Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

bartist
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:17 am Reply with quote
Kind of surreal, all this news from England while we watch DA. Very sad for the murdered MP. Hope Brexit is defeated...it sounds like a nightmare for their economy, and all their trade agreements, if nothing else.

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:08 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Caught up with"Bones" but come on, you've set up this big cliffhanger with the Puppet Master and absolutely nobody has made a mention of it for well over a month? Give us a break.

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:32 pm Reply with quote
My phone just rang, and someone read me a string of numbers. Apparently, some CBS series about an artificial intelligence has been cancelled, and I'm supposed to convert latitude/longitude numbers into the street address of Jim Caviezel's agent and send her a pitch for a spinoff series in which Mr. Reese is reconstituted from tissue samples and a 98.4 percent personality simulation uploaded to Machine and encrypted on a server farm hidden under a nail salon in Omaha.

All I can promise is:

MORE CARRIE PRESTON.

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Let me know when it's scheduled. I feel like I've been dragged through a wringer, but it was good to see Shaw (with Bear) and Fusco still on their feet at the end. And it seems that the Machine had learned how to reconstitute itself, after all...
I've decided that Jonathan Nolan belongs on that high pedestal where I keep Joss Whedon. I'm sure they'll get along very well.
knox
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:34 am Reply with quote
Nolan has another series coming, also about AI, so he's firming his stance on that pedestal....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westworld_%28TV_series%29

Satisfying conclusion to PoI. Reese was the stuff of legend when he was alive, so his move into official legend seemed natural. His trajectory always seemed fatal, and he always had the air of a man waiting for the other shoe to drop. Samaritan, which if you remove "mari" from the middle, was "Satan," seems to be off to the bottomless pit of complete file corruption. Finch and his lovebird move on, perhaps to a sunny villa in Tuscany. Interesting that Shaw finally had a moment of emotion, thanks to a supercomputer saying just the right thing.
carrobin
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
That moment with Finch confused me--after all the flashback/predictions the Machine had shown him about the others, it seemed to be a kind of fantasy "what if he survived" scene. But I'll take it as real, as unlikely as such a happy ending seems for this series.
bartist
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:57 am Reply with quote
The fact that Harry was ambulatory for a while, after being wounded in the vault, suggests it was a survivable injury. So I'll take it as real, too.

Westworld looks fun. now that i think about it, surprising that no one had adapted the movie before now.

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:26 am Reply with quote
DOWNTON SPOILERY

Midway through Season 3, the spouse and I arrived at the very sad episode in which Sybil dies, at age 24, of eclampsia. My but we have become so attached to these people. I am quite angry at Tim Pigot-Smith! He plays the celeb doctor (ministering to royals and peers) whose stubbornness leads to Lord Robert ignoring the family doctor's advice (and Cora's intuitive sense) to hospitalize Sybil while there might still be time. The only thing helping us carry on is knowing that exculpatory evidence has now been discovered for Mr. Bates.

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:10 am Reply with quote
Just the mention of that episode brings up much emotion--its effect on me was increased by my own unfortunate experiences with doctors.
carrobin
Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Spent most of this Saturday watching the "Mr. Robot" marathon. I had watched the show originally but couldn't really keep up much of an interest, as it was so complex and I didn't really like most of the characters; I stayed with it mostly because of Christian Slater, and because the main character, Elliot, was strangely intriguing--and because another woman at my office was hooked on it and liked to discuss it. Then it had a knockout finale, and I wished I'd paid more attention. I didn't know it was going to be something of a phenomenon, winning a Peabody. So I watched the last six or so hours of the marathon and it was much easier to keep up with the knotty plot, and I was surprised at how much I had missed--there was a murder? Anyway, I'll definitely be front and center on Wednesday for the start of the second season.

Of course, it's no "Person of Interest," even if it is all about how computers run our lives. (I think it would be a nice mind-bender joke if Michael Emerson wandered through an office at some point.)
bartist
Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:45 am Reply with quote
Seems I should check out Mr. Robot. Will try not to miss the murder. Heh.

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Right now, my favorite thing on TV is that McConaughey commercial with the two dogs in the back of the car.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:07 am Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Oct 2014 Posts: 278 Location: Winnipeg: It's a dry cold.
Laughing

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:06 am Reply with quote
A career constructed of Lincoln dogs.

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:11 am Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
Just the mention of that episode brings up much emotion--its effect on me was increased by my own unfortunate experiences with doctors.

Oh, dear. Yes, I can imagine it would. We forged ahead through Season 3 (all but the Xmas show) but are a bit nervous at how perfect Mary and Matthew are together, how cinematic and rosy their kissing scenes are....makes me think something terrible is going to happen. Maybe I watch too much American tv.