Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Befade
Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I've read Gillian Flynn's other 2 books and The Girl on the Train. What I'm really repelled by is the self hatred expressed by the main female character.

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Tarsem Singh seems to have Shyamalan syndrome. Each new film is more vacuous and boring than the previous one. I've made it through The Cell, The Fall, and Immortals, but I refuse to see today's offering, Self/less, in which Sir Ben has his mind transferred into a new, more attractive body (Ryan Reynolds). If he wants rejuvenation, why not transfer his fine Oscar-winning brain into a better movie?

Sexy Beast II: Rise of the Rabbit Men

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
His Snow White movie was rather fun.

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
That one I missed. From the wiki, it does look fun. And the PL has a copy. Hm.

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Oct 2014 Posts: 278 Location: Winnipeg: It's a dry cold.
I went to see Jurassic World yesterday afternoon. I didn't expect it to be very good and I was right. I watched the whole thing. It was all over the place. Some of the visuals were interesting, but on the whole it was sort of a mess. The prehistoric animals were okay and bad prehistoric animals were eating and killing everybody they could including the good prehistoric animals.

All and all, I killed a couple of hours relaxed my seat watching the movie. eating my popcorn and drinking my soda. Laughing

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:41 am Reply with quote
Trainwreck is an amusing variation on the romantic comedy where the guy refuses to commit and the girl staightens him out. In this case the sex roles are reversed, with Amy Schumer playing the one having trouble committing, and Bill Hader playing the one who figures out that they just might be meant for each other. Schumer is playing a reporter for a magazine that specializes on cynical articles on sexual topics. She makes an insulting remark on another reporter's proposed article on a doctor's revolutionary technique in sports medicine, and gets herself assigned to do the article on the doctor responsible, though she knows little about sports, but certainly has a cynical attitude. And she quite naturally falls in love with the doctor, though her failure to commit leads her ready to give up way too easily every time there's a glitch.

Schumer wrote the screenplay, and in the early part of the film is really (and bravely) unlikeable, though she gets nicer as the film progresses. Hader's great; he may well get awards for this role. There are lots of cameos, including Tilda Swinton as a boss from hell, Matthew Broderick, Chris Evert (!), Marv Albert (!), and LeBron James (!), who is hilarious. You know you're in trouble when those four are doing an intervention on your love life. John Cena is funny in a role as a rejected lover (he has trouble making sex talk--a bit of a problem when you're actually having sex-- and watching art films.) Colin Quinn has a hilarious monologue at the beginning of the film explaining why he and Amy's mother are getting a divorce. He's more annoying than good later in the film, but he gets a nice epitaph, showing how a guy who in most ways was a piece of shit might still leave loving memories.

There is a film within the film, "Dogwatcher," starring Daniel Radcliffe and Marisa Tomei, that looks like a distillation of all awful independent films. I'm sure it won awards at Sundance. Radcliffe and Tomei must have had a ball doing this.

This is a film that rewards a little patience. It gets better as it goes along. Judd Apatow directs, and it falls within the category of raunchy comedies with heart, but the smartness of observation comes from Schumerr. You really want her and her doctor to get together. The climax is corny and very funny. (7 of 10. Schumer's better as a writer than an actress.)

Last edited by Syd on Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I like films within films (like Mant, Home for Purim, or Simple Jack, or the ninja counterfeiters at the end of Bowfinger, whose title escapes me*...) and will see Trainwreck for the sake of Dogwatcher.

* Fake Purse Ninjas

** and let's not forget Good Will Hunting 2: Hunting Season

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:20 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
I like films within films (like Mant, Home for Purim, or Simple Jack, or the ninja counterfeiters at the end of Bowfinger, whose title escapes me*...) and will see Trainwreck for the sake of Dogwatcher.

* Fake Purse Ninjas

** and let's not forget Good Will Hunting 2: Hunting Season

And, of course, Chubby Rain. I really want to see some of those films Kirk Douglas was producing in The Bad and the Beautiful.

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:35 am Reply with quote
Kabir Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijan' has all the faults of a Bollywood film, e.g. exaggeration, farcicality, unbelievability etc. and yet it is uplifting because the story of a staunch Bajrangi Hindu becoming attached to a six year old speechless Pakistani girl, who is accidentally separated from her parents, to the point of taking extreme risks to himself to return her to her parents, has the emotional force to mesmerize an audience.

The screenplay writers have used all the tricks in the book to exploit this odd relationship and have largely succeeded, especially in showing that there is a lot of goodwill in ordinary people on both sides of the border. The comedy angle is well executed and many jokes are truly funny.

Salman Khan is adequate, but the movie is really stolen by six-year old Harshaali Malhotra, a sweet girl with a winning smile. Nawazuddin Siddiqui is good in the role of a Pakistani television news-reporter.

In spite of all its flaws, 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' is an emotional roller-coaster because of its thematic strength and its anti-hate message.

carrobin
Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:47 am Reply with quote
I wonder if my friend Chitra would know how to find that film. Her father was a Bollywood producer--she used to watch dance rehearsals from her bedroom balcony. I'll have to ask if she or her tech-savvy son has heard of "Bajrangi Bhaijan"--from the description, it sounds well worth seeing.
Ghulam
Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Carrobin,

I saw it in a multiplex in Albany with a mostly Indian audience. Being blatantly Bollywood, it may not appeal to American audiences.
carrobin
Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Chitra said she's never heard of it. It does seem odd that Indian films like that are never shown in NYC--there was a Bollywood movie theater on West 57th Street for a year or so, and it seemed to be fairly popular with certain ethnic groups, but then it turned into a supermarket. Even our film class never had an Indian film, though we had some pretty exotic movies sometimes. "Slumdog Millionaire" was the only Indian film I've ever seen--Chitra thought it was pretty good, but her husband hated it.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
Should have at least dipped into fhe forgotten works of O. P. Chandrashekar....

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Oct 2014 Posts: 278 Location: Winnipeg: It's a dry cold.
whiskeypriest wrote:
Should have at least dipped into fhe forgotten works of O. P. Chandrashekar....

Definitely!

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:00 am Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
Chitra said she's never heard of it. It does seem odd that Indian films like that are never shown in NYC--there was a Bollywood movie theater on West 57th Street for a year or so, and it seemed to be fairly popular with certain ethnic groups, but then it turned into a supermarket. Even our film class never had an Indian film, though we had some pretty exotic movies sometimes. "Slumdog Millionaire" was the only Indian film I've ever seen--Chitra thought it was pretty good, but her husband hated it.

It is being shown all over the U.S. In NYC, it is being shown at:

AMC Empire 25
42nd Street Entertainment Center
234 W 42nd St.