Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

bartist
Posted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Ghulam wrote:
"Force Majeure", the Swedish film which is more Edward Albee than Ingmar Bergman, is a brutal but witty examination of gender roles, tearing down many conventional assumptions about marital relationships, and tries to balance recriminations with forgiveness and understanding. Very worthwhile.

2nd that. Excellent acting, moments both painful and spellbinding, and very skillful use of the Alpine backdrop in revealing truths about the characters. Sweden continues to blow away the film world with its new wave of directors.

]

Posted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:27 am Reply with quote
Force Majeure

Heard good things about that.
Been looking for the dvd to turn up.

Posted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:16 am Reply with quote
Force Majeure has been and probably still is available on Netflix. Excellent movie.
Syd
Posted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:33 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Tomorrowland: Somewhat of a mess storywise, but it features three fine performances in lead roles, great cinematography, and the best evocation of "gosh-wow" I've seen since Hugo. At the 1964 World's Fair, a young boy brings his invention to the Inventions Pavilion: a jetpack that will enable him to fly! Frank's rejected, and his invention allows him to be keelhauled instead of flying, but he does earn a token to Tomorrowland and eventual disillusionment and a life as George Clooney. But then, we meet Casey (Britt Robertson), who's the genius daughter of a genius inventor and an inventor of drones which she uses to infiltrate NASA. She gets jailed, but gets a token (from the same mysterious girl who rescued Frank fifty years earlier), which allows her to envision an alternate reality (unlike Frank, who experienced the alternate reality firsthand.) And it turns out that a world sinking into despair because of the addictive nature of dystopia may just need Casey's optimism to have any hope for the future.

The movie runs into trouble when it comes time to resolve its plotlines, but I love the epilogue. And Britt Robertson and Raffey Cassidy are wonderful. in a just world, this would launch them to megastardom. (7.5 of 10)

Posted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:06 am Reply with quote

San Andreas, opening Friday. That's Archie Panjabi, huddled under the desk with Giamatti. The NYT has a piece today on how movie audiences enjoy watching California get whomped by disasters. The theory goes back to Pauline Kael.

Posted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:12 am Reply with quote
Well, after all, how long have we been waiting for a giant earthquake along the San Andreas fault to send California crashing into the Pacific? It's about time somebody made a movie about it!
whiskeypriest
Posted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:18 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
carrobin wrote:
Well, after all, how long have we been waiting for a giant earthquake along the San Andreas fault to send California crashing into the Pacific? It's about time somebody made a movie about it!
Well the first Christopher Reeves Superman, but I think the reverse rotation trick fixed that.

Otisville?

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, I went to South Carolina last week for my mother's 95th birthday, and my sister and I took her to the movies. This eliminated Mad Max and San Andreas, of course, which I might have chosen from the thin listings (I don't think "Tomorrowland" was on offer), but we settled on "Hot Pursuit," because it was a comedy and Reese Witherspoon is a nice southern girl. It was your basic odd-couple-in-trouble-being-pursued-by-bad-guys flick, but the mere combination of tough little officer Witherspoon and tall sarcastic diva Vergara was pretty amusing, and it didn't get boring.
Ghulam
Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote

"Mad Max" gave me a headache. Such a noisy movie!

billyweeds
Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:28 am Reply with quote
Ghulam wrote:

"Mad Max" gave me a headache. Such a noisy movie!

Totally agree with you. Why this movie has become so beloved is beyond me. A two-hour car chase does not spell entertainment for me, no matter how well the technicals are accomplished. And yes, this is by far the loudest movie I have ever seen in my life. Really. Unbelievably loud.
Syd
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:58 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Tammy, the ramshackle Melissa McCarthy vehicle, is an occasionally funny, mostly incompetent attempt at farce-with-a-heart. McCarthy's shtick is wearing out its welcome even though she can still manage to get laughs with her often weird readings and physical slapstick. What makes Tammy almost worth seeing, however, and certainly worth catching on cable, is one poignant, brilliantly acted scene featuring Kathy Bates as a lesbian. It seems to be from a different movie starring Bates and her fictional partner Sandra Oh, and I'd much rather see that movie than Tammy.

McCarthy's pretty good in Spy so there's still hope.

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Raves on Spy may be justified. It provides about as many laughs as a good Pink Panther movie.
Syd
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Jurassic World's quite good, too. Certainly better than Lost World. I note with amusement that original Jurassic Park t-shirts are a collector's item in this film, and the park's administrator Claire (Bryce Dallas Howard) is none too amused to find one of her staff wearing one. She's pretty good in this, as is Mark Pratt as hunky love interest/velociraptor wrangler. There supposedly are sequels planned, which seems implausible given the torts resulting from the events in this one.

The main complaints I have about Spy are 1) Rose Byrne is miscast somehow, which I would have thought impossible and 2) it needs to be tightened up a bit. McCarthy's fine, as is Jason Statham. It could use a bit more Jude Law. The movie's enjoyable anyway. I like the opening and closing credits, the latter of which show Susan Cooper's (McCarthy's) future missions, one of which has her playing a Nepalese Sherpa* and another of which introduces us to the neck cushion/garotte.

*Her covers are a funny running joke throughout the movie.

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:57 am Reply with quote
Ghulam wrote:
Raves on Spy may be justified. It provides about as many laughs as a good Pink Panther movie.

I seem to be in a tiny minority here, but I was completely underwhelmed by Spy. After a somewhat promising beginning, it devolved into rote slapstick and uninvolving spy stuff that often took itself too seriously. I preferred Tammy.
gromit
Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:37 am Reply with quote
10 movies soon to be released based on books.
Most are books from the last 10 years, with the exception of two 19th C classics -- Madame Bovary and Far From the Madding Crowd.
As always, interesting to hear what changes were made -- such as the one shifted from Baltimore to Brooklyn.