Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

carrobin
Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
My friend David and I grew up Southern Baptist, and he dates his agnostic attitude to a sermon when the preacher criticized the film "Sayonara" for showing a romance between a white man and a Japanese woman. David loved the film (as did I) and while he might have seen some rationale in criticizing black vs. white, the Japanese vs. white criticism made him question the whole idea. (That was before he recognized the fact that he was gay, which no doubt had a similar effect on his ideas about religion.)
Befade
Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Briefly, Jackie, Loving, and Salesman were not favorites of mine.
Jackie....not portrayed as likeable, mainly concerned with appearances.
Loving.....I did not see the romantic connection between these two.
Salesman.....painful to see the wife's reluctance to reveal her rape to her husband.

I guess I don't enjoy watching characters who don't express a humanity I respect or believe.

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12889 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Malays were considered a separate race by some people when I was a kid. I think they counted all of Indonesia, including New Guinea, and from the details of the quote, Australian Aborigines as well (which are indeed a separate race, from the Malays as well). The Tasmanian Aborigines are considered a different race from the Australians because of the long separation and differences. Khoisan, Pygmies as well.

Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:13 am Reply with quote
The South Indian movie "Baahubali 2: The Conclusion" (in IMAX 2D) is a gigantic production with grand visuals. While it excels in photography and computer-generated imagery, it is weak in substance. It is a tawdry melodrama with a silly story which may be passable as a fairytale for children. The violent battle scenes are grossly overdone and prolonged to the point of being unbearable. It is a bizarre case of first rate technology in the service of third rate material. Nevertheless it has proved to be a big box office bonanza in India.

billyweeds
Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Still the best movie of 2017 so far, and doing incredlble box office.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jordan-peeles-get-out-make-history_us_5910988ce4b0104c7350e65e?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009
Ghulam
Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:21 pm Reply with quote
The Scarily Profitable Hits of the producer of Get Out

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/11/magazine/the-scarily-profitable-hits-of-jason-blum.html?

Ghulam
Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
The Charlie Hunnam starrer "The Lost City of Z" is the true story of a British Army officer who is recruited by the Royal Geographic Society in 1906 for an assignment in the Amazon jungle at the Bolivia-Brazil border. He gets diverted by tales of a fabulous lost city and makes it his life's passion to find it. A well made movie with an interesting story but low keyed to the point of occasional vapidity. A much more absorbing work with similar theme and locale was the 2015 Oscar nominated Colombian movie "Embrace of the Serpent".

Last edited by Ghulam on Sat May 13, 2017 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
marantzo
Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Oct 2014 Posts: 278 Location: Winnipeg: It's a dry cold.
[/b]Ghulam it is Colombian

Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:05 pm Reply with quote
[/b]Ghulam[b] it is Colombian!

Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Ghulam it is Colombian!

Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:32 am Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
Ghulam it is Colombian!

Thanks Gary.

carrobin
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:24 am Reply with quote
Back in South Carolina for my mother's 97th birthday, I was relieved to find that "Beauty and the Beast" was still in a couple of theaters--since we wanted to see a movie together, and none of the alternatives appealed to all of us. (My sister had seen "Snatched" with her daughter and granddaughter, and all three of them voiced the Southern Baptist version of "meh.") Neither Mom nor my sister was enthusiastic about "Beauty," but I told them it had gotten terrific reviews, so off we went. And we all loved it. (They both enjoyed seeing "Disney's first gay character.") It just annoyed me that I didn't immediately identify Belle as Emma Watson, since after all I saw her grow up in the Potter pics. But I did know Kevin Kline, at least.
Syd
Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Wonder Woman is a very well done combination of mythic fantasy and period piece (in this case the last year of World War I, with Gal Gadot just right as the Amazon princess who comes from her hidden island homeland to the real world to fight Ares, the God of War. Chris Pine and David Thewlis are both fine in their supporting roles, but it's a good cast overall and faithful to the source.

(If you wonder why Wonder Woman would be around in 1918 and 2017, Amazons apparently don't age like us mere mortals.)

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Megan Leavey is the story of a dog and the girl who loved him. More specifically, it is about the bond between a Marine dog handler and her bomb-sniffing dog, and about our need to respect that bond and our veterans, both two-legged and four-legged. Kate Mara is the young woman who, after a somewhat aimless life and difficult homelife, joins the Marines, where she continues to be aimless until she is assigned to clean the floors of the dog kennel, and meets Rex, who is by himself because a somewhat vicious streak, and she finds a purpose in life, to be Rex's handler and go hunting bombs, which strikes me as being incredibly brave. So we get to see how these dogs are trained, and the developing bond between Rex and Megan. (Far stronger than any bond she forms with any human in the picture.) Then we get a taste of what these two did in combat, and are actually a bit shortchanged, because they actually went on something like 100 missions, and we see only a few of the more dramatic ones.

It's worth noting that Rex outranks Megan; he's a sergeant and she's a corporal. I think that's a traditional rank for a combat-trained dog.

A lot of the film deals with Megan's efforts to adopt Rex after they are injured in combat. Combat-trained dogs often have a hard time adjusting to civilian life just like humans. (See the recent movie Max for an example.) It seems a good idea to me to let them live with the human with whom they've bonded.

Interesting film, with elements of The Hurt Locker and Hacksaw Ridge as well as Max and Rin Tin Tin. If the combat veteran who warns the training trainers what they can really expect in Iraq (dogs and their handlers are targets) looks familiar, it's Tom Felton, aka Draco Malfoy, acquitting himself quite well in an adult and sympathetic role.

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Rewatched Paterson, and enjoyed it again.
There are lots of little touches you notice when you go in knowing what to expect. For instance the b&w designs that his girlfriend is into occur throughout the film even in the early scenes before we are aware of her "strong visual sense." It gets you checking out the background and set design. I liked when the bus driver is eating at the table and a white napkin is on his lap, with black circles on it ...