Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

bartist
Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:59 am Reply with quote
Haven't seen FN or FD. "Nemo fanatic" is a concept with which I am unfamiliar. At some point, maybe grandchildren will arrive in my life and I will find out what it's all about.

There are a lot of "finding Nemo" jokes made around here, due to there being a village called Nemo about 20 miles west of here. It helps to know that a street called W. Chicago eventually turns into Nemo Road.

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:24 pm Reply with quote
The big news is that "Finding Dory" had a record-setting opening weekend. Not that it's a surprise, since "Nemo" was so popular, but still. It's kind of nice to know that folks are going to the movies for more than superhero CG tricks (not that there's anything wrong with that). Also, it's nice to see Ellen and Albert in a blockbuster--even if one doesn't "see" them, so to speak.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Ellen and Albert are two of my favorite performers, so yes, it's great to see them in a blockbuster, and a non-violent movie, too.
bartist
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/true-story-free-state-jones-180958111/

We decided to WFC on the film, didn't sound all that great, but the story of the actual
Jones County, MS is interesting.

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:13 pm Reply with quote
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/06/27/opinion/white-savior-rape-and-romance.html
bartist
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:42 am Reply with quote
Most BB software now includes a thumb-up function, which is sorta handy for rooms like this. If you are just looking in, don't want to post a response (maybe no time, or you're on a smartphone and cnat tpye fr shti), but you found another posting useful or interesting, you can just click the thumb button on that post and it says something like "Fred liked this post." Lorne could probably install it easily, if there's interest.

Anyway, I liked your link, Knox. Yet another instance of "black people can't solve their problems, or have them understood, without white angels...."

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Nothing? Crickets?

OK, moving this place to the once-per-week list.

Let me ask the question plainly. It's a MB to discuss film. People tend to make certain genres, themes, a lifelong interest. So where do they go, on the web, when they partake of these cultural offerings and 3rd Eye no longer is cutting it? What's out there that's better? Where's the good conversation moved to? Or is there just no more to say to your old aficionado friends....you'd rather just watch, eat your popcorn, talk to the spouse or the cat or the dude on the next barstool and be done with it....youve heard it all before, nothing new under the sun, all is vanity.

How many websites just devolve into a race between self-promotion and stifling boredom? Everyone talking, no one listening? Put your finger on the button, ask yourself "why am I posting here? who gives a shit?" Maybe that's it, a creeping doubt that anything really exists in the matrix?

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:01 am Reply with quote
I just haven't been watching movies lately.
And the golden age of pirated dvd's has passed, so I don't pick up much new anymore.
When I do watch films, I tend to comment on them here.
Other folks might be busy, not watching films, etc.

As for the thumbs up idea, I don't like it.

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:54 am Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Oct 2014 Posts: 278 Location: Winnipeg: It's a dry cold.
I saw Love & Friendship yesterday. I've read of a few who have watched it and gave it high numbers. Well I have seen it and I didn't think it was great, but it was okay and did have a lot of funny things. It only ran for about an hour and a half. I found the first parts of being sort of boring but it got better as it went along.
Well I relaxed watching it.

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:55 am Reply with quote
t's easy to compare Rebecca Miller's delightful new romantic dramedy Maggie's Plan with the best of Woody Allen, but it's not quite fair to Miller. She has more on her mind than Allen usually does. The new movie is more than amusing enough to qualify as a comedy, and one in the classic "La Ronde" manner, but it's also intermittently sad and disturbing, with depth of character that puts all recent Woody Allen movies to shame.

Greta Gerwig, the current "it" girl of independent film, plays an MBA with a somewhat indefinable position at The New School. She wants to get pregnant but knows she's not a very reliable partner, so she finds a sperm donor (Travis Fimmel) and goes for it, but in the meantime she falls in love with a freelance academic (Ethan Hawke) who is trapped in a loveless marriage with a tenured Columbia professor (Julianne Moore). And off we go.

The cast is marvelous, the shots of NYC in winter and spring are yummy, and the plot machinations are unpredictable and believable at the same time. There are a couple of dullish spots, but overall it's a total keeper.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:57 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
Nothing? Crickets?

Let me ask the question plainly. It's a MB to discuss film.

Okay, you got me again. What is MB?

I won't expect an answer right away, since you've moved this site to your once-a-week list. Sorry to read that.

Also taking it personally that you knocked the self-promotion angle. I don't know whether you were alluding to my mention of the appearance on line of a film I'm in, but, if you were, I just thought people might be interested. Sorry.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
billyweeds wrote:
bartist wrote:
Nothing? Crickets?

Let me ask the question plainly. It's a MB to discuss film.

Okay, you got me again. What is MB?

I won't expect an answer right away, since you've moved this site to your once-a-week list. Sorry to read that.

Also taking it personally that you knocked the self-promotion angle. I don't know whether you were alluding to my mention of the appearance on line of a film I'm in, but, if you were, I just thought people might be interested. Sorry.
Massage Board. Very relaxing if you are tense.

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
No, BW, ya got it backwards....meant this website is NOT about self-promotion the way many others can be. Which is why I was asking what's better out there. The projects you are involved with, you present as team efforts you had the good fortune to join with. This place is Humility Central, compared to many MBs, which often seem more like megaphone calibration chambers. Again, the "how many websites" referred to other places far more suited to a toetag.

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:39 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
No, BW, ya got it backwards....meant this website is NOT about self-promotion the way many others can be. Which is why I was asking what's better out there. The projects you are involved with, you present as team efforts you had the good fortune to join with. This place is Humility Central, compared to many MBs, which often seem more like megaphone calibration chambers. Again, the "how many websites" referred to other places far more suited to a toetag.

Had a moment of paranoia. I trust you, bartist. Sorry for my oversensitivity.
gromit
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:57 am Reply with quote
Funny, I was just walking into a nearby large supermarket and somebody tapped my arm. Turns out to be the couple who ran my local dvd store until they closed almost 2 years ago. Seems they are still selling dvd's out of their home. I had just bought a few dvd's minutes before at a shop that charges a little more than these old sellers do.
So maybe that will get me buying more dvd's -- though I don't know how big the selection is in their home. I did show them the two dvd's I just bought and they said they had them -- a 3 disc Criterion package of Jan Troell film and another copy of The Peanuts Movie (I gave away my other one to a friend with a 2 year old and this one will be a gift to a friend with a 6 year old .. after I watch it again).

As for Jan Troell, I think I've only seen Everlasting Moments (2008) which was quite nice in an understated manner. Sort of a sepia nostalgia piece about a woman circa 1900 gaining confidence and independence after she accidentally takes up photography.

I'm looking forward to The New Land (1972) and The Emigrants (1971) which are supposed to be his masterworks.

The pirate dvd train has partly slowed because the dvd market in the West has slowed. But also because most folks in China just download movies for free. Also, for me, Criterion has largely been a letdown, as they spend most of their time releasing nice editions of films I already have on Dvd.