Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

billyweeds
Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Chilly--Have you gotten my check yet? Deposited it? Please let me know. I'm trying to balance my checkbook.
chillywilly
Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:18 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Chilly--Have you gotten my check yet? Deposited it? Please let me know. I'm trying to balance my checkbook.

Yep. Got the check in the mail on Thursday. Taking it to the bank today.

Much thanks, Billy.

billyweeds
Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:35 am Reply with quote
Any movie buff should watch this hilarious comedy video, where a couple break up with each other at a restaurant where they and their waitress converse only in movie titles. Merits watching more than once. Oh, all three actors are friends of mine.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hInTz88xM8
marantzo
Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Oct 2014 Posts: 278 Location: Winnipeg: It's a dry cold.
Very good Billy.

Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha!

A friend once gave me this wretched movie, "Threesome," the dvd, as a joke gift. Later I emailed him an ironic thank you note whose subject line was "thanks for threesome." He, forgetting his dreadful gift, admitted he was quite baffled, at first, seeing that subject.

A couple years later I discovered the soundtrack had been released on CD, and quickly found its way into dollar bins at used cd shops, so I had my revenge. It's a horrible cd.

Later there was some discussion over movie titles that might be amusingly paired with "thanks for..."

Gerunds are good.

Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for eating Raoul.

In the news, I see Ray Bradbury's house was torn down...sorry to see this kind of trend....

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/08/us/classic-or-ramshackle-old-homes-in-los-angeles-are-being-bulldozed-into-history.html?hpw&rref=us&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well&_r=0

This URL wrapped around in the text window, so I hope it wraps around when I post. Otherwise, I should have gone tinyurl.
carrobin
Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:04 pm Reply with quote
There were a lot of comments on that story, one from a guy who lives on the street where the Bradbury house was. He said it was near the house that's used for "Modern Family" and a number of actors live in the neighborhood. Nobody seems happy about it.
bartist
Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Developers, seeing the potential for high profits in this housing-starved region, have been bulldozing vintage homes in middle-class enclaves — Arts and Crafts cottages, Spanish Mission-style bungalows — to replace them with lot-filling, towering modern homes that typically sell for over $2 million.

This approach is part of what I see as a real negative, esp. in the West, where a cult of the new and shiny seems dominant. And of course there is the problem of affordable housing, which $2M manses with media rooms and weight rooms don't help with. LA city council needs to grow a spine. I am busy these days restoring a 1903 house, so find this whole business sad. Not very Green, either, landfilling all the good timber you find in those older houses.

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Here in NYC, there's growing unease about the proliferation of extremely high-end new condominiums and the decreasing supply of housing for the working middle class (not to mention those who are still scraping the bottom). In spite of our new mayor, who was elected mostly on his promises of more "affordable" housing (there's some skepticism about what's considered affordable), the real estate corporations see little or no reason to build anything that won't bring in thousands of dollars per square foot. What's more, many of the purchasers of these multimillion-dollar apartments are foreigners who use them as pieds-a-terre or just investments, which means they're not spending money in the stores or participating in the neighborhood. When I first came to New York in 1967, the rents were high and going higher, and by 1980 I was wondering how new people managed to find a place to live. I worry for the teachers, secretaries, shop clerks, cab drivers, journalists, and other NYC citizens who are being priced out of the city.

P.S. Just yesterday I read an article that said studio apartments here are at a premium because builders can't make enough money on them to include them in their new constructions--the wealthy want big apartments. Even though that means my little condo is highly desirable and may actually be worth more than what I paid for it, it's a worrisome thing for newcomers to the city who can't afford bedrooms (I never could).
gromit
Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:38 am Reply with quote

Knox your link wrapped around as intended.
But in the infinite future, you can just delete anything after the html.
The "?" signifies that the rest that follows is just extra info and not an essential part of the address.
So your link could be shortened to:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/08/us/classic-or-ramshackle-old-homes-in-los-angeles-are-being-bulldozed-into-history.html
and still work fine.

Well, except in China where the NYT is once again banned, because 2 years ago they ran a series of stories on the wealth of top PRC officials and their families. Deng XiaoPing said "to get rich is glorious" but didn't contemplate reporting on such glory. Of course the powers that be don't want folks too aware of the vast levels of corruption and crony capitalism and nepotism which is the system here.

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:56 am Reply with quote
I prefer going to tinyurl.com.
bartist
Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:57 am Reply with quote
What is a yurl and why should it be made of tin, is what I want to know.

Saw 30 minutes of Stonehearst Asylum and felt the movie had abducted me in a Pattyhearst kind of way, so I bailed. So awful I only mention it in the lobby, as a personal anecdote of suffering. Utterly ridiculous.

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:26 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:

Saw 30 minutes of Stonehearst Asylum and felt the movie had abducted me in a Pattyhearst kind of way, so I bailed. So awful I only mention it in the lobby, as a personal anecdote of suffering. Utterly ridiculous.

A terrible movie indeed.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Oct 2014 Posts: 278 Location: Winnipeg: It's a dry cold.
I'm driving down south tomorrow. To Atlanta and then some other places. I will be mailing money to Marty when I'm there.

Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:53 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
bartist wrote:

I think it is a typo. It is supposed to be "tin yurt".