Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

bartist
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:31 am Reply with quote
I was born near Chicago, and this is what an uncle told me, which I've fact-checked as best as I can....

The White Stockings (who later gave up the name to another team nearby) were the original team. Then they became the Colts, and under the leadership of player, then manager, "Cap" Anson, became a big league power. When Anson left them, sports reporters started referring to them as the Orphans. Then, early 20th century, there was a bear theme for sports team nicknames in the town, so when the Orphans were "reborn" under new ownership, the press started calling them the Cubs, as in bear cubs, and that name caught on. In a few years, as the NFL organized, they also went with the ursine theme and called their football team the Chicago Bears.

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
They were also known as the Spuds between 1898 and 1906, as in this story: http://www.chicagotribune.com/cs-060714cubs06-htmlstory.html. However, the name Cubs also became popular around 1902. (I only know this because I was looking up the famous 1908 pennant race which featured Merkle's Boner.)

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
This is a good reference for years and wins and stats and such.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHC/
You can also follow the name changes. It is a bit odd that the Cubs were the original White Sox (White Stockings back then), but gave up the name which another Chicago team later took on. I guess the White Sox revived the name in order to seem more legit instead of newbies. Seems Stockings in the 19th C and then Sox in the 20th was the rule.

St Louis started off as the Brown Stockings, switched to the Browns the next year, and didn't become the Cardinals until 1900. For some reason they spent one year (1899) as the St Louis Perfectos.

I thought there was a Blue Stockings team at one point way back, but I'm not finding it. Maybe I made that up.
Edit: Toledo Blue Stockings in the American Association just one year 1884. There was also the Worcester Ruby Legs for 3 years in the NL in the 1880's.

Last edited by gromit on Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:16 pm Reply with quote
The football Bears played in Wrigley Field for around 30 years.
The field was cramped so one corner of the endzone was nearly in the dugout. It's odd, I assumed that the Chicago Bears played in Soldier Field forever, but they only moved there in 1971 as the NFL was expanding and demanded that teams have large stadiums (50K or larger).

It seems that Soldier Field hosted college football games and such. I guess back then college football was a bigger draw than professional. I just figured old football team played in old stadium forever. The Chicago Bears modeled their C logo on that of the University of Chicago which was an early college football powerhouse. Their coach was Amos Alonzo Stagg Sr., the man responsible for the creation of the tackling dummy, the reverse, man in motion, the lateral pass, and numbered uniforms. The first Heisman winner in the mid-30's was from the U of C. Then they killed the football program as being incompatible with education, conducted nuclear experiments under the old stadium bleachers (including the first sustained nuclear chain reaction by Enrico Fermi's team) and finally built the school library on top of the old football field. The joke was that 2nd level basement would glow at night from the 1940's nuclear tests.

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to all y'all who sent birthday greetings--as if I need reminding!

New challenge: how will the Trump campaign manage to blame Hillary for Pence's plane malfunction?
bartist
Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:08 am Reply with quote
Happy 39th birthday, Carro.

No challenge at all for Trump...just say that Hillary and Obama allowed too many Muslims into the country and a few became aviation mechanics. "Believe me, folks, I've got people looking into it....this is just going to get worse...."

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Oct 2014 Posts: 278 Location: Winnipeg: It's a dry cold.
Carro, Happy Birthday!!!

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Happy Birthday my age-mate, Carol.

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Marantz, and remember, Befade, that Mick Jagger is our age as well--the goal is to keep away from the rocking chair and keep up with the rocker, it seems.
Syd
Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I just realized that the reason I've never been attacked by vampires or mummies is that I'm a cat person. See "Let the Right One In" and "The Mummy" (Brendan Fraser version) for details.

Don't do a thing for werewolves, as near as I can tell.

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:32 am Reply with quote
Cats?
I have a mere dozen:
- 2 indoor (lived in the garden for 3 years)
- 4 garden cats
- 6 roof cats

Roof cats are even divided into two groups, those above the garden back wall and those on the side wall.
The back roof has 4 cats, and actually has a curved plastic roof over it as it's used for storage. Then another two roof cats hang out on the side roof, because they are afraid of the other older/bigger back roof cats. Really I'd say I feed 11 cats every day, and the tuxedo male comes by about every other day, and only waiting for food roughly twice a week. He's a semi-regular. Not many males -- I think he's the only roof male, so he's the boss.

Strangely 7 of my 12 cats are white.
The mother of a number of them is all white and has one green and one blue eye. I neutered the garden cats (except for the boy) and the side roof cats. Guess I need to trap and start on the back roof cats.

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Carol....and Robert DeNiro and Ben Kingsley as well. Love your rocking chair quote. By the way, how are your knees these days?

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Get off your rocker. Get up and dance with him

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
Get off your rocker. Get up and dance with him

My knees are doing fine--i'm not even using my cane on the subway now--but I think dancing with Mick (or even Ben Kingsley) would be a stretch too far.
bartist
Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:18 am Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
Thanks, Marantz, and remember, Befade, that Mick Jagger is our age as well--the goal is to keep away from the rocking chair and keep up with the rocker, it seems.

....speaking of memes that might catch on. Good one!

And good to know that Gromit, Syd, and I are vampire-resistant. We usually have one of the cats on our bed when asleep, so I guess that's the ideal protective shield. I have noticed that if they climb on my chest or stomach, to wake me up, my eyes water a bit...someone told me once that all humans ae at least slightly allergic to cat dander. Small price to pay.

]