Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

gromit
Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, Hoover had over 3 years to deal with the economic crash of '29, and generally made it worse. He signed the Smoot–Hawley Tariff into law which crippled int'l trade. Stuck to the notion of balanced budgets and so raised taxes during the depression. Hoover also made Mellon his Sec of Treasury and Mellon's Depression advice was to do nothing and let it all play out. Hoover did enact some federal building projects which were greatly expanded by FDR. And like modern-day Repubs, Hoover also clung to failed Prohibition. Though I have to wonder why Obama hasn't done more to combat/limit/end the War on Drugs, or at the very least remove marijuana form being a Class 1 drug.

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:58 am Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
Just discovered this, Joss Whedon's Super Pac video pitch (Billy, you'll enjoy Ruffalo's bit)...

www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/joss-whedon-launches-super-pac-931046

Thanks, Carol. I did enjoy Ruffalo's "bit." The whole thing, however, was a little too cute and "in" for my complete satisfaction. Hope it works, though. The future of the planet is at stake in a way it never has been before. Trump is the worst since Hitler.
gromit
Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:31 am Reply with quote
I'm hoping that Billy's 20,000 post will tell us how Obama was like Lincoln ...

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:24 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
....Trump is the worst since Hitler.

Hillary is, or rather was? a monster. Mitt Romney was a monster. Obama is the new Lincoln. Should I enlist my grand kids in the Trump Youth?
billyweeds
Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:19 pm Reply with quote
yambu wrote:
billyweeds wrote:
....Trump is the worst since Hitler.

Hillary is, or rather was? a monster. Mitt Romney was a monster. Obama is the new Lincoln. Should I enlist my grand kids in the Trump Youth?

Post 20,000: Correction: Trump is the worst since Joe McCarthy, who was the worst since Hitler. Compared with Trump, Nixon is Gandhi.
carrobin
Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Watching the debate--Trump's facial expressions are cracking me up.
Syd
Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12889 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I'm skipping it because I'm out of alcohol.

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Trump clearly had plenty on hand...

"400 pound person sitting on a bed somewhere..."  

Christie heard that line from Trump (during his cyber-espionage blather) and had to shut off his tv and shed tears.   

Donald can be so hurtful sometimes....

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I think Pence irritates me more than Trump does. His facility with lies and misdirection and subject-changing is almost frightening. And that isn't even counting his political ideology. If Trump is the Antichrist, Pence is a perfect Mephistopheles. (But of course we all know Dubya was the Antichrist and Cheney was Mephistopheles, though Republicans prefer to blame Obama as usual.)
gromit
Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I hardly remember who Pence is.
The only two things I've heard about him lately:
1) he said that he wanted to model his potential VP on Cheney -- which is a hugely scary proposition and also seemed to intimate that Trump was going to be a hands-off POTUS and allow Pence to make a lot of decisions and f-up at will
2) he said that human activity is involved in climate change, actually citing ... science. He was kind of vague and thought it might be limited, but he actually acknowledged human involvement in climate change -- which is more than most GOPers are willing to do the past decade plus.

Hopefully Kaine gets into these things in the Veep debate, though nobody really cares much about that VP debate.

I thought Hillary did real well, seemed knowledgeable, prepared, smart, upbeat, serious. Vs. Donald's bluster, rudeness, arrogance and ramblings. Hillary really scored on Trump's unwillingness to release his tax returns. On his putdowns of women. On his birther and other racial troubles. I thought it was also very good how she always called him Donald instead of Trump

A few missed ops too:
- she mentioned his bankruptcies, but not hard enough. and never got into the Trump "University" fraud (or him buying off the FL AG to not prosecute)
- She let him slide with linking his tax cuts to Reagan without mentioning Bush' tax cuts and how that turned the Clinton surplus into Bush deficits leading to the Depression 2.0
- She missed an opportunity to say that the Clinton job growth, economy and boom were all better than Reagan (when Trump said he'd have the best job growth since Reagan).
- Hillary probably should have called Trump out for interrupting at least once. Can't let him do his alpha male routine and without a complaint it starts to look as if the interruptions are acceptable.

I've been saying this for a while, but don't understand why Hillary doesn't pummel the Bush disaster (and tie Trump's tax cuts for the wealthy to it) and doesn't tout the Clinton economic boom (which she was part of).

Otherwise I was amused in the debate when Trump brought up stamina -- deflecting from his sexist comment that Hillary doesn't look presidential -- and not only did Hillary come up with a good answer touting her achievements as Sec of State, but Trump also appeared to be losing steam and focus, going into full bluster mode, started sniffling a lot. It was as if Trump was falling apart and barely making it to the end, while Hillary was revving, up, getting into her groove, and could have gone on another hour or two.

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:48 pm Reply with quote
There are supposed to be two more debates, so maybe Hillary will bring up those subjects. And it seems that Trump is itching to bring up Bill's transgressions, to the point of congratulating himself that he resisted last night because Chelsea was present (he respects his daughter's BFFs, it seems). I think he really misses his cheering section.
gromit
Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:34 am Reply with quote
If Trump brings up Bill's infidelities, Hillary can make the point that they worked out their troubles and stuck together and remained married, while Trump in contrast is on his 3rd wife (each getting younger). But Hillary should ask Trump point blank if he ever cheated on any one of his three wives. And not let him off, because the answer is almost certainly yes he did (he was publicly going around with Marla Maples while still married to Ivana (or whatever her name is/was).

Also, bringing up Bill's indiscretions doesn't negatively portray Hillary. In fact she was the victim. And can just say that that was a tough period for their marriage, but she stuck with the love of her life, and it was best for Chelsea and for the Clinton family that she eventually forgave Bill for the pain he caused.

I just don't see how Bill's bimbos reflects negatively on Hillary. This GOP meme that Hillary enabled Bill's willy adventures seems really weak.

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:12 am Reply with quote
One remark Hillary made that got ignored, to my surprise, was when she said Trump doesn't think women should be paid as much as men unless they perform as well. Does she think women should be paid as much even if they do less? No one challenged this comment, which seemed odd, especially if Holt is really a registered Republican. I would think it was a slip of the tongue on her part, but still it seemed to demonstrate how dull-witted Trump can be when he has to think on his feet. He simply didn't react, or at least question her unfortunate wording.

Generally, HRC will eat Trump for breakfast, on any issue. I see the AZ Republic, a conservative bastion since 1890, has endorsed Clinton, their first Dem endorsement ....ever.

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:23 am Reply with quote
[quote="bartist"]One remark Hillary made that got ignored, to my surprise, was when she said Trump doesn't think women should be paid as much as men unless they perform as well. Does she think women should be paid as much even if they do less?[quote]

I caught that too--maybe she meant to say "even if they perform better"? He does seem to have hired and paid women reasonably in his construction business, so that doesn't seem to be one of his serious weaknesses.

My rabid-right-wing emails have been full of charges that Trump was the victim of all kinds of sabotage by Lester Holt and CNN (a liberal bastion of course), but he won the debate anyway, and incidentally a Clinton pal murdered somebody. Very entertaining stuff.
gromit
Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure Clinton was saying that Trump doesn't believe in equal pay for equal work -- ie that a woman should get a starting salary equal to a man for the same job type/opening. That according to Trump a woman needs to prove her competence in order to get the same pay rate as a man. Which is by definition gender discrimination.

Everyone seems to agree that HRC smacked Trump around pretty good, and that Trump was often rambling, bullying and at times incoherent. Yet the criticism I see of Hillary is that she was too wonkish and policy oriented. I didn't think she overly relied on policy prescriptions. And I'm not sure why that's considered a bad thing. As though details are a negative. I guess we're fortunate that the shallow media approved of her smiling and laughing instead of making it into a Gore-sighing type of negative.

Otherwise, what the hell did Donald mean when he said that Hillary had been fighting ISIS her entire adult life? (I guess she founded it when she was a teenager?)

Last edited by gromit on Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total