Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

Syd
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
After watching some of Daredevil, rewatch "Curse of the Golden Flower" and more Daredevil, I've grown thoroughly sick of ninjas. There's a point at which facing horde after horde of faceless warriors becomes thoroughly boring.

EDIT: Oh, God, not another fifty ninjas.

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I tend to agree.

Also boring - how is the new series Game of Silence not a ripoff of Sleepers, and Sleepers managed to tell its story in 2 hours?

Blindspot, however, remains amusingly OTT and sexy. I enjoyed the preposterone driven art caper last monday and Jane unforgettable in her Gatsby duds.

Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Person of Interest is back tomorrow. Finch and the team are living in a Samaritan world now, trying to save Machine's battered source code, which they are hauling around in a briefcase.

I wish they could do the weekly format, but looks like CBS is going to run 2 eps/week.

Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:00 am Reply with quote
I've been watching the Person of Interest repeats on various free cable channels, which have been helpful in keeping me aware of the situations leading up to this final season. All the episodes are as interesting the second time around as they were the first--some more so, since I know what will happen in the future. I haven't bought a DVD set since "Buffy," but it might be tempting when "P of I" ends--there's something about those characters that makes me really miss them when they're gone.
bartist
Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Yep. Good opener - only Root and Harold could make a supercomputer out of 300 Playstations. Reese has his usual luck, finding a tank of liquid nitrogen handy to save the day. The 2006 scene, where Harold erases the memory of the protesting Machine, will stay with me....right up there with the "Daisy" scene in 2001, or the "tears in rain" scene in Blade Runner. What an outstanding series. Yeah, I will miss them when the series ends.

Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:18 am Reply with quote
I shouldn't get so emotionally involved with a TV show. I was getting all verklempt when Finch wiped out his young computer's memory, despite the fact that his reasoning sounded frighteningly realistic. It was great to watch Root managing to outwit and outgun her pursuers even without the Machine's instructions, and Reese did his magic trick of showing up just in time (as well as finding the liquid nitrogen just as the Machine is melting), and of course I worry about Finch regardless of the situation. The setup with Fusco was intriguing and a bit sinister. I was relieved to see Bear, waiting for them at the subway lair. But nobody mentioned Shaw. Preview clips have shown her, though, so I assume she'll be back soon.

It's rather irritating that with so little on TV that's worth watching these evenings, they've managed to put "P of I" opposite "Castle" on Mondays and "The Night Manager" on Tuesdays. I may get that AMC app, but tonight I managed to follow "NM" pretty well during commercials and with the repeat.
bartist
Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I shouldn't get so emotionally involved with a TV show.

If I don't get emotionally involved, I don't bother to watch a tv show. My two cents: we need to get some kind of emotional jolt (or nudge, if it's more contemplative) from a work of art or our imaginations just won't engage. And without that engagement, we just sort of absorb it and move on and forget it.

And that brings up "Blacklist," which I simply stopped caring about. Is Liz really dead? Have they gone into Game of Thrones mode, killing main characters with impunity? Who looks after the baby, if Liz is dead, and Tom is out running missions again? I just don't care. The show is ridiculous.

Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:51 pm Reply with quote
It's just kind of weird to get so emotionally involved with characters in a show that requires such suspension of disbelief. (Okay, the same can be said of "Buffy.") The concept of a constant omnipresent surveillance network is believable enough--but it's the way Reese throws big guys out of bar windows and doors (love it when he does that) and shows up just when needed, and of course there's Root, whose mental connection with the computer is seriously weird. And Finch's computer works so fast you'd think he'd need that liquid nitrogen to cool it down daily. But the writing and the actors make it so deeply interesting and involving that none of that prevents me from investing a lot of emotion in it--more than I invest in most of my real-life relationships, I'll admit.
yambu
Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:10 pm Reply with quote
DELETED
bartist
Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:15 am Reply with quote
It was kimd of a relief to see The Good Wife conclude. Great show, but it was time for things to resolve. Interesting end, with SPOILERS
Alicia sacrificing her friendship with Diane to undermine Kurt's testimony and help Peter. The whole trial, finding missing bullets, the legal machinations, the rampant conflicts of interest on the defense team and the ballistics people....all seemed far-fetched.

Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Great "Person of Interest" tonight, but why didn't they alert viewers that it was starting early? I was pretty pissed off when I switched to CBS after "Houdini and Doyle" and found our heroes trading faces. And it was confusing--at first I figured it was a comic promotional lead-in of some kind, but it turned out to be a rather whimsical effort to get the Machine past a facial recognition glitch. It was a dirty trick to play on us fans, though--do they really think we who love PofI are all tuned in to the "Odd Couple" sitcom at 9:30?

But soon I was enthralled by the story, of course. Such intelligent imagination that goes into this show. And there's another episode tomorrow night--which I'll tune in early for, this time.
knox
Posted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:33 am Reply with quote
I liked the Glitch episode last night, especially as it takes on the real moral conflict inherent in the team's missions....and the Machine has taken notice. Like a child who finally starts to notice that Mom and Dad aren't perfect, that maybe they can be as much threat as the big bad world out there. The face glitch that preceded the who's-a-threat glitch was the perfect lead in: people are not who they seem.

The Good Wife...I expected more chatter here. Maybe ennui had set in? I think the loss of Josh Charles and Archie Panjabi hurt the show a little, but not seriously.
carrobin
Posted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:56 am Reply with quote
Nice analysis, Knox--I agree that the Machine is seeming more like a child, now entering adolescence.

About "Houdini and Doyle"--the new series started last week on Fox and it's intriguing, but not up to my expectations. Both men were quite interesting characters in real life, and Doyle was indeed fascinated by spiritualism and otherworldly phenomena, but Houdini wasn't as much of a skeptic as the premise of the show makes him out to be. The concept turns out to be a twist on a fairly ordinary plot: a pair of contrary detectives solving crimes together, but here the crimes involve things like ghosts and, last night, reincarnation. There's also an emphasis on women's struggles to make their voices heard in Victorian England--which is fine, but the beautiful young female constable who accompanies them is a stretch that seems ridiculous. I do admire the general Victorian look they've accomplished, though, and the actors are good enough.
bartist
Posted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm admitting "beautiful young constable" piqued. But planned to watch anyway. Houdini was skeptical about commercial mediums, but did hve some belief in spiritualism, IIRC he promised to attempt to contact us after his departure from the earthly plane.

I want the constabular hottie to be Claire Foy (notable in "Going Postal") but I expect they foolishly went with someone else.

Will see the next ep.

Knox, I think you put your finger on it. The Machine is disillusioned and has a moment of adolescent questioning of parental hpocrisy. And it is hard to really put some of Root's prior actions in the moral context. Not every child can grab mom by the cochlear implants....though teens often do manage some kind of sonic assault.

Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Morley Safer

R.I.P.