Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Rock n' Roll, Rap n' Crap

Syd
Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:00 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I was astonished Pete Seeger won the Woody Guthrie Prize because I thought he died twenty years ago. After all, the Weavers had a #1 song in 1950. The old commie is 94 years young and was still active last year. He lost his wife last year after seventy years of marriage.

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if 94 is long enough for a life, but 70 years is definitely long enough for a marriage.

In another musical genre....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbfa86bTD34

(greatest work of music ever composed)

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I grew up with classical music, (and rockn'roll when it came out), Beethoven's best symphonies 1st his 9th, 2nd his 3rd and 5th and 7th (a tie), then his 6th. That's my excellent rating. Cool

Speaking of 6th symphonies, a music teacher in our 8th grade asked us what Pathétique meant in Tchaikovsky's 6th symphony. Even though I was a fan of that symphony, I rose my hand and when she asked me what pathetique meant, I said 'pathetic'. She said, laughing, "Tchaikovsky wouldn't be very happy with that definition."
marantzo
Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
I was astonished Pete Seeger won the Woody Guthrie Prize because I thought he died twenty years ago. After all, the Weavers had a #1 song in 1950. The old commie is 94 years young and was still active last year. He lost his wife last year after seventy years of marriage.

The song was Goodnight Irene, I think. Leadbelly wrote and sung it originally.
bartist
Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Gary, funny about "Pathetique" - and Beethoven has a Pathetique sonata, which is one of his best.

Seeger was just one of those all-round great people. Did a lot of work on behalf of the Hudson River, too. He made me think the banjo would be easy, when I was in my teens, and I bought one. It wasn't as easy as he made it look - I don't have much aptitude for fretted instruments, with rather inflexible and short fingers.

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:12 am Reply with quote
RIP Johnny Winter. Great guitarist. Last report I heard, they haven't figured out his cause of death. He took a very gutsy approach to going public about his heroin addiction back in the 70s.
Syd
Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:30 am Reply with quote
I was thinking about seeing Der Meistersinger until I discovered it was six hours long, a length I always associated with Wagner. Then Rod explained that it was Wagner. I've got plans later this afternoon so it's a good thing I checked.

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0-czNkyPQDA

- piano goddess

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:11 am Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Oct 2014 Posts: 278 Location: Winnipeg: It's a dry cold.
Boy was she good!

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:21 pm Reply with quote
RIP: Bernie Worrell. No, I didn't know his name, but he was the keyboardist for Parliament/Funkadelic, for Talking Heads on "Take Me to the River" and "Burning Down the House" and is in the movie Stop Making Sense, and was most recently seen as Meryl Streep's keyboardist in Ricky and the Flash, from which I remember him quite well. Died of lung cancer. Fuck cigarettes.

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:36 pm Reply with quote
So I just realize that the talented bluegrass guy, Chris Thile, who just last week took the reins of Prairie Home Companion from Garrison Keillor, is married to the actress
who plays Adelind on "Grimm."

First 2 eps of PHC II are podcasts, along with videos of some segments. Some good music, and the focus is now more a musical variety show than the old L. Wobegon, Guy Noir, etc. Good to see new blood.

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Here's a mix of Christmas music -- blues, soul, gospel, 50's R&B, jazz, even a dollop of doowop.
I listen to this mix at any time of the year.
Enjoy!

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:51 am Reply with quote
I'm absolutely astonished Henry Belafonte is appearing at OU next Wednesday because I thought he'd died a decade or so ago. He's turning 90 on March 1. I don't think he's singing, but talking about activism. Still, the world's a bit brighter today.

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:05 pm Reply with quote
He seems to be the exact same age as the well known singer HARRY Belafonte.

Seriously, good for him, keeping active. Every day-o.

Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Amazing coincidence, that.

Got another Mozart opera, Idomeneo, by the Met this weekend. This is from 1780-1, six years before The Marriage of Figaro, which is the first of the five classic Mozart operas I'm familiar with, and I know nothing about it. I expect the music to be excellent, the opera to be quite good, and lower my expectations a bit because it is six years before his best opera. He was doing a lot of operas on classical themes at the time, but I'm not sure he was up to Salieri's quality at that point.