Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Befade
Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Did you know that in Turkey it's a crime for a Turk to insult Turkishness or the gov't? I'm reading Orhan Pamuk's memoirs of Istanbul and reading up on his life, he was charged with such a violation for simply saying that a million Armenians and tens of thousands of Kurds were killed in Turkey.

Gromit........have you seen Ararat? It's Atom Egoyan's film about that very subject.......the Armenian genicide.

I just bought Orhan Pamuk's The Innocence of Objects........The Museum of Innocence, Istanbul. Have you seen it? Read the novel? I have a copy of Snow. What's a good first read?

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
Joe Vitus wrote:
"Those dumb fans who think Into the Woods is sooo deep and soooo dark, and the characters need all that heavvvy psychological motivation because they read the text of this play as if it were Camus or Cocteau." That's taking about as big a shit in the punch bowl as one can do.

Is it just me or did I miss the post where billy said this?

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
whiskeypriest wrote:
Joe Vitus wrote:
"Those dumb fans who think Into the Woods is sooo deep and soooo dark, and the characters need all that heavvvy psychological motivation because they read the text of this play as if it were Camus or Cocteau." That's taking about as big a shit in the punch bowl as one can do.

That's Joe's over-the-top paraphrase of what I said.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
billyweeds wrote:
whiskeypriest wrote:
Joe Vitus wrote:

That's Joe's over-the-top paraphrase of what I said.
The phrase I would use is "hyper-sensitive distortion".

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:50 am Reply with quote
It's sometimes rather scary to see a movie you adore the second time. I'm always afraid I'll find out I was swept away in emotions the first time and the movie isn't all that. Well, no worries with Boyhood. The first time I saw it I put it immediately and without question on my all-time top ten movies list. But I've done that before, with movies as diverse as Schindler's List and Tom Jones and Mulholland Dr. And on subsequent viewings I had to revise my rating southward. This is not going to happen with Boyhood. I saw it again yesterday, and lo and behold, it was even better the second time--even with sound reproduction that was a little tinny.

All four lead actors are beyond inspired. Patricia Arquette and Ethan Hawke reach career peaks they may never attain again, but who cares? Their individual and collective journeys are awe-inspiiring simply because they are so uneventful yet cataclysmic. They are more identifiable than almost any characters I can recall. And Ellar Coltrane and Lorelei Linklater as the son and daughter are amazing. The question I would have asked Richard Linklater had the Q&A been opened to the floor was "Were you ever afraid that the young children you hired to play the kids would grow up to be thespian black holes?" Well, no problem with Coltrane and Lorelei Linklater. They became young adult wonders.

Lord, I love this movie! If it doesn't win the Oscar, that will be the travesty of all time.
gromit
Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:37 am Reply with quote
Befade wrote:

Gromit........have you seen Ararat? It's Atom Egoyan's film about that very subject.......the Armenian genicide.

I just bought Orhan Pamuk's The Innocence of Objects........The Museum of Innocence, Istanbul. Have you seen it? Read the novel? I have a copy of Snow. What's a good first read?

I'm pretty limited in terms of what I have easy access to here.
After going to Turkey a few years back, my mother bought Pamuk's Istanbul memoir for me. A friend was supposed to bring it to me last year, but he was overladen on his return to Shanghai, so it sat at his house a year until he made a recent trip to the US with his wife and baby.

He also picked up My Name Is Red so I'll get that once I finish the Istanbul memoirs. Red is historical fiction -- the Year 1591, Sultan's palace, etc.

I have no idea where would be best to start, but since his novels seem to be rather different, I'd imagine just jump in with whatever sounds interesting to you. Snow concerns a small town and modern squabbles over identity. Museum of Innocence sounds like a romance and family drama, and Pamuk actually opened a small Museum of Innocence in Istanbul, in coordination with the book. (I don't know much about it, but in Zagreb Croatia there was a Museum of Broken Relationships -- where people sent objects which helped signify a romantic split and a brief written explanation of what went down/the objects significance. It was interesting and bittersweet). I'm not sure exactly what the Museum of Innocence is -- objects chronicling one relationship, or something similar.

The wiki writeup on Pamuk states that his early novels are naturalistic chronicling families and lives and such. And that he became increasingly post-modern and experimental in his later novels. So maybe that offers some guidance.

Anyway I like the Istanbul memoirs as it gives a context for post-war Turkey/Istanbul. And you get a feel of his writing and his family and primary concerns. May be a good background for his early naturalistic novels set in Istanbul, but not really essential reading, unless you are interested in his life or (semi-recent) Istanbul history.

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Gromit. The book I just got has pictures from his Museum of Innocence in Istanbul. I've scanned it and would love to go there. From what I've read so far some of the items in the museum relate to the people in his novel so I'm thinking I should read the novel first......then understand the exhibits in the museum better. Can't you order things from Amazon there? That's where I got it. But I read about the actual museum in the NYT magazine or another magazine. It's got the look of a very organized antique store and some interesting still lives featuring various objects.

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:43 am Reply with quote
I'll see how I like My Name Is Red and then decide if I want to get more Pamuk. Books have gotten fairly expensive, there is no longer surface mail from the US which combined with book rate was a cheap shipping option, and I also have this foreboding sense these days that I have way too many dvd's, books, clothes, cats (just kidding about the latter, sort of). So I'm trying to avoid more clutter and books are heavy, space-eating, tree-killing monsters ...

Also, buying books via the internet seems rather soulless.
And I already have stacks of unread books here reproaching me.
Plus I'm only slowly adapting to the reality that I need reading glasses for books with smallish print.

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:49 pm Reply with quote
You may be limited but it's good you're not on an island..........all the books and movies to watch and read and...........eyes that can no longer see them. I needed reading glasses at 40 and after cataract surgery, I still do.

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I saw Interstellar on New Year's Eve. Long is the first thing that comes into my head to describe this film. I've seen long movies before and liked them.

Overall, I didn't mind this movie. It had a serious Inception feel and flow to it. I have to admit that Gravity was something I was ready to compare it to. Not even a slight comparison, unless "in space" is the comparison you are going to label it with. The acting was decent, but I felt even the whole story and theme behind time and space travel was overdone.

Performance wise, Matthew McConaughey was watchable. So was Anne Hathaway. And then you have a cameo that I wasn't expecting (I read no reviews of this movie before seeing it) that added a nice twist to the story.

marantzo
Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Oct 2014 Posts: 278 Location: Winnipeg: It's a dry cold.
Quote:
... but I felt even the whole story and theme behind time and space travel was overdone.

Overdone? How about "Wildly Overdone!" As I wrote about it, I mentioned that it became a mishmash.

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Taken 3 - ??

Given the trails of destruction in the first two, you would think by now there would be some international task force dedicated to preventing anyone screwing with Liam Neeson.

I find it somehow a propos that the 2nd and 3rd installments are both directed by a man named "Megaton."

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
Quote:
... but I felt even the whole story and theme behind time and space travel was overdone.

Overdone? How about "Wildly Overdone!" As I wrote about it, I mentioned that it became a mishmash.

One of those films (and one of those directors) about whom I cannot fathom anyone saying anything positive. Well, Memento, maybe, though I wasn't fond of it myself.

Inception and Interstellar are two of my least favorite films of the past decade. Another is Inherent Vice. There must be something about movies beginning with "In." Nope, that doesn't work. I adore In a Lonely Place.
marantzo
Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Oct 2014 Posts: 278 Location: Winnipeg: It's a dry cold.
I really liked Memento. I saw it at least three times. After that Nolan didn't make movies that were very good and very often ruined by his way of making his movies that had a bunch of useless scenes that stretched the films way too long and an editor should have cut it way down and it would have been, maybe, a good or very good film.

Billy In A Lonely Place is also one of my favorites.

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:24 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:

Billy In A Lonely Place is also one of my favorites.

One of my favorite things about it is the title, which on the surface alludes to the site of the murder but more importantly describes the Bogart character's soul.