Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

yambu
Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
[quote="billyweeds"]
bartist wrote:
....the other too "written," the death of the sister (rather than the more expected and logical mother).

the death of the sister is shocking, if not more expected. Now there is pressure for Eilise to stay home and care for her mother.
Syd
Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12889 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
In Green Room, a punk band is on tour and agrees to appear at an out-of-the way road house which turns out to cater to the Skinhead crowd, and is covered with Nazi graffiti, Confederate flags, and white supremacist garbage. Still, their gig goes well after a rough reception to their opening number "Nazi Punks Fuck Off," which probably is not the best choice to win their audience over. All seems well, they get their gas money and then some, and when they go to the green room, there is a dead woman on the floor with a knife in her head. One of the band calls 911 to report a stabbing, but her phone is confiscated and the band (and the girl's friend, Amber, who is understandably upset), confines itself to the room while the club's owner (an evil Patrick Stewart) figures out how to eliminate the witnesses.*
In addition to wanting to protect the murderer, he also wants to cover up his enormous heroin operation.

It takes a while for the band to realize that the cops are not going to come to help them and that they need to escape, and most of the movie is a series of violent encounters and improvisation, which is well done. The club is an impressive piece of grunge, there are vicious attack dogs, knives, guns, shotguns, fire extinguisher and microphone fu, though oddly not anyone crushed by a truck. Stewart probably got eighty percent of the budget; the only other name I recognized is Imogen Poots, who plays Amber. The cast isn't bad, just not well-known. I'd say if you're interested in a grungy low-budget movie with a lot of tension, give it a shot.

*The cops are dealt with by arranging a different stabbing with a volunteer who shows unusual loyalty to the club.

Last edited by Syd on Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:41 pm; edited 3 times in total

Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
[quote="yambu"]
billyweeds wrote:
bartist wrote:
....the other too "written," the death of the sister (rather than the more expected and logical mother).

the death of the sister is shocking, if not more expected. Now there is pressure for Eilise to stay home and care for her mother.

I get all of that. What I meant was that the death of the sister was all too clearly a "writer's" concept. It pushed the story forward in a very artificial way.
bartist
Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Yam's quote boxes are messed up, btw, and the quoted comment is Weeds' s not mine.

Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:46 pm Reply with quote
We are living for July, and the AbFab movie, then August, and Florence Foster Jenkins. That is all.

Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:56 am Reply with quote
inlareviewer wrote:
We are living for July, and the AbFab movie, then August, and Florence Foster Jenkins. That is all.

Can't wait! In the meantime, download The Lives of Hamilton Fish on iTunes, Amazon, or Youtube starting May 24.
bartist
Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote
The Jungle Book is gorgeous. Amazing blend of live boy and digital animals and terrain. But I would have gone just to hear Bill Murray and Christopher Walken singing. And there's a brief moment where I think they spoof the famous Brando reveal in Apocalypse Now, as the giant Walken-Orangutan is first seen in the shadows in the temple ruins. Good times.

Posted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
inlareviewer wrote:

Can't wait! In the meantime, download The Lives of Hamilton Fish on iTunes, Amazon, or Youtube starting May 24.

Absolutely, thanks for reminding. YT is our life of late. All best wishes for a fantastic outcome.

Posted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:18 am Reply with quote
Will be traveling mon-thurs, but look forward to utubing mr. Fish friday.

Hey, fish on friday. What comes of living with an RC.

Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Oct 2014 Posts: 278 Location: Winnipeg: It's a dry cold.
Yesterday I went to see Captain America: Civil War. When it started there was very good action and visuals. It was quite a war and it was great to watch. Things went along with after strange and hard to explain what was going on. With the fighters etc. who fought with each other on and off, There certainly was a bunch of mishmash in their fights. Hardly any real bad guys were around. It was fun to watch but the dam thing was silly. There were a lot of other situations and some were interesting.

Anyhow I liked it, but didn't love it in the least, except in the first 20 or 30 minutes of the movie. I expect that the ones on here may not like it at all.

Give it a shot. Laughing

I didn't mention a lot of the things that were interesting.

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:31 pm Reply with quote
It's my mother's birthday again (96!), which means I'm in SC and managed to go to the movies with her and my sister. I was hoping for "Love and Friendship," but it wasn't showing anywhere, so we wound up at "The Nice Guys"--terrible title, but excellent actors. And it turned out to be great fun (my favorite scene took place in a men's room). There was lots of shooting and profanity, but it didn't seem to bother Mom, who probably missed most of the dialogue anyway. We laughed a lot and enjoyed the action. And my admiration for both Crowe and Gosling was notched up by their comic skills. Who knew?
bartist
Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:09 am Reply with quote
Go sling is a natural for comedy. Crowe...."who knew" indeed.

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Oct 2014 Posts: 278 Location: Winnipeg: It's a dry cold.
carrobin wrote:
It's my mother's birthday again (96!), which means I'm in SC and managed to go to the movies with her and my sister. I was hoping for "Love and Friendship," but it wasn't showing anywhere, so we wound up at "The Nice Guys"--terrible title, but excellent actors. And it turned out to be great fun (my favorite scene took place in a men's room). There was lots of shooting and profanity, but it didn't seem to bother Mom, who probably missed most of the dialogue anyway. We laughed a lot and enjoyed the action. And my admiration for both Crowe and Gosling was notched up by their comic skills. Who knew?

I was planning to give my thoughts about The Nice Guys that I saw on Tuesday, but you beat me to it! What you wrote was almost exactly what I would have written except I liked the title of the movie.

When the two of them talked to each other at the end of the film was definitely another movie of it coming next year or two years later. I'd love to see if it was just as good.

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:42 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
Go sling is a natural for comedy. Crowe...."who knew" indeed.

Crowe was pretty straight, which just made him funnier in certain situations. Gosling, on the other hand, had some downright goofy moments; at one point he does an old Lou Costello bit that he made look both legit and hilarious. (Nothing to do with Who's on First, by the way.) I'm definitely hoping for a sequel.
Ghulam
Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:26 pm Reply with quote
For all lovers of Jane Austen, "Love & Friendship" is a delightful feast. Based on a little known early novella "Lady Susan" and with an inspired screenplay (and direction) by Whit Stillman, it has the most wildly funny dialogue and characters since "Tom Jones" (1963). Whit Stillman's movies in the 1990's such as "Metropolitan", "Barcelona" and "The Last Days of Disco" made many of us his devoted fans, so it is good to see him back in full glory.