM JOE V. THESE DAYS? He lives in Houston, doesn't he?

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Bart......I saw The Dinner and the aspect that bothered me was the choice of restaurant. For parents discussing how to handle a horrible incident involving their children the focus on high end, gourmet dining was so obviously dissonant. I picked up another book by this author, Herman Koch. Summer House with Swimming Pool. The black humor is provided by the main character, a doctor who has befriended a patient he has mistreated.....I haven't finished it because I'm not up for a cynical read right now.