Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

Syd
Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:30 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I loved it. It gets very weird in the last half hour, but it resolved the two major paradoxes of the series. Maybe.

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:32 am Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
And what a terrific neogothic-baroque-timeleaping fun ride it was. (A Tardis would not have been out of place.) I'll watch it again on the 10th.

Wow. I had seen one episode of this series and was "meh," but last night's mystery of the abominable bride hit on all cylinders for me - good period details, weirdness put under the lens of a rational intellect, humor (Watson's difficulties with sign language at the Diogenes club, e.g.), PhilDickian reality shifts, meta-jokes about the written Holmes v. the "actual" Holmes, and a truly clever plot. And, amazingly, given the amount of backstory I don't have, lurking iceberg-like under the narrative waters, it wasn't too hard to figure out who everyone was and identify some of Holmes's inner demons. I hope they do 19th century drug-dreams, memory palace visits, or whatever vehicle is handy, again.

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Just in case someone missed last night's delayed (but nevertheless live) "Saturday Night Live" opening sequence, with Tina back as Sarah...

www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/tina-fey-returns-snl-palin-mock-trump-endorsement-article-1.2507561

This is an article about the show, but the actual clip is probably out on YouTube or something by now. (My favorite line: Trump's "she's two Corinthians short of a Bible.")
bartist
Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:57 am Reply with quote
Watching the X-Files revival on FOX, Sunday and Monday, is a reminder that the glory of an original series often turns to faded glory if you try for a return years later. Meh.

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
"You, Me, and the Apocalypse"

I have a feeling this show could become a guilty pleasure for me. It has a certain originality and odd dramatic structure that you don't see on the small screen every day. Various people find themselves in a deep underground bunker under London as an extinction-event sized comet is about the strike the Earth. Then we flashback to the day that the people of Earth first learned about their imminent demise and we follow the major characters around as they sort out the peculiar messes of their lives and somehow get selected to go into the bunker. It's a good hook, and a lot of fun. Airs Thursdays, right before "Blacklist."

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Julianna Margulies, let it be understood, is a truly great actor. This has been obvious to me for a long, long time, but last night's episode of The Good Wife nailed it beyond any remaining shadow of a doubt. Her "big scene" with the remarkable Cush Jumbo was one of the greatest pieces of acting I've ever seen on television. Worthy of Shakespeare, equal to Greek tragedy. Margulies should consider tackling Medea. I'm not kidding. Alan Cumming also has one of his greatest-ever scenes. And Jeffrey Dean Morgan is a younger version of Sam Elliott. See this episode at all costs. You will not be sorry.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Oct 2014 Posts: 278 Location: Winnipeg: It's a dry cold.
I have had the same fantastic view of Margulies's greatness in yesterdays show. When I saw her by the washing machines, it was stunning!

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:35 am Reply with quote
One of the greatest tv scenes of my lifetime.
bartist
Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Yes. We were blown away. And so happy that she has forgiven Eli! Hadn't made the Sam Elliot/JD Morgan connect, but that's quite right...knew he reminded me of someone.

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:57 am Reply with quote
I probably wouldn't have watched "Madoff" if the title character hadn't been played by an old favorite, Richard Dreyfuss, but it turned out to be a fascinating, suspenseful, moving miniseries (four hours, plus a final hour of real-life follow-up). I haven't seen "The Big Short" yet but it probably covers some of the same territory, as Madoff says that the stock market itself is the biggest Ponzi scheme. Dreyfuss is terrific as the charming con man whose life is pretty much perfect at the beginning but who ends up in a North Carolina prison after losing everything and everyone. (Yet he's evidently doing fine, admired by his fellow criminals and recovered from the ailments that plagued him while he was under the stress of keeping the pyramid from crashing.) His wife Ruth is played by Blythe Danner, still a beauty, the picture of wounded innocence. The sons weren't in on the scheme either, according to this reading, though as we all know, one did end up committing suicide. There wasn't a lot of attention given to the "investors" who lost millions, but some were shown in the last hour, and billions have been returned to those who lost money--including $7 billion handed over by the widow of the man who got Madoff into the game to begin with. All very interesting stuff.
bartist
Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:55 am Reply with quote
Hope they repeat Madoff. Haven't seen much of RD since he was Bill Murray's psychiatrist, or that thespian troupe guy in Rosencrantz [etc], the film version.

This is not unexpected news:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/08/arts/television/good-wife-end-super-bowl-cbs.html

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Oct 2014 Posts: 278 Location: Winnipeg: It's a dry cold.
I watched the Super Bowl yesterday. I wanted the Denver team to win the Super Bowl because I liked them and there quarterback. I knew they were supposed to be the loser, but I thought they might win it. They more than won it, there defense slaughtered Carolina's offense. Manning did a good job as the QB. It was a good day for me in sports. Before the football game I watched the golf game and the guy I wanted to win, got it tied when he won the last two holes. Then he went will Fowler and it took four holes before he had won it H. Matsuyama! I do like Fowler, but I liked Matsuyama even better.

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Stephen Colbert said that the Denver defensive wall was so good that Trump wanted Mexico to pay for it.

I don't like football but I managed to catch the halftime show, which was pretty good. But "Downton Abbey" beats everything on Sunday nights. (Note that I never watched "The Good Wife." Maybe I'll try to do a binge watch after it ends.)
bartist
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm in Denver's orbit, so there's joy and strutting around this town. I saw one quarter, not really a football person, didn't know what to make of the "puppy-monkey-baby," but the phrase certainly sticks in the brain.

Not a diss of TGW, but I think it might be exhausting to binge-watch. JMO.

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:19 pm Reply with quote
There's a new channel available on our Time Warner cable, Cozi, that runs old TV shows like "The A-Team" and "Murder She Wrote" and "Miami Vice," and I'm getting to know it well now that I'm working from home so much. Trouble is, the good stuff is on very late--they were running "The Avengers" at 1 a.m. and then switched to "Quantum Leap," which I also enjoy, while during the day, if I'm not actually working, I find myself watching "Murder She Wrote" mostly to see who the guest stars are. Whatever happened to Maxwell Caulfield, I wonder?