<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Syd
Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12889 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
double post.

Last edited by Syd on Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Came across my first big problem. I can't use my printer even through Windows 10 can detect it and is supposed to automatically update the drivers. It's an HP Officejet 6500 that I would really not like to replace. I'm also having problems with Word Perfect because it wants the printer. The "fixes" don't work because they say to click on options that aren't there.

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:28 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
Kasich is the one candidate I know virtually nothing about. Now you've got me curious enough to google him, thanks, BW.

Quote:
...He is anti-abortion, and signed a controversial bill placing restrictions on the procedure and women's access to it. He also strongly favored a labor law that would have imposed harsh strictures on collective bargaining rights in his state....

Hmmm, probably not for me, even if he does exhibit RINO tendencies in other areas.

Those GOP tics (anti-abortion, anti-union, etc.) are why there is almost no chance I'd vote for him anyway. But he seems like that rara avis, a fairly reasonable Republican.
gromit
Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:04 am Reply with quote
Wish we had Hillary instead of Obama.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kasich get strong Veep consideration.
Ohio is a key battleground state.
Same goes for Jeb! and Florida (if he's not the nominee).

The upcoming GOP debate might be interesting to watch ...

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote
That depends on whether the presidential nominee chooses on the basis of geography (in which case Kasich and Bush would be reasonable choices, as would Rubio), or demographics. Bill Clinton, Bush 43 and Obama all chose an experienced politician to make up for a perceived lack, rather than one from a big state. Kasich and Bush could fill that role as well, and be from an important state.

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:27 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:

Couldn't disagree more if my life literally depended on it. Obama = best US President since Lincoln. Hillary = dissembler-in-chief.

gromit wrote:

This is the understatement of the year. I haven't salivated this much in decades.
billyweeds
Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:43 am Reply with quote
Deleted.
carrobin
Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I must admit, a debate that includes Trump and Christie would be irresistible. Especially if they start yelling at each other and rolling up their sleeves.
gromit
Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:16 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:

Obama = best US President since Lincoln.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find one historian who agrees with that.

Otherwise, the Supreme Court is enough of a reason to vote DEM not REP, besides the million other reasons.

I'll give O credit for putting two women on the SCt. But Ginsberg is frail and a cancer survivor, and probably not going to be there too much longer.

Been meaning to direct folks to the Slate Weekly News Quiz prepared by Jeopardy champ Ken Jennings. It comes out every Friday and is fun, if you're a news junkie, or even just to catch up on some news you didn't hear about it.
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/the_slate_quiz.html

For instance, I was unaware that a New Zealander who doesn't speak French won the French Scrabble Tournament, after spending two months memorizing the French list of playable words.

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:31 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
billyweeds wrote:

Obama = best US President since Lincoln.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find one historian who agrees with that.

History will tell, and I predict will come down on my side. For one thing, Obama has made the term "lame duck" meaningless. He has accomplished more in just the last three months than most presidents do in four or eight years.
gromit
Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Not sure what you're referring to, but it comes after 6+ years of doing little and frequently getting outmaneuvered.

Health care is his big legacy, and he never even tried to make the case for single payer for all, which was/is clearly a better solution.

The stimulus was too small with a good portion given over to unstimulating tax cuts. And shrinking public spending by the states cancelled out a good deal of the fed stimulus.

That year and half or two year period where he got distracted by deficit worries was a huge waste of time (and retarded growth).

O's foreign policy really hasn't worked anywhere. Partly bad luck that the Arab Spring popped up and largely went sour. But Obama has botched Egyptian policy. All our traditional ME allies -- Israel, Egypt and Turkey -- are dissatisfied and largely working against US interests.

All these groups such as Boko Harum and AL Q in the Maghreb popped up and went largely unchallenged and took over swaths of territory. Well before ISIS did the same in the Syria/Iraq vacuum. Libya is a failed/civil war/militia "state".

Russia went rogue. Ukraine is in flames. Though in fairness Russia'd been doing this on a smaller scale in Moldova and Georgia for the past decade.

Sure, a lot of economic and foreign policy weakness was a legacy from the W. Bush disasters. But it's hard to find any Obama Admin foreign policy successes. Okay, killing Bin Laden was, as Joe Biden said about Obamcare, "a big fucking deal." The Iran Nuke deal seems promising. And the opening overtures to Cuba are/were long overdue (even if they don't go very far).

On the domestic front, two positive recent trends -- gay marriage and legalized marijuana largely came about with Obama on the sidelines, not taking a position.

I've found Obama too cautious, too unsure, rarely making the liberal case, too often outmaneuvered, a lot of sloppiness (Obamacare website the most glaring), and generally mediocre. Personally I like Obama, and it will be very interesting to see what he does in the next 20 - 30 years, post-presidency.

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I hear you, Gromit, but... I give Obama a lot of credit for managing to get some important things done in spite of the constant ideological opposition of the Republicans. Their refusal to give up on killing Obamacare is just the most obvious example--what is it now, about 40 times they've voted to eliminate it? He couldn't possibly have pushed through a single-payer option, in spite of the fact that the majority of citizens would prefer it. (The majority of citizens also want tougher gun laws--but the politicians are more committed to pleasing the NRA than to saving lives.) And there was furious opposition every time he tried to deal with the budget; the GOP was determined to prevent him from accomplishing anything that could lead to his reelection, even if that meant plunging the country into a major depression. There are so many reasons for voting against Republicans that it almost doesn't matter that there are some good reasons for voting for Democrats.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
gromit wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kasich get strong Veep consideration.
Ohio is a key battleground state.
Same goes for Jeb! and Florida (if he's not the nominee).

Last I saw Kasich trailed Clinton by about six points in Ohio, where he is a known quantity. this makes his value as Veep iffy. Not that they would pick him. Right now the Repos do not seem to be operating under the normal rules of politics anyway. They are likely to nominate Gohmert in their current mood.

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/08/02/us/politics/joe-biden-white-house-2016-presidential-campaign.html?_r=0&referrer=

Now. We. Are. Talking.
Syd
Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:16 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/08/02/us/politics/joe-biden-white-house-2016-presidential-campaign.html?_r=0&referrer=

Now. We. Are. Talking.

Because the Democrats need a clown car to match the Republicans?