Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

gromit
Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:30 am Reply with quote
I have Season 3 of the MTM Show on dvd. The only season that ever appeared on dvd here. It's really good, such a terrific cast. Sometimes I'll paused and go back to watch just how MTM does her thing. It's easy to see Ed Asner's approach and humor, but Mary's hesitating and stammering and gestures are really great and easy to miss on first blush. You know it works, but it just seamlessly blends in for the most part. But she's really does a fine job and makes it smooth and seem natural. Her timing is usually terrific.

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:24 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
carrobin wrote:
As I've said before, Republican politicians are attack dogs and Democratic politicians are service dogs.

Democrats are the very definition of wimpy. They need to grow a collective pair--and fast.

Case in point: Elizabeth Warren and Sherrod Brown are currently supporting Ben Carson in his Cabinet bid. Disgusting.

I was startled by that, esp. Eliz Warren, so much so that I'm off to research the story a bit. I don't think of Warren as wimpy at all. Will report back.

I think wimpiness is also found in moderate Republicans, many of whom are decent people of conscience who want the same things I want from good governance, but have a different fiscal approach. I don't think either party owns the absolute truth on fiscal policy or how best to make capitalism work for the betterment of people. I can respect the moderates understand that people are more important than ideological purity. There are basic principles of our democracy that I thought guys like Paul Ryan or Marco Rubio or John McCain or Mitt Romney believed in, principles most of us believe in, that I thought would compel them to absolutely oppose Trump at every turn. So far, most of the opposition seems to have feeble and/or staged (like Rubio and his show trial of Tillerson), and only McCain seems to be growing actual spine, rather belatedly.

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Stressing that Senate Democrats need to "turn up the heat" on a lot of Trump's other cabinet picks -- particularly Education Secretary nominee Betsy DeVos -- Warren added that she will won't hesitate to speak out against Carson if he fails to keep his promises.

"Dr. Carson's answers weren't perfect. But at his hearing, he committed to track and report on conflicts of interest at the agency. In his written responses to me, he made good, detailed promises on everything from protecting anti-homelessness programs to enforcing fair housing laws. Promises that - if they're honored - would help a lot of working families," she wrote in a Wednesday Facebook post.

"Can we count on Dr. Carson to keep those promises? I don't know," the senator continued. "People are right to be skeptical; I am. But a man who makes written promises gives us a toehold on accountability ... If Dr. Carson doesn't follow through on his commitments, I will be the very first person he hears from - loudly and clearly and frequently."

Acknowledging pushback she has received over her decision to support for Carson's confirmation, Warren argued that failure to do so may have resulted in a HUD nominee unwilling to even make such promises.

OK, sounds to me like Warren is being a politician here, making a calculation that another pick other than Carson would be worse. May have been the smart move. You have to pick your battles, right?

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:37 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
I have Season 3 of the MTM Show on dvd. The only season that ever appeared on dvd here. It's really good, such a terrific cast. Sometimes I'll paused and go back to watch just how MTM does her thing. It's easy to see Ed Asner's approach and humor, but Mary's hesitating and stammering and gestures are really great and easy to miss on first blush. You know it works, but it just seamlessly blends in for the most part. But she's really does a fine job and makes it smooth and seem natural. Her timing is usually terrific.

Mary was always in danger of being the most unappreciated member of the MTM cast. Her timing was superb but so seemingly effortless that it was easy to miss the consummate skill and talent behind it.
carrobin
Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Before Buffy Summers, there was Mary Richards, the image that inspired me--Emma Peel was the fantasy image, but Mary was the one whose show I discussed with my cousin (whose job was a lot like hers), and even with my boss (who once asked me if I thought of her as Mr. Grant). The characters who surrounded her could have been stereotypes, but they weren't--even Ted was a guy with dimension.

And yes, "Richard Diamond, Private Detective" was a favorite of mine back in the '50s. He was cooler than Peter Gunn, though not as cool as Johnny Staccato.
Syd
Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
He was Dick Powell on the radio, which once again proves that Powell was one of the truly omnipresent people in the history of entertainment.

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:36 am Reply with quote
I'd like to watch some MTM again. Not aware if reruns are on anywhere. Anybody know how many seasons there were and if there was a best?

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:42 am Reply with quote
The past few months I was watching MTM seasons on Youtube.
Just try to avoid the ones that are cropped or have ads.

Here are a few sites which can give you ideas of which episodes to try:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Mary_Tyler_Moore_Show_episodes
http://www.hblist.com/mtm/mtm.htm

S3 is pretty great.

S1 is interesting just for how they start out. Initially Phyllis is Mary's friend while Rhoda and Mary meet and are adversaries for most of an episode.

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:57 am Reply with quote
I don't like the wiki summaries that much. They give away some of the twists in plot. I've altered them slightly below to leave the twist vague/undisclosed.

Some MTM faves:

S3 E5 "It's Whether You Win or Lose" October 14, 1972
When Lou is kept from joining his poker pals in Las Vegas, he insists Mary set up a poker game at work, which becomes a problem for Murray

S3 E9 "Farmer Ted and the News" November 11, 1972
Lou realizes he has made a big mistake after he signs a new contract that allows Ted to earn extra money in outside appearances.

S3 13 "Operation: Lou" December 9, 1972
Lou goes to the hospital to have some shrapnel from World War II removed and leaves Mary in charge.

S5 E1 "Will Mary Richards Go to Jail?" September 14, 1974
When Mary refuses to reveal a source, she is found in contempt of court and is sent to jail, where she befriends two prostitutes.

Last edited by gromit on Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:20 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
I don't like the wiki summaries that much. They give away some of the twists in plot. I've altered them slightly below to leave the twist vague/undisclosed.

Some MTM faves:

S3 E5 "It's Whether You Win or Lose" October 14, 1972
When Lou is kept from joining his poker pals in Las Vegas, he insists Mary set up a poker game at work, which becomes a problem for Murray

S3 E9 "Farmer Ted and the News" November 11, 1972
Lou realizes he has made a big mistake after he signs a new contract that allows Ted to earn extra money in outside appearances.

S3 13 "Operation: Lou" December 9, 1972
Lou goes to the hospital to have some shrapnel from World War II removed and leaves Mary in charge.

S3 E1 "Will Mary Richards Go to Jail?" September 14, 1974
When Mary refuses to reveal a source, she is found in contempt of court and is sent to jail, where she befriends two prostitutes.

In the last episode you list, you mean S5 E1, it seems.
gromit
Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:46 am Reply with quote
You're right, I'll change that
Also, the prostitute returns and is featured later in S5. In E7 i think it is. Mary palling around with a jaded hooker is amusing stuff.

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:50 am Reply with quote
There's one episode I've been trying to track down.
Lou Grant tells a story about Jerkface Nelson, a bully from his school days. He says that Jerkface Nelson always had it in for him. Maybe it was because Lou was better looking than Jerkface. Or a smarter better student. Or because he was more popular. Or maybe it was because I gave him the nickname Jerkface. Whatever the case ... then he goes on to detail a fight. No idea which episode that is from ...

Last edited by gromit on Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:07 am Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
I'd like to watch some MTM again. Not aware if reruns are on anywhere. Anybody know how many seasons there were and if there was a best?

The Sundance Channel has been showing The MTM Show in blocks on Wednesday or Thursday mornings, but it looks like they kind of blew up the schedule recently. It looks like they're running MTM episodes tomorrow (Sat., Jan twenty-eight) from 6a - 8p.
gromit
Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Season 1 on youtube

Season 4 on youtube

S4 has no ads.

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm in the mood to start from the beginning. Lately I'm very caught up in watching tv series.....and I don't binge. So I find they take up a lot of time and I stick with them all the way through. Right now Catfish from MTV....a very interesting and sweet take on the kind of communications that happen on line. Sweet as opposed to cynical. And The Fall....mainly because I find Gillian Anderson very interesting...though I really am saturated with the story line. Interestingly, the actor who plays the serial killer is the actor who plays the romantic interest in The Fifty Shades of Gray films.