Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

billyweeds
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:59 am Reply with quote
gromit--Thanks for the warning against Toni Erdmann. I also had the suspicion I wouldn't like it but felt I should see it because so many think it's good. Gonna give it a pass for sure.

I have been warning folks against Split, Arrival, and Captain Fantastic. I seem to be in the minority about Arrival. Can not for the life of me understand what people like about this world-class snoozerama.
bartist
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:00 am Reply with quote
Forget it, Jake, it's Sci-fi town.

I usually watch the last hour of the Balding Man Festival. I hope it's clear I was kidding about the hail of bullets - I knew they got the wrong card and felt bad for them.

Very happy for Casey Affleck and kind of liked his rough-hewn seriously-unprepared acceptance speech. I hope Gromit you find a copy of Manchester BTS and enjoy it. A fine film.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:08 am Reply with quote
Oh I definitely plan to see Manchester.
I thought Lonergan's previously film Margaret was terrific.

Wish I had listened to Billy's warning on Capt. Fantastic. I thought that was pretty terrible, like some bad tv movie. Was very surprised Viggo M got a nom out of that.

I try to see the big sci-fi films. It's become a pretty major genre the past decade. Not sure exactly why, but I'd guess it's the combination of angst and worry following 9/11 along with much improved CGI.

Toni Erdmann is a German comedy quirkfest. It also poorly integrates globalization concerns in a rather facile manner. I didn't find it funny or believable at all. It's also long while its runtime felt even longer. Not sure hwo/why that made the nom shortlist. I liked Aferim! a good deal which was on the extended nom list but didn't make the final cut.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:52 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:

Wish I had listened to Billy's warning on Capt. Fantastic. I thought that was pretty terrible, like some bad tv movie. Was very surprised Viggo M got a nom out of that.

Viggo is a favorite of mine but I thought he was awful in this movie. I fully understand why he enjoyed playing a hippie, but miscasting doesn't get much worse.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Oct 2014 Posts: 278 Location: Winnipeg: It's a dry cold.
billyweeds wrote:
gromit wrote:

Viggo is a favorite of mine but I thought he was awful in this movie. I fully understand why he enjoyed playing a hippie, but miscasting doesn't get much worse.

I also didn't like the [/b]Capt. Fantastic movie.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Oct 2014 Posts: 278 Location: Winnipeg: It's a dry cold.
billyweeds wrote:
gromit wrote:

I also didn't like the [/b]Capt. Fantastic[/b] movie!

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't looking forward to the oscars because I thought LaLa Land would take everything. But everything up to Emma Stone's win was thrilling. I would have given that to Isabelle Huppert for sure.....probably being French hindered her. The others paled in comparison. But Emma Stone....no way. Honestly I think Annette Bening was robbed. She astonished me in 20th Century Women. The script for that film was so good it was nominated if anyone noticed. She was so deadpan witty and real in that film. ROBBED. The snafu at the end was hard to understand. Did they make duplicate copies of the Emma Stone card? No wonder Warren looked puzzled and handed it to Faye.

Very satisfying this year. Moonlight was my favorite film. Kimmel did a nice job. Low key. Down to earth with the shocked bus tourists filing in and the friendliness of the actors to them. Candy drops were cute. Only the Matt Damon targeting seemed overdone. Yeah for Casey, Viola, and Mahershala.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:27 pm Reply with quote
My disk-making friend turned off the show when the La La Land "win" was announced, emailing me about his disgust. I replied that he switched out too fast. He was astonished and delighted to hear about the real winner, but couldn't understand what happened. But at that point, no one did.
Syd
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Befade: Here's how I understand it. There are two sets of envelopes, one on each side of the stage since the presenters can enter on either side. Warren Beatty entered from the other side of the stage from Leonardo Di Caprio, and the person on that side of the stage handed him their copy of the Best Actress envelope instead of the Best Picture envelope. The envelope actually says which award it's for but they didn't check. Beatty noticed the mistake and showed it to Faye Dunaway but she thought he was giving her the winner of Best Picture and just read the movie on the card, which happened to be one of the Best Picture nominees. I guess if Huppert had won, Dunaway would have announced Elle and everyone would have been really confused.

Beatty probably should have said to the microphone that there had been a mistake, but it was really the fault of the people handling the envelopes.

This apparently happened once before in a minor category with Sammy Davis Jr. as the presenter, but he realized the mistake immediately because the "winner" wasn't one of the nominees.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I just saw that on ABC news. It really made for a confusing climax rather than a full on celebration.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I hadn't realized Robert Vaughn was left out of the In Memoriam segment. Remember when I did the movie quiz where the connecting links were Robert Vaughn (generally in terrible movies, but there was The Magnificent Seven)? Some of the others left out (Florence Henderson, Gary Shandling) were people I don't remember being in films at all, but Vaughn was in a lot.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Alan Rickman was missing from the memorial list as well, but he died in January '16, so I suppose he was in last year's. Annoying about Robert Vaughn--as a former UNCLE buff, I should have noticed he wasn't included. He did get an Oscar nomination for "The Young Philadelphians," I think it was, so he was certainly entitled.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:43 am Reply with quote
It was The Young Philadelphians. There was also a photo of a living woman shown with an actual deceased woman. But such gaffes pale next to the Beatty-Dunaway debacle. I blame the two of them almost as much as the person who gave them the wrong envelope. They should have simply said, "This is the wrong envelope." Seems pretty obvious.

The other thing about the ceremony that galls me is that Viola Davis's self-important, borderline offensive ("Actors are the only ones who understand the meaning of life") acceptance speech is being lauded as "eloquent" rather than as the overacted, over-rehearsed egofest it was. Davis is a great actor in the right part, and she was awesome in Fences, but she should have been nominated as Best Actress, not as Best Supporting. Naomie Harris's stunning turn in Moonlight deserved the supporting Oscar. How great would that have been--two black actresses winning both categories? Someone was afraid Viola would lose the top category, so they actually cheated. This happens occasionally, most notably in 1962, when Patty Duke's co-starring role in The Miracle Worker was miscategorized and beat Angela Lansbury's time-capsule performance in The Manchurian Candidate. It's always very annoying when that happens.

That said, I agree with all of the winners. Very happy that Affleck's amazingly nuanced performance was chosen rather than Denzel's wonderful but aim-for-the-second-balcony turn. And although there is a vocal minority angry that Isabelle Huppert lost to Emma Stone, I am happy with the choice of Stone, whose lovely, layered, non-actressy performance got even better on second viewing. Her work is indelible to me.
bartist
Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The other thing about the ceremony that galls me is that Viola Davis's self-important, borderline offensive ("Actors are the only ones who understand the meaning of life") acceptance speech is being lauded as "eloquent" rather than as the overacted, over-rehearsed egofest it was.....

I didn't see the speech (usually watch the last hour or 90 min. of AAs) but I would likely agree on the basis of that line. The ghosts of several Existentialists were heard moaning after that point. That sort of speech is why I liked Affleck's so much. Short, sweet, and dazed. Honestly, I really don't like award ceremonies, and if I didn't get drawn in by the bright lights and shiny people like some sort of Culture Moth, I would prefer just to catch highlights on video the next day. And, please, Academy, don't drop any more candy from the ceiling? Or pad your show out to 4 hours with Matt Damon is an Idiot sketches from the presenter? (Matt was a good sport) In fact, don't televise any of the boring awards, just have at the end of the televised part an end crawl of who won best set design, art, wardrobe, editing, etc. I know they're important....and I still don't care that much. At least not enough to watch sweaty nervous people who don't know how to make speeches tell me how great their agent and their mom is.

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:13 am Reply with quote
I like the wardrobe award scenes. They're usually fabulous outfits from flicks I'll never see.