Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

carrobin
Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:11 am Reply with quote
Yes--it was the surly "wig-catcher" that cracked me up. I hope she profits from that bit of publicity and gets a real acting job.

I also loved Colbert's H&R Block bit. The customers all seemed amused by him, even the one who thought he was shredding his W2 instead of photocopying it. But they all must have been very relieved to find out they weren't dealing with a real tax preparer.
bartist
Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:37 pm Reply with quote
The H&R (cheese)block thing was priceless - by the time he had the black guy accepting a tallboy of Bud, I was on the floor. I also liked his hauling out the OED to skewer Ivanka's interview and redefining of the word "complicit." The whole pre-guest segment goes in any Best of Colbert video. I hadn't watched Colbert for a couple weeks, so I felt fortunate to tune in and find him on such a roll.

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:38 am Reply with quote
http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/watch-louis-cks-edgy-snl-opening-monologue-w475864

Tears rolling down my cheeks.

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:09 pm Reply with quote
The new Doctor Who season starts tonight on BBC America. The last one for Capaldi, I think.

Watching repeats of "Person of Interest" this afternoon, and having caught an old "Quantum Leap" episode last night, it occurred to me that they were basically the same series--specially enabled persons rescue random near-victims with the help of a godlike computer system. (Watching these final-season Person of Interests gets to me sometimes, knowing how they all come out of it. Today's episode had Root and Finch talking about the Machine, and he was telling her that the Machine has no feelings, and whatever happens to Root won't mean anything to it. But knowing that the Machine takes Root's voice after her death seems to contradict that logic.)
Syd
Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I've been on a tear watching BBC nature DVDs. I've rewatched Planet Earth, watched Life, all of Africa except the one on Africa's future, and now I'm watching Planet Earth II. The first episode Islands was outstanding especially the segment on the volcanic Antarctic island that is home to the world's largest penguin colony and has the worst surf I've ever seen (and not a surfboard in sight). Then you get the pygmy sloth that hears a mating call from a girl sloth and immediately races--well, moves much more energetically than might be expected--to meet her, but has to cross water--and it appears to me that a sloth is much faster in the water than on land.

Now I'm into Mountains. After this, I have Life in the Freezer, and a rewatch of The Blue Planet. All of these are narrated by Sir David Attenborough. I wish Life on Earth and The Living Planet were available on Region 1.

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Oct 2014 Posts: 278 Location: Winnipeg: It's a dry cold.
Syd, you have been having a good time with the movies. Your a good guy!

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Sir David's 90 years old now, so I worry about his health. He's still the master at narrating and producing nature documentary.

Though, when they were showing a baby elephant dying of thirst (in Africa), I would have stopped filming and tried to find a bucket of water. To be fair, the baby elephant was having trouble even standing, so probably wouldn't have survived anyway. And mama was there to stomp anyone who got too close.

Posted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:35 am Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
Sir David's 90 years old now, so I worry about his health...

I think several of my nonagenarian ancestors would tell you that, if there is anything that's great about being 90, it is that you DO NOT have to worry about your health. Pretty much any illness is going to finish you off, and you've had a long life, so there is really no need to worry about health.

I hope this isn't too philosophical and digressive for the thread topic. The PL here has all the Attenborough nature shows, which I'd like to check out.

Posted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quote
Recently I saw something in the paper about a corporate leader who's still at work at the age of 92 or some such. My mother moved to an assisted-living facility at the age of 90, but she was still pretty active and able to go out shopping with my sister. Now she's in a more-assisted-living place, at 96, and does nothing but read and sleep. But I can still get a good discussion about Trump going with her.

Which reminds me, I was watching the CBS morning show today and the newsfolk were visiting the White House, chatting with Ivanka and Pence and such, but then one of the newsmen was interviewing Trump on his own, and our president was talking darkly about illegal "surveillance" and refusing to answer the guy's questions, repeating "you know" and "everybody knows." He sounded demented and paranoid. I think he'd been strongly warned not to mention Obama again, but the conviction that Obama is responsible for "wiretapping" remains.

ADDED (the weird stuff is at the end):
http://cbsnews.com/news/president-trump-oval-office-interview-cbs-this-morning-full-transcript
Syd
Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Blindspot reveals the real reason Trump fires Comey--the FBI has been employing agents of Sandstorm for God's sake, and I wonder if he's signed the Truman Protocol.

Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Anyone seen Downward Dog? Seems to be garnering good reviews, and stars Alison Tolman who was quite notable in the first series of Fargo.

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:27 am Reply with quote
Anyone watching this? The "Gershwin and Garbage" episode yesterday was pretty good. A dog with a Woody Allenesque penchant for philosophizing and self-analysis.

I thought it would be dumb and gimmicky, too, believe me. Better than expected.

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:42 pm Reply with quote
What channel is "Downward Dog" on? I've almost given up on trying new TV shows, sticking with MSNBC all evening some nights.
bartist
Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:55 pm Reply with quote
ABC.

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the "Downward Dog" alert, Bart--I wish I'd known it was a real dog. I had a vague idea that it had to do with women at yoga classes. But it's a keeper. (And tonight, the first time I've seen it, there were two dogs--and although the puppy was adorable, I was thoroughly identifying with the hound.)