Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Movie Trivia

Syd
Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
That's correct.

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:21 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
Sounds right. and the "....you don't go alone" would especially fit the second film in the franchise.

Plus, wasn't the semi-famous tag line for Alien "In space, no one can hear you scream?" Hence the choice of the sequel. Of course, there's always the option of multiple tag lines for one movie, so never mind.

Speaking of series/sequels, I have no frickin' clue on Hunger Games movies - how many there are, or their titles. Just sayin'.

Is 11) This spring, prepare for their excellency. a Bill & Ted title? I'll say Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey?
Syd
Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:38 pm Reply with quote
No. Considerably worse movie.

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Considerably worse than Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey?? Wow.

edit: ok, I peeked, I googled. He's right.

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I'll just tell you which Hunger Games it was

1) The most astonishing adventure in the universe begins when the world ends The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, with Zooey Deschanel, who was also in
2) Close your eyes, but keep your mind wide open: Bridge to Terabithia, with Josh Hucherson, who was also in
3) The courage of one will change the world The Hunger Games, Mockingjay, Part 1, with ...
4) In love, be the flame - not the moth Casanova, with Sienna Miller, who was also in
5) This summer a star falls. The chase begins. Stardust, with Rupert Everett, who was also in
6) A comedy about finding your heart and losing your head My Best Friend's Wedding
7) When the order came to retreat, one man stayed.
8 ) The man who tried to cheat the devil.
9) It looked like the perfect bank robbery.
10) If you believe in love at first sight, you never stop looking.
11) This spring, prepare for their excellency.
12) The story of a man ready to make a connection.
13) The road to greatness can take you to the edge
14) There are some places in the universe you don't go alone Aliens, with Sigourney Weaver, who was also in
15) A comedy of galactic proportions: Galaxy Quest, with the late great Alan Rickman, who was also in:
16) The ultimate romantic comedy: Love Actually with Martin Freeman, who was in Hitchhiker's Guide

Last edited by Syd on Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:38 am; edited 2 times in total

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quote
And hints: The link from 3 to 4 is in two TV series, in the first playing a queen, and in the second a famous villain and love interest.

#7 was nominated for the Oscar for best picture as well as actor and director. It's the newest picture in the list.

The link from #8 to #9 is the oldest person ever to win a competitive Oscar, and is not Jessica Tandy.

The link from #10 to #11 is a best actress Oscar winner, but not for either of these two movies. However, both links from #10 were nominated for Oscars for their role in the movie--the only nominations the movie received.

The link from #12 to #13 won an Oscar for one of the movies, quite recently. Both movies were nominated for Best Picture.

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:53 am Reply with quote
So is #7 Hacksaw Ridge? And the lovely Rachel Griffith would link MBFW to HR.

#9 wouldn't be Reservoir Dogs by any chance, would it?

I'm sorry about The Hunger Games thing - I'm kind of like Penny from TBBT ("Are you Star Wars?") with regard to that particular set of movies.

Would #13 be Whiplash, with the lovely Paul Reiser linking it to Aliens?
bartist
Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:12 pm Reply with quote
If JK Simmons is the link to Whiplash, then 12 could be Up in the Air. Fairly confirmatory of 13.

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Hacksaw Ridge, Whiplash, and Up in the Air are all correct, and Griffiths, Simmons and Reiser are the links. However, #9 is not Reservoir Dogs.

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
Well, Christopher Plummer is the oldest competitive acting Oscar winner, though I thought there were older tech winners. Of course they are out of the running, so I will base my answers on Plummer.....

How about Inside Man (with Plummer) for 9, and Closer for 10? Clive Owen as the connection there.

Portman the Oscar Winner for the link 10 - 11, but I am at a loss for a worse move than Bogus Adventure. As am I trying to figure out a Plummer movie that fits 8. The best I can come up with, in all seriousness, is A Beautiful Mind.

I was thinking Bedazzled for 8 before I realized Plummer had to be in it, which rules out either version. I think.

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:47 am Reply with quote
Just two left (and three of links).

1) The most astonishing adventure in the universe begins when the world ends The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, with Zooey Deschanel, who was also in
2) Close your eyes, but keep your mind wide open: Bridge to Terabithia, with Josh Hucherson, who was also in
3) The courage of one will change the world The Hunger Games, Mockingjay, Part 1, with ...
4) In love, be the flame - not the moth Casanova, with Sienna Miller, who was also in
5) This summer a star falls. The chase begins. Stardust, with Rupert Everett, who was also in
6) A comedy about finding your heart and losing your head My Best Friend's Wedding with Rachel Griffiths, who was also in
7) When the order came to retreat, one man stayed. Hacksaw Ridge, with ...
8 ) The man who tried to cheat the devil. ...with Christopher Plummer, who was also in
9) It looked like the perfect bank robbery. Inside Man, with Clive Owen, who was also in
10) If you believe in love at first sight, you never stop looking. Closer, with Natalie Portman, who was also in...
11) This spring, prepare for their excellency.
12) The story of a man ready to make a connection. Up in the Air, with J. K. Simmons, who was also in
13) The road to greatness can take you to the edge Whiplash, with Paul Reiser, who was also in
14) There are some places in the universe you don't go alone Aliens, with Sigourney Weaver, who was also in
15) A comedy of galactic proportions: Galaxy Quest, with the late great Alan Rickman, who was also in:
16) The ultimate romantic comedy: Love Actually with Martin Freeman, who was in Hitchhiker's Guide

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:58 am Reply with quote
The Plummer movie must be Dr. Parnassus, which also has Garfield for the HR link.

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:51 am Reply with quote
correct.

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Portman was in the abysmal Your Highness (called Your Hiney at our house because I believe she showed her butt in the flick. Or just because we're ten-year-old idiots.).

And Danny McBride (who is a friend of a friend, by the way) was in both YH and UitA.
Syd
Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
And that's all, except for the link from 3 to 4, who is Natalie Dormer, Queen Margaery in Game of Thrones, Irene Adler/Jamie Moriarty in Elementary, Cressida in Mockingjay, and Victoria in Casanova. She also got her head chopped off in The Tudors.