Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

bartist
Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
Holy crap. Downton fans see the above posting. We just saw the Xmas show.

Well, ahem, all I can say is that the showrunner and writers seem to know the art of foreshadowing.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:44 am Reply with quote
I think Julian Fellowes was the only writer. He said in one interview that they tried out others, but they couldn't seem to fit into the atmosphere of the narrative. (That's not a quote, but it's the general idea.)
bartist
Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
The Americans.

Saw 1st season three years ago, really liked it, then life got busy and never saw more. Started season 2 this week, and it's every bit as good. At the risk of Weedian hyperbole, I'm not sure any actors have ever played spies better than Keri Russell and Matt Rhys. There's a wickedly difficult "layers" situation, where they are actors playing people who have to constantly pose as different characters while still somehow giving us tiny glimpses of their "real" selves. And switching between the fully fraudulent roles, like "Clark," and the partially false personas they show their children while hoping to somehow nurture them into fully authentic people. I'm dazzled.

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:10 am Reply with quote
Every tv series has to start showing weak spots after three or four seasons. I thought Downton Abbey might shirk this duty, but no, it seems that Season 5 has fulfilled it with the improbable and peculiar Marigold subplot. Neither of us can figure out how anyone would go along with Edith in her harebrained tactics, or how her parents could really not figure out what was going on with that mysterious 10-month trip to Switzerland. She had a hankering to take French lessons and "get away" ? REALLY? Cora swallowed this? As well as swallowing the preposterous machinations with the farmer family adoption and Edith's seemingly bizarre obsessiveness over the child?

Otherwise, the show remains better than the usual PBS imports, and we remain fairly glued.

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I'm really glad to have Blindspot back to start the new TV season, with a very good first episode. This season, we get to infiltrate the terrorist organization Jane Doe escaped from through amnesia. I'm disappointed her real name is apparently Remi when I was hoping it was Lydia. On the other hand, her brother is Roman, which makes a nice classical reference which makes no real sense in context. (They were twins raised by wolves?) Archie Panjabi is great as the NSA operative also searching for Jane/Remi's former partners, and I fear she is secretly evil.

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:19 am Reply with quote
Jimmy Kimmel was a good host for the Emmy's. Some good laughs.

bartist
Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:53 am Reply with quote
The only new series that's getting much if any hype is ABC's "Designated Survivor." I missed the pilot Wednesday (September is usually my big mountain climbing month here, and the lodge restaurant we went to after coming down from the climb had 3 staff and a giant bus tour to feed, so we sat for a long time before we figured out we would never be fed, and to drive into Spearfish* and go to a great Mexican place instead) but I figure they will run it again on the weekend somewhere.

Anyone see it?

* As if I haven't digressed enough already, I must add that the Guadalajara Restaurant in Spearfish, SD may possibly be the finest Mex cuisine anywhere north of the Texas border. The service is stellar, the decor is perfect and cheery, and I have yet to order anything there that doesn't melt in your mouth and clean your sinuses without blistering your tongue.

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:00 am Reply with quote
I caught the last half of "Designated Survivor," and couldn't help wondering how many people are going to write in Kiefer Sutherland on Election Day.

The only new show I've really watched was "The Good Place," which made me laugh out loud at least twice. Smart and funny and even a bit thought-provoking.
Befade
Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I was dismayed that a new show would be about an attack on the Capitol during the President's state of the Union address.....killing everyone present. Aren't we aware of enough unexpected violence in our country without a catastrophe like this being presented as entertainment?

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Oct 2014 Posts: 278 Location: Winnipeg: It's a dry cold.
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
I was dismayed that a new show would be about an attack on the Capitol during the President's state of the Union address.....killing everyone present. Aren't we aware of enough unexpected violence in our country without a catastrophe like this being presented as entertainment?

I agree, they could have delayed for a few months--but no doubt the network money guys decided that an election-year debut would be a ratings winner.
Syd
Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Befade wrote:

Isn't that more or less how Jack Ryan became President?

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
At the risk of sounding like my grandmother circa 1958, the entertainment industry is leaning far too much on violence (nevermind that I saw "The Vikings" that year, which was heavily criticized for its violence, and it's still one of my favorites). But now that the Republicans have presented themselves as attack dogs, as opposed to the service-dog Democrats, and seem to be very successful in that role, it does seem that the entertainment media are surfing that wave with far too much enthusiasm. Trump's appeal has a lot to do with the acceptance of the idea that attacking "the other" with lethal intent is not only macho but heroic. I just hope we can still dial back that new "American dream" beloved of the dissatisfied white male.
bartist
Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:59 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
I caught the last half of "Designated Survivor," and couldn't help wondering how many people are going to write in Kiefer Sutherland on Election Day.

The only new show I've really watched was "The Good Place," which made me laugh out loud at least twice. Smart and funny and even a bit thought-provoking.

Currently watching The Good Place. Yes. Thanks for the tip!

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Syd....Who is Jack Ryan?