Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

billyweeds
Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
!!!Tomorrow's NY Times opinion pages will feature my letter regarding the Republicans' healthcare reform troubles--first time I've had a letter in the Times since 1985! It's supposed to be on nytimes.com this evening as well, but it isn't there yet.

YAY!!! And the plan is now officially toast. Double yay.
marantzo
Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Oct 2014 Posts: 278 Location: Winnipeg: It's a dry cold.
I think Trump will be out in the first year. The guy is a complete asshole!!!!!!

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Worst 100 Days Ever.

But I'm really worried about the billionaires and multi-millionaires who won't be getting tax cuts. How are they going to survive? And what's worse they have to put up with the knowledge that 20M poor and sick people have health insurance. So unfair!

Otherwise there's this tweet from Hillary about folks that have been helped by O-care:
Quote:
Keith, who brings his mother with Alzheimer’s to work with him because he can’t afford care for her during the day.

Wouldn't this make for a good movie?
Maybe the first week he stashes his deranged mother in the corner of his cubicle and hides her under a coat, then she starts moving around the office causing problems at times but becomes accepted as she starts making coffee for everyone, then listens to everyone's problems and gets hired as the resident grievance counselor (though she really understands little of what anyone says to her), finally dies. Something like that . . .

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Could work, with someone like Betty White.
billyweeds
Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:55 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
Could work, with someone like Betty White.

Could work in a different way with Sally Field.
billyweeds
Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:00 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
!!!Tomorrow's NY Times opinion pages will feature my letter regarding the Republicans' healthcare reform troubles--first time I've had a letter in the Times since 1985! It's supposed to be on nytimes.com this evening as well, but it isn't there yet.

And here it is!!!

www.nytimes.com/2017/03/24/opinion/the-republicans-health-care-defeat.html?ref=topics
carrobin
Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Billy! My sister liked it too, although she voted Republican (so we don't discuss politics).
billyweeds
Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:

Quote:
Keith, who brings his mother with Alzheimer’s to work with him because he can’t afford care for her during the day.

Wouldn't this make for a good movie?
Maybe the first week he stashes his deranged mother in the corner of his cubicle and hides her under a coat, then she starts moving around the office causing problems at times but becomes accepted as she starts making coffee for everyone, then listens to everyone's problems and gets hired as the resident grievance counselor (though she really understands little of what anyone says to her), finally dies. Something like that . . .

Gromit--This is a really brilliant idea. I quoted you (no name, and I excised the word "deranged") on Facebook. If someone picks up on it, you should get credit. Bravo!
Befade
Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations, Carol. Your voice has been heard!

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'll have to credit Hillary as well. And will probably get sued by the real-life Keith who actually did this. Plus, part of the idea I swiped from The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, a not very good 1st novel by Carson McCullers which features a mute who everybody likes to talk to and project onto mainly because he doesn't respond or judge them.

But if done right it could be a good family/work drama. Dealing with issues of taking care of an elderly parent. Also the drudgery of work and alienation at work and loneliness in general. Plus social commentary on the state of health care in the USofA.

My maternal grandmother had Alzheimer's the last two years or so of her life and since she died when I was about 8, that's pretty much how I remember her. So that's how I picture the elderly mother, more or less.
So what about casting?
Betty White doesn't work for me, as she has a distinctive voice and this calls mostly for a monotone. And I never like Sally Fields in anything.

Edit: I think I'd have the Alzheimer mom respond somewhat/seem to like old jazz tunes, so I can slip in old songs such as Georgie Auld's Sweetheart of All My Dreams and some Helen Forrest. It would add a nice nostalgia factor to things. I pretty much have the son at mid-40's balding, definitely single, possibly divorced.

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Liked your letter, Carro. This....

Quote:
Of course, it would be so much easier (and less expensive) to expand Medicare to cover all Americans — but that would make Republicans’ heads explode, so it’s off the table.

...was right on. I picture those exploding heads in "Scanners" - Michael Ironside, Patrick McGoohan, et al.

Just got back from exhausting trip and house repair project (and mainly no Net access), so having some delicious moments soaking in the AHCA debacle and the decline and crumble of Paul Ryan.

Haven't seen the Alan Arkin as "being there" mute flick in decades, and now I see he's doing one of those feisty old man movies. Or heisty old man. Or both. Gromit's sounds more compelling. Susan Sarandon? Or is her voice too distinctive too?

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:05 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
...now I see he's doing one of those feisty old man movies. Or heisty old man. Or both.

I loathe those movies (Last Vegas, The Bucket List, etc.) They're always ageist in the worst way. And usually unfunny and unmoving as well. The new one is called (get it?) Going in Style. Wouldn't see it on a bet.
carrobin
Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:31 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
So what about casting?
Betty White doesn't work for me, as she has a distinctive voice and this calls mostly for a monotone. And I never like Sally Fields in anything.

What's Angela Lansbury doing these days?

And I like Sally Field almost as much as Billy does, though I'm not planning to see "The Glass Menagerie" this time around--I saw it once, years ago, with Amanda Plummer as the girl. It was okay but I'm not a big Williams fan.
gromit
Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:42 am Reply with quote
Susan Sarandon could work. She has an expressive face. Can't say I recall her voice really. She's 70 which probably fits the age bracket for the son -- around 45. I think 3rd Eye homework should be everyone comes up with one scene and I patch it all together into a screenplay and don't credit any of you ...

Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:53 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
Susan Sarandon could work. She has an expressive face. Can't say I recall her voice really. She's 70 which probably fits the age bracket for the son -- around 45. I think 3rd Eye homework should be everyone comes up with one scene and I patch it all together into a screenplay and don't credit any of you ...

LOL. But Sarandon (whom I love) would not work nearly as well as Sally Field. JMO. Btw, it's "Field," not "Fields."