Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

knox
Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Amusing, well plotted Person of Interest this week - I liked the confusion for the team on which direction the jury was being turned, and the resulting improvisations. I had a feeling when they went back to the original crew, that they would need Lionel. The subplot with the cute shrink had some interesting undercurrents, even if neither Reese nor the doctor are going to cross the line. I think Reese needs to "drop by" and see Zoe again sometime. All work and no play...
knox
Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:28 pm Reply with quote
BTW, those who like sciency geeky stuff might look at "Better Off Ted," which is becoming a guilty pleasure for me. The director of R&D at some vast soulless conglomerate tries to keep various wacky research projects from spinning out of control, while coping with single parenthood, a borderline autistic boss, and an office romance. For some reason, I find it funnier than The Big Bang Theory, but that may be partly that it's still fresh for me (and will stay fairly fresh, since it ran only a couple seasons). It's a single camera comedy without a laugh track, like Arrested Development, and the boss is played by Portia deRossi, from AD.
Syd
Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
How to Get Away with Murder is rapidly turning into one of the more absurd series I've ever seen. And, I mean, I used to watch Private Practice.

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Three and a half hours is a long time for a comedy show to sustain its edge, but the fortieth anniversary special for "Saturday Night Live" was terrific--at least, the two and a half hours I saw (nothing distracts me from "Downton Abbey"). I got a bit teary during Bill Murray's listing of cast, crew, and writers who'd died over the years--Belushi and Radner and Hartman were the ones who got to me--but it ended with a good joke that cracked me up. And it was lovely to hear the two Pauls--McCartney and Simon--doing their songs again. Gee, I miss how good that show used to be...
bartist
Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Anyone seen The Fall, the BBC crime drama set in Belfast? Made me think of Broadchurch a bit (outside talent, big name star, brought in to help colorful locals solve murder(s), good character development and unhurried pacing). Nice to see Archie Panjabi with a regular gig, too - she plays a medical examiner.

Knox - BOT is fun, but I feel like it's pretty standard, just checking off all the boxes for single-camera comedy. But I do enjoy it now and then, and their corporate commercials (often the opener) are pretty darned clever and really send up the inanity of corporate ads perfectly. I esp. liked the one with the new motion sensors that couldn't sense black people - it had some comic edge to it.

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:03 am Reply with quote
Well, it appears I got the right murderer on How to Get Away with Murder (although I was casting my eyes on Bonnie, too), but it's a stupid show. Is anybody in this series acting how a human being would act in any situation?

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:39 am Reply with quote
I also think Geena Davis survives on Grey's Anatomy but won't be able to perform surgery. (She may be blind.) Whether she survives or not doesn't matter that much, except that Amelia needs a triumph. Arizona's the new miracle worker (although she already was one). I'm still waiting for Davis's character to confess she had never performed the climactic surgery that Arizona performed.

It's interesting that this show pretty much excluded Meredith, Alex, Derek, and Christina and still was a pretty good show.

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Given a solid cast, and it being created by Vince Gilligan, I wonder if Battle Creek will be better than its generic plot sounds. Right behind The Good Wife tonight, so inertia might get me to check it out. Nothing helps a pilot like coattails scheduling.

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:09 am Reply with quote
They continue to feed a sense of dread about Kalinda's fate. She should wear a blue-black dress, which looks white-gold to some hit man so he's all "oh, wait, that's not her..." and she slips away in the confusion.

Grey's haven't seen in years, but if edging out the original cast works, then you've proven the formula. Didn't work for CSI, though, and now they've got Patti Arquette in a new format that's unwatchable....just awful. How can she be so amazing in Boyhood, and so wretched in this?
carrobin
Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:25 am Reply with quote
I'm always forgetting about "Archer," both when it's on (tonight) and which channel carries it (FX), but yesterday Christian Slater was on the Today show talking about his guest shot on it, so this time I caught it. I like spy shows and I love parody spy shows, and animated parody spy shows are irresistible, so I really should keep up with it. Slater played an arrogant CIA guy named Slater who needed Archer's crew to deal with a visiting prince, and never mind the rest of the plot because it wasn't much, but it was fairly amusing. The next episode also featured Slater and a nicely rendered "Bullitt" car chase, as the animation blended cartoon and realistic styles. Not all the humor works, but it spins out so much that there's enough that does. I really should watch that show more often.
carrobin
Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote
R.I.P. Sam Simon, one of the creators of "The Simpsons." I wouldn't have recognized the name, but his obit is inspiring.

http://tinyurl.com/ln4975h
Ghulam
Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:35 pm Reply with quote
On PBS's "Masterpiece" on April 5.

‘Wolf Hall,’ a Six-Part TV Series, Tackles Hilary Mantel’s Books

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/22/arts/television/wolf-hall-a-six-part-tv-series-tackles-hilary-mantels-books.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

carrobin
Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:38 pm Reply with quote
The stage version of "Wolf Hall" is coming to Broadway shortly (it may already be in previews--I don't keep up with those things like I used to). It was a huge hit in London, of course. But my highest priority now is "The Audience" while Dame Helen is the queen.

Just a minute--the TV series of "Wolf Hall" kicks off the same night that "Mad Men" returns? Argh. I'm going to have to watch something online.
bartist
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:17 am Reply with quote
Is there some trend now to remake Aussie tv here? 1st, The Slap, now Secrets and Lies. The latter I know nothing about, except that Kaydee Strickland (sigh) stars. I saw a couple eps of the Yankified The Slap, which seemed to be markedly inferior to the original. Brian Cox is Greek? Peter Saarsgaard is Greek? Weird casting, to say the least.

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Better Call Saul will begin streaming on nflix, April 7. Looking forward to it.