Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

billyweeds
Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:42 pm Reply with quote
At long last, a mainstream editorial platform calls Trump a liar in no uncertain terms.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/24/opinion/mr-trumps-applause-lies.html?_r=0

I have said some "positive" things about Trump in the past, but no more. He is now unequivocally the scum of the earth.
carrobin
Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
The real problem with Trump is that he's a ratings magnet and everyone wants to hear what he says, whether they agree or not. So the media keeps broadcasting his blather, mostly without countering the falsehoods. Last night I saw an MSNBC anchor trying to get him to tell her exactly who and where was the crowd "cheering" as the World Trade Center fell, and he insisted that he'd seen it and heard it and it was in all the papers and you could see it on TV clips. When she replied that such news clips had been hunted by several media companies without success, he shrugged it off--it happened, I saw it, you can find it if you look. He has a non-answer for everything.
gromit
Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Trump's great, because he's making all of the other Repub candidates look small-time, and forcing them to say outrageous crap either just to get noticed or as a response to Trump. He's doing great damage to the GOP nominating process and even better if he becomes the nominee.
Keep on trumpin'

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:53 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
Trump's great, because he's making all of the other Repub candidates look small-time, and forcing them to say outrageous crap either just to get noticed or as a response to Trump. He's doing great damage to the GOP nominating process and even better if he becomes the nominee.
Keep on trumpin'

I agree completely, but he's really wearing out his welcome as he gets nastier and nastier.
inlareviewer
Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Waltzing in from yet another viewing of "All About Eve" to snag some popcorn and Raisinets, which, in vintage Homer Simpson fashion, we love to combine to cardiac-threatening effect, and a diet drink, no big whoop given that our knees went a long time ago:

That Tronald Dump could be the front-runner is in itself a horrifying comment on the Quickening, also the dumbing-down of America, and would vote for HRH HRC, Colonel Sanders, Governor O'Hunky and/or the bagel I had for breakfast before I'd consider him or any of his Greedy Oligarchal Panderey coevals for pResident. And will be renewing the passport in any event, because it's later than we think.

Waltzing back out, adding a chili dog, a second diet libation, extra napkins and some Goobers en route to "Sunset Boulevard." (ADORE revival cinema double-features)

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:50 am Reply with quote
I would vote for the corpse of Gloria Swanson with the corpse of Bette Davis as her running mate before I'd vote for Tronald. But, of course, the corpse of Judy Holliday would probably get the nomination anyway. And I'd vote for her too.

Not renewing the passport, because I have more faith than that. HRC has it in the bag. And you can take that to the bank.
Syd
Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:40 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
As long as it's Bette Davis and not Joan Crawford. We must have SOME standards.

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:31 am Reply with quote
RIP Setsuko Hara, best known for playing three different characters named Noriko in Late Spring, Early Summer and Tokyo Story. A wonderful actress. Died at age 95, but she retired in 1966 after 77 film credits.

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Sashaying in during the interval after Part 1 of "Little Dorrit" to refill the popcorn, consider a corn dog, and note:

billyweeds wrote:
I would vote for the corpse of Gloria Swanson with the corpse of Bette Davis as her running mate before I'd vote for Tronald. But, of course, the corpse of Judy Holliday would probably get the nomination anyway. And I'd vote for her too.

Or Anne Baxter or Eleanor Parker, for that matter.

Quote:
Not renewing the passport, because I have more faith than that. HRC has it in the bag. And you can take that to the bank.

Of course, was essentially cracking wise -- well, not totally, the passport DOES need renewing, has for a while now -- and I suspect that that is a correct prediction. Still, it's going to get crazier than not for a while yet.

Syd wrote:
As long as it's Bette Davis and not Joan Crawford. We must have SOME standards.

And then, there's THAT. Absolutely. Can just hear La Crawford in the Oval Office: "Let's tear down that BITCH of a bearing wall, and put a window where a window ought to be."

Sashaying out, popcorn and dog in tow, nabbing some Twizzlers, a couple of pastries and a cocoa on the way back to Edzardian Dickensia.

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:03 am Reply with quote
Forgot to mention that the longer Trump lasts and the more desperate the GOP establishment becomes to take him out, the more likely Trump will mount a 3rd party candidacy, which would siphon off the tea party votes and make an easy path for Hillary. Not likely to happen, but definitely a possibility.

Otherwise, I find myself wondering who Trump would select as a Veep candidate. I guess Rubio or Cruz would be most obvious, but a good part of their appeal is being Latino, which would be totally nullified by Trump's anti-immigrant stance and immigrant-bashing. I doubt Sarah Palin could be resurrected, but I could see Trump choosing a woman. I don't really have a handle on who Trump gets along with. Mainly those who praise Trump it seems.

In many ways Trump is exactly the candidate the Tea Party has been waiting for -- a loudmouth bully who has contempt for the media and those Washington jerks.

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:26 pm Reply with quote
If he wasn't so determined to scare off ethnic minorities, Nikki Haley would be a good candidate for a running mate.

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
If he wasn't so determined to scare off ethnic minorities, Nikki Haley would be a good candidate for a running mate.

That would probably assure him the South Carolina vote, at least.
bartist
Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:27 pm Reply with quote
It makes me uneasy when Republicans are attractive. As long as they look like deeply corrupt old bastards, like Baron Harkonen in "Dune," things seem normal.

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:00 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
It makes me uneasy when Republicans are attractive. As long as they look like deeply corrupt old bastards, like Baron Harkonen in "Dune," things seem normal.

Haley got caught up in the Confederate Flag nonsense and I thought she handled it very well. She may not make it as a national figure, but she seems pretty well suited for her state.

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:35 am Reply with quote
I knew I came to the right place. Smile

HELL NO FOR DONALD!

A subhuman species if ever I saw one.

Meanwhile, Happy Holidays to all.

PS: He ain't gonna happen.

Peder