Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

carrobin
Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Just read about Safer on my NY Times update. The folks at CBS must have known he didn't have long--they had an extra hour of "60 Minutes" about his career last weekend. It's good when you enjoy your work enough to delay retirement until you're that close, though.
Syd
Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Meanwhile, my shows are all having their season finales. Actually, Elementary did it a week ago and Agents of SHIELD on Tuesday. Grey's Anatomy right now. Grimm tomorrow and Blindspot on Monday. After that, I catch up on season three of Ripper Street and possibly watch The Magicians.

Of these, I think I like Blindspot the best, despite my making fun of the first episode. Ripper Street had an extremely good first episode for season three, involving an attempt to hijack some bonds by hijacking a train, which caused a near accident solved by rerouting another train (the London Necropolis), then a true tragedy caused by said rerouting. The series has so much historical accuracy that I had to make sure this was actually fiction. And the solution to this tragedy will lead in a direction absolutely none of the major characters want it to go.

I do find it amusing that the only male character who is clean-shaven (Matthew MacFayden's Edmund Reid) is a real person who in real life sported a magnificent beard.

Season 4's already aired but I'll have to wait for it.

Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:57 am Reply with quote
Grimm has gotten interesting, with all the Black Claw converts - Hank's honey-trap GF, Renard (now mayor of Portland), and Adelind being pressured in her maternal weak spots. Will be interesting to see if Nick can fight City Hall. At the very least, I hope he can get a sword to Renard's neck and induce him to lower Portland's property taxes (I used to live there - not exactly a tax paradise).

Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:54 am Reply with quote
Nice "no comment needed" on "Bones" last night, as the scientists were grouped around a corpse that had been partly eaten by lab mice. Someone asks why the mice were so hungry, and someone else says they were being denied food as part of a Pavlovian experiment about reactions to ringing a bell. One of the scientists remarks that mice will do anything in response to a bell, and another replies, "Mice have very small brains." Then someone's phone rings, and they all simultaneously reach in their pockets--and look at each other rather guiltily.
bartist
Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:23 pm Reply with quote
They were rats, i think. I liked that scene...also, good to see Hodgins more his old self...and unnerving Angela and Cam with his rat buddy. The Glee plotline was not much, but it's nice to check in.

Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:17 pm Reply with quote
I was sad to learn most of the rats had died. Poor rats. Though at least they died on a full stomach.

I'm watching it now and looking for the Brain.

Posted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:32 am Reply with quote
Grimm had a nice season finale with lots of nice plot points going forward. I always wonder why the whole city of Portland hasn't been shut down because of all these unsolved murders, including, in this case, an entire police station. That sort of thing makes the national news and brings in lots and lots of feds and President Obama.

I'm really surprised nobody has named the mysterious healing artifact yet. Come on, it was brought back from Jerusalem by the Crusaders (in this case the Holy Order of Grimms), hidden in the catacombs of a Church (i.e. holy ground), heals at a touch and is made of wood and these experts in ancient lore haven't made a guess yet. Someone should at least say the words "True Cross."

Posted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched "Grimm" since the first couple of episodes (when I decided I didn't want to get involved in another supernatural series), but even I can guess that the artifact is a piece of the True Cross.

I've been trying to get on a decent sleep schedule since I've been working from home, but it's tough. Too much good stuff is on in the middle of the night; Cozi shows "The Avengers" (Steed and Mrs. Peel, not Iron Man & Co.) on weekends, and last night I made it all the way through both episodes, finally getting to sleep around 3. Tomorrow night the last two "Person of Interest" episodes will be opposite the finale of "The Night Manager," but the latter is repeated at 11:30 p.m., so I'll be up till that's over (fortunately it has commercials, so I can catch big chunks of Colbert). Maybe once all the finales have cleared, I'll be able to get at least six hours of sleep again. But I've always been a night person, and I like reading till all hours and then sleeping late.
Syd
Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:08 am Reply with quote
I'm now going back to the theory that Jane Doe on Blindspot has the real name Lydia Lowe.

Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:27 pm Reply with quote
That was an exhausting two hours of "Person of Interest" tonight. Looks like Shaw finally had a real-life escape and is on course to meet Root. But is Fusco really out for good? And what did Elias mean about Finch having the darkness inside? Great to see Bear do a little of his specialty--maybe now Finch will learn the Dutch commands. Altogether, two great episodes, literally awesome. The people who dream up these tangled and twisted plots and characters and smart dialogue are genuine geniuses.
bartist
Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Am still traveling, so missed 3 hr of the show, it seems. The work PC won't run any CBS shows, as they require Adobe Flash of recent vintage...will read synopses, which is lame, but probably all I have time for....maybe buy a boxed set in a couple years when I'm missing the gang...)

Had the same surmise about the magical toothpick on Grimm. Did it also cause Juliette to reemerge from the psychokiller qu'est que c'est? Quite a handy object.

Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:00 am Reply with quote
Wow, the synopses of the 3 POI's I missed are better than most tv shows in their entirety. Sounds like Fusco has a legitimate beef about being kept in the dark; can't say I blame him, based on what I read. The Samaritan AI trying to learn everyone's DNA sounds pretty ominous. Relieve to hear of Shaw's escape, though this bit from the synopsis puzzled me a bit:

"In another attempt to persuade Shaw that Samaritan's mission is noble, she is led to meet Gabriel, Samaritan's analog interface, who gives an ominous, apocalyptic depiction of what Samaritan is capable of, as the narrative returns to Greer and Shaw in the biometric simulation room, revealing the events not to have been a simulation, but a manipulation of Shaw's thoughts and neurological activity. "

I'm sorry, what exactly is the difference between a simulation and a "manipulation of.... neurological activity?" That's confusing, at least as it's written.

Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:17 am Reply with quote
Gabriel (I didn't know that was his name) is that spooky little boy who talks like a very serious adult. He was in an episode some time ago but I had forgotten about him. He's cute but extremely sinister. And they're messing with everyone's heads.
bartist
Posted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:23 am Reply with quote
Ahh, thanks, Carro....he appears as an actual boy. I recall now what is meant by an "analog interface."

Tonight we start watching....season one, ep. one of D. Abbey.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:39 am Reply with quote
Quite the dramatic tete-a-tete last night between Root and Shaw. Important conversations all around - Reese and Lionel on the rooftop. Had a good laugh at Lionel's "What, are you going to propose to me?" Happy "postcard" shot at the end. Gulp.