Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

bartist
Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:31 am Reply with quote
"Limitless" was a pretty good movie. The CBS series which piloted last night, based on the movie (and guesting Bradley Cooper), seems more in the area of "ok." Looks like they are bending the plotline in the direction of a crime actioner where the drug-augmented savant becomes an FBI consultant. ZZZZZZ....

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:02 am Reply with quote
What, the CIA didn't get him onboard first? Reminds me of why I'm becoming annoyed with "Sherlock," having just been watching the repeats of the last season on PBS (which I hope means the next season is coming up). The episodes have become so outrageous and confusing that I had totally forgotten that Watson's new wife has a dark past (as has Mrs. Hudson). They're written by Stephen Moffat, who's familiar to me from "Doctor Who," where that kind of thing is pretty much expected, but "Sherlock" has jumped the shark in some ways (including the confusing thought processes expressed in fast cuts, which works for the Doctor but Sherlock's so pretentious about it). That doesn't mean it isn't still fascinating, however. Maybe I've become a Cumberbitch.
marantzo
Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:35 am Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Oct 2014 Posts: 278 Location: Winnipeg: It's a dry cold.
bartist wrote:
"Limitless" was a pretty good movie. The CBS series which piloted last night, based on the movie (and guesting Bradley Cooper), seems more in the area of "ok." Looks like they are bending the plotline in the direction of a crime actioner where the drug-augmented savant becomes an FBI consultant. ZZZZZZ....

I believe the same thing that you think about the TV Limitless show. Maybe it will pick up later. Confused

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:14 am Reply with quote
I hope so, Gary. The potential is certainly there. The only neurological science flaw I really mind is the guy saying that "all my neurons can now fire at once." If that happened, you would instantly perish from a shattering grand mal seizure. Coherent thought and retrievable memory is the result of particular synaptic pathways firing while others are suppressed or quiescent.

Carro: "Maybe I've become a Cumberbitch...." I know that's what BC's female fans call themselves but I have to wonder if there's another term - Benedictine? Cumberbatchiosa? Cute-Cumber?

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:16 am Reply with quote
Good suggestions, Bart, but "Cumberbitch" kind of says it all. (I'm still and forever a Batesbabe, though.)
bartist
Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:25 am Reply with quote
Watched "Code Black," and had to shower an hour to get the stink of mediocrity and dull scripting off me. Full disclosure: our new cat, Penumbra (Penny, for short), is super affectionate, a real "people cat," and had installed herself, purring at diesel engine volume, in my lap. There is research that shows a purring cat actually lowers blood pressure, in which case Penny is THE cure for severe hypertension. So I found myself "trapped" somewhat and a book out of reach. I kept thinking, "I should really shut this off and go do something else," but Penny had narcotized me into immobility.

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:01 pm Reply with quote
So media corporations are employing cats now. Crafty.
bartist
Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:04 am Reply with quote
LOL. I have always suspected that cats are agents of some kind of covert plan, but couldn't figure out what, or who their handlers were. Some cultures believe they are the spirits of dead ancestors, but I have trouble believing any of my ancestors can be THAT obsessed with the red dot cast by a laser pointer. Then again, that red dot is pretty freaking amazing! If you scrunched my mind down into something the size of a walnut, who knows....

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:58 am Reply with quote
Since Person of Interest is not starting until mid-season, my network watching is confined to The Good Wife and Colbert, whenever he guests an interesting politician (Clinton was great, last night, still got that affable mix of intelligence and charisma, and offered a good analysis of why Trump is doing so well). Alicia's adventures, slumming down in bond court, were amusing, though I couldn't fully grasp her motivation in putting herself through that (neither could the judge, apparently). But that's part of the appeal of Margulies' character. Loved the whole fallen Post-It notes court drama and the parade of experts on adhesives, air currents, Roombas, etc. Without being a comedy, TGW can still sometimes be one of the funniest shows on the air.

Tried Limitless one more time, but the main character is just insufferable. Like The Mentalist cubed, or even some larger exponent.

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Oct 2014 Posts: 278 Location: Winnipeg: It's a dry cold.
Started to watch Limitless last night but it didn't take long for me to quit it. It was last night, wasn't it? Laughing

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12889 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Okay, "Blindspot" starts off with a beautiful naked tattooed lady (Jamie Alexander in a role tailored for her) stepping out of a duffel bag, obviously confused, and the cop screams "turn around," "down on your knees," and "hands on your head!" Exactly how is she supposed to be a threat that a cop has to hold at gunpoint?

Edit: To my surprise, Ms. Alexander is the protagonist in the show, and is the main reason to watch the show. I don't see how they extend the premise beyond half a season.

Edit 2: Oh, each tattoo is a clue to a crime, and there are lots of tattoos. (We see a lot of Ms. Alexander.) Marianne-Jean Baptiste is on the show, too,

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:17 pm Reply with quote
So...it's like sexy amnesiac detective version of "The Illustrated Man."

Hmm, may have to check it out. For the plot. That's why I would watch. The plot. Character development. Intellectual puzzles. And plot.

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:36 pm Reply with quote
double post

Last edited by Syd on Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Blindspot has turned into a pretty interesting show, and tonight's episode, which involved a teenage hacker who developed an app which allowed criminals to break into government vehicles' computers*, was one of the best, including a mention of steganography, a device that can hide one clue inside another. This means we're going to get to go again over the tattoos we've already gone over and the show can potentially go on for quite a while as we get closer and closer looks at Jane Doe's body. (We've also seen one tattoo that was only visible under a particular frequency of ultraviolet light. Clearly the FBI should be on the lookout for the world's most extraordinary tattoo parlor.)

Jamie Alexander is easily the best thing in it, but I really like the FBI's resident hacker, and wouldn't mind if the teenage hacker shows up again. Jamie's partner's getting a bit more interesting, though I'm finding it hard to warm to him. Marianne-Jean Baptiste is gradually getting more to do as the boss who has secrets of her own to hide. I hope they drop the subplot of the agent with gambling problems; clearly they're setting up a big betrayal, but things were going along swimmingly without that gimmick.

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:32 pm Reply with quote
" Clearly the FBI should be on the lookout for the world's most extraordinary tattoo parlor..."

Hehe. Liked last night's ep, and eagerly await a palimpsest episode or whatever else can be contrived. I also saw one 2 weeks ago, where big hunk guy learns Jane was someone he knew growing up. Far-fetched but I guess somehow the dots will connect. The gambling debt thug bit was confusing, given that she's a Fed. I mean, does the boss really want to be send kneecappers her way? You're right, a wasted gimmick.