Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

carrobin
Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
Last night Stephen Colbert brought that up during his opening monologue, and asked band leader Jon Batiste, "You guys all know each other, right? You all have meetings at Oprah's house?"
bartist
Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Something happened to me last night in Sweden. I was thinking "pickled herring" and this guy came out of nowhere with a plate of pickled herring. If you've seen "Repo Man" you might understand.

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
No explanation. No point in looking for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Here are my Oscar predictions, with my choices in parentheses. I did poorly last year, so I'm hoping to redeem myself.

Picture: La La Land (same, though I'd also be okay with Moonlight, Hidden Figures, maybe even Lion.
Actor: Casey Affleck (Ryan Gosling)
Actress Emma Stone (Same, but I only saw her and Steep
Directing: La La Land (same, but I also thought Gibson was excellent and he might upset)
Supporting Actor: Dev Patel (Mahershala Ali)
Supporting Actress: Viola Davis (Octavia Spencer, since Davis is a lead)
Cinematography: Moonlight (Same)
Editing: La La Land (Hacksaw Ridge)
Animated Feature: Kubo and the Two Strings (Same. Strong category this year)
Animated Short: Piper (same. This was the Pixar about the little bird at the sea shore. Outstanding.)
Costumes: Fantastic Beasts (Same)
Doc Feature: I Am Not Your Negro seems like the favorite.(no idea)
Doc Short: No idea
Live Short: No idea
Foreign: No idea
Makeup: Suicide Squad (same)
Sound Editing: Arrival (Hacksaw Ridge)
Sound Mixing: Rogue One (La La Land)
Visual Effects: Doctor Strange (Kubo and the Two Strings)
Original Screenplay: La La Land (same)
Adapted Screenplay: Moonlight (Hidden Figures. Very difficult category with five worthy nominees.)
Production design: La La Land
Original Score: La La Land (duh)
Song: City of Stars (Audition)

Last edited by Syd on Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
RIP Bill Paxton, age 61, of "complications following surgery." after forty years of varied roles. I hadn't realized that he was the police chief in "One False Move," which may be why I associate it in my head with "A Simple Plan." (Billy Bob Thornton also has major roles in the two movies.) I last saw him in "Agents of SHIELD" where he was Ward's mentor. Last film I saw him inwas Nightcrawler; he was in Edge of Tomorrow, too. He played Fred Haise in Apollo 13, so I've met a person he portrayed. He had the odd distinction of being killed by an Alien, a Predator and aTerminator.

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I've been nearly killed twice by "complications after surgery." Hospitals are more dangerous than spaceships.
bartist
Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:32 pm Reply with quote
You've met Fred Haise, Syd? I'll see your Fred Haise and raise you one Freeman Dyson. (a chance encounter, I don't usually travel in his, um, sphere....)

Agree about hospitals. Don't go in them unless I plan to come out with a toe tag. My dad was near 80, but not in too bad of a state of health, and taking good care of himself....went in for what seemed a minor mishap and that was all folks. Botched procedure, undetected blood loss until it was serious, etc.

Anyway, I saw this today.....

[url]WASHINGTON — President Trump, signaling a potential major shift in policy, told news anchors on Tuesday that he is open to a broad immigration overhaul that would grant legal status to millions of undocumented immigrants who have not committed serious crimes....[/url]

...and decided my cervical vertebrae cannot withstand watching the policy/mood swings of this lunatic-in-chief anymore. Normally, I would consider the ability to change one's mind to be a virtue in a person, but...

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Considering the shifts in the cosmic balance these days (the Oscars disruption being the latest instance, Hillary's loss being the main one last year, and there was that baseball thing), I feel I have to watch The Speech because aliens (outer space type) might land....

P.S. (post speech) Boring. No threats, no warnings, no crazy reports picked up from Fox or Twitter. I liked the Democrat response, though.
bartist
Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:09 am Reply with quote
"73 floors of David Pumpkins."

The standard baloney. Like the now infamous fake number, 94 million Americans out of work. Get back to work, Grandpa! Stop doing your homework, Susy, and get a job! Actual number of unemployed is 7.6 million. But yes, 94 million are not in the workforce, for obvious demographic reasons.

I stopped watching when he used the grieving widow as a prop.

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:23 am Reply with quote
The NY Times has a list of fact-checked items (the unemployed total included). Seems he mostly stuck to real facts but exaggerated them--the murder numbers are up from 2014, for example, but almost half of what they were in the '90s.
Befade
Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Yes, that widow was used. I got sick of the applause and the standing up republicans.

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:35 pm Reply with quote
One channel I check into occasionally has started showing "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" on Friday mornings, and I was watching it today while I had my yogurt and juice. And I realized that Ted Baxter was a combination of Trump (brain) and Vice President Pence (appearance).
Ted: "I gave [the new boss] a signed copy of Winston Churchill's memoirs."
Murray: "Where did you get a copy signed by Churchill?"
Ted: "Not signed by Churchill--signed by me!"
bartist
Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Never watched MTM, except a couple times at a friend's house, but I remember it was well-written. Watched Lou Grant a few times, too. (people sometimes thought I was weird and/or pretentious not owning a tv, but it just sorta happened. I really liked radio for news and music, back then, and was often just barely making rent and canned beans, so buying a tv was bottom of the priorities) So, scratching head, as to how I remember the characters....and realizing it was seeing a couple shows and then years of having that memory reinforced by people talking about the show, or seeing one of the actors on a talk show accompanied by clips from the show. So, by cultural osmosis, I get the Ted parallel.

For a while, back in 2015, I thought he might be Forest Trump, based on the capacity for turning every complex issue into an oversimplified Gump-ism. But as the dishonesty became more evident, that analog didn't work so well.

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:47 pm Reply with quote
The US really needs to do a better job with education. There are a lot of stupid people out there with ill-formed beliefs and opinions, but who are nevertheless adamant they are correct.

Just to take one issue, how can anyone seriously believe that the Earth is 6000 years old* or whatever tiny figure they derive from the Bible? Science can prove that hugely wrong in myriad ways. While ignorance of Western European lifestyles and standard of living pretty much insures the US never adopts any of their good ideas (despite Michael Moore's best efforts). Also more people going abroad might help Americans realize their are other ways of doing things and alternate opinions. America seems to be becoming more provincial and insular and unwilling to hear other ideas. Trump is a triumph of ignorance and bluster over intellect and rationality. Sad.

Only 40% of Americans over 25 have a college degree.
Just 35% have passports.

* this year is 5777 in the Jewish calendar.

Last edited by gromit on Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:53 pm Reply with quote
It's not just that some Americans are ignorant--it's that they're dam' proud of it.