Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

bartist
Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:04 am Reply with quote

Bonne idee!

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:36 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by bartist on Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:46 pm Reply with quote
So bart might have to cash in his chips ...

Probably best to contact Lorne or Chilly by email.

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:31 am Reply with quote
Did that. If our two admins have departed their posts, then we need to appoint someone to handle that stuff. Are you reading this, Weeds?

I will take down my previous post when a mod or admin responds, either to the post or the emails I sent.

The rating, by Dell, is an insult to 3rd Eye. I was going to say "black eye," but...

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I never got any replies, also.

Also, do you all know that when someone findsThird Eye on a google search, the retrieved page citation says "you have been banned from this forum...." Not a terribly friendly invitation to click.

You also can't change email when editing profile page.

Place needs a real admin/mod. And the bad rating from Dell is a pretty big barrier, for many behind their firewall.
lshap
Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Hi all,

Just an update and apology. Bart did contact me a few weeks ago, but I never saw the email. I'm guessing it got wedged in between the dozens of spam and Facebook updates that clutter my inbox everyday.

I was away for the last week and just now got his last volley of emails. His email has been updated, but now I have to figure out what to do about this SonicWall thing. I was never contacted by anyone there -- I checked my inbox and Junk folder and found nothing. Not sure how or why this happened, but I'll look into it. Frikkin bizarre.

As I wrote Bart, I'm still around and reachable. Just bad timing in this case. Hope everyone's healthy and happy.

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
knox wrote:
LORNE, BILLYWEED, CHILLY:

A followup to the above. You guys are continuing to be blocked by Dell's content filter, which is on a LOT of machines in North America, including one I use.

Could one of you contact these people...

http://cfssupport.sonicwall.com/Support/web/eng/newui/viewRating.jsp

...and use your authority (as admin. or moderator) to somehow make someone aware that 3rd Eye is not a gaming website. I don't see how this mis-rating can be good for the longterm health of your website.

Thanks, Rob D.

I emailed them via the above-mentioned portal. It takes three to five business days for a response so I'll let you know. If they did try to contact someone previously, it wasn't me.

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, Lorne. The whole thing is indeed bizarre. Hope you get more than some unresponsive form email. The power that these people have, who rate websites they know nothing about, is kind of scary.

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote
...without even the courtesy of a note saying "Nice little website you've got there, be too bad if something happened to it..."
knox
Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:11 am Reply with quote
Ha - that would be a step up for them, I think. THANK YOU, Webmaster Lorne.
knox
Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Bart, I can endorse your comments over in Current Film today. I think the difficulty of one person left in a genre niche is a big part of the forum doldrums. The others read your comment on, say, "Oswalt Goes to Marrakech," a 1939 thriller, starring Lassie and Leo G. Carroll as a talking spy dog and his handler, and others may read it, maybe think, "huh, well that's kind of interesting, but I'll probably not get around to it...." It's not like everyone says, "OK, this month we're all going to watch X and then discuss," so it not like a book club where you have that structure and a deadline.

If we specialized the forum, made it the Third Eye TCM forum, where people chatted about whatever TCM ran that night, then you'd have focus and structure, but less broad appeal.

What I don't get is these new members who names appear at the bottom and presumably they went to some trouble to join us (I know I did!), were approved by the admin, and then never post an effing word.
knox
Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
That means YOU, Jonnie Burnell! Your profile suggests you are a French sailor. Tell us about yourself, monsieur. What kinds of films do you like? What have you seen recently that rocked your world? Are there French films we should be seeing that aren't getting much exposure here in North America? Parlez avec nous.
carrobin
Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I want to see "Oswalt Goes to Marrakesh." Sounds a lot better than what TCM has been offering while I've been home getting my new knee to work. The Saturday morning routine has switched from noirs and Carry Ons to Peter Sellers flicks, and it's amazing how many bad movies he was in. Saturday's was "I Love You Alice B. Toklas," which was downright embarrassing. Talking spy dogs sound much more interesting.
bartist
Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Good points, Knox. I, too, want to see Oswalt stealing lamb chops in the Medina or however he contributes to making the world safer from the growing Axis threat. You had me at Leo G. Carroll who so suavely and deftly handled Ilya Kuryakin and Napoleon Solo.

As for M. Burnell, our nouveau membre, I fear that he came only to place a spam URL in his profile page. Mais, peut-etre pas. You never know. Tu ne sais jamais. Vive la schwanz!

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Oct 2014 Posts: 278 Location: Winnipeg: It's a dry cold.
carrobin wrote:
Hey, I want to see "Oswalt Goes to Marrakesh." Sounds a lot better than what TCM has been offering while I've been home getting my new knee to work. The Saturday morning routine has switched from noirs and Carry Ons to Peter Sellers flicks, and it's amazing how many bad movies he was in. Saturday's was "I Love You Alice B. Toklas," which was downright embarrassing. Talking spy dogs sound much more interesting.

carrobin, glad you mentioned the Toklas film. when I wrote that I liked all the movies I saw on TCM this week, I was wrong. That movie was ridiculous and I didn't like it. I just had it on and spent my time on the newspaper and the puzzles. I'd look at it every once in a while. Never had enjoyed it. I got a kick out of it's stupidity. I did see it when it was current and it was just as stupid then.