Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

gromit
Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, he always railed about too many users in the database. Maybe he took direct action and deleted himself ...

Really it sounds like some problem, and an admin needs to handle it. I think that means Lorne or Chilly.

Last edited by gromit on Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:06 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Hey guys - Here's the story with Gary. Over a month ago he emailed me that he couldn't log onto the site. We did the usual diagnostic back-and-forth, but even with his password, followed by issuing a new password supplied by me, he kept being blocked. The problem was something on his computer, but beyond offering a few suggestions I didn't have a clue what the problem was.

Finally, after trying everything, we were forced to delete his account. I re-entered all his info into a brand new account and created a new "Marantzo", which is listed late in the memberlist. I made sure it worked (it did) and sent him the new user/password info.

I notice there are still no posts so my concern is that, for whatever reason, he still couldn't get in. His computer probably has a cookies/cache/security issue, but who the hell knows. I emailed him earlier to see what's happening and will report back when he responds.

Really sorry about this. I know he is.

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:01 am Reply with quote
I emailed him this morning before I saw this post. One way or another we should be hearing something soon.
bartist
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:08 am Reply with quote
Thanks, Lorne. Some servers get really sensitive to an IP number they've somehow tagged as problematic....like a computer allergy. He could use a VPN, see if that fixes it. I dont know how much trouble that would be for him. Good luck.

I've noticed vpn services are quite cheap now-companies like StrongVPN have low-end packages for around 5 dollars, and they give you a U.S. IP address, which can be quite handy if you are in Winnipeg. Content providers like Hulu, last I checked, will block U.S. series to a Canadian IP, so if you can "tunnel" with a US based vpn it's nice.

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:06 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I've got a cable modem. If I turn it off for a few minutes, then it puts me on a new IP address.

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Lucky you. Some cable or DSL ISPs have longer IP lease times and you have to shut off for several days. You can call the company, ask when the next lease cycles, then unhook an hour before, then hook up an hour after - usually your old IP will have been shunted to someone else and you get a fresh one.

There are also free proxy servers - just google free proxy server. They can slow down your machine quite a bit, though. You have to make sure they are not "transparent" proxies, as they provide no real protection or anonymity. And the ones that cloak their own proxy nature (I forget the term) are probably going to cost real money.

How do I know about this stuff? I am a mod, with admin powers, at a website that attracts lots of pseudoscience and conspiracy trolls.

And, if all else fails, one can take one's laptop or tablet to a different coffeeshop or other hotspot. The ultimate lo-tech method of getting fresh IP. Maybe I should hope all the trolls aren't reading thisbut, alas, they already know these tricks.

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Oct 2014 Posts: 278 Location: Winnipeg: It's a dry cold.
This is Lshap, logging in as Gary.

Gary replied to my email that he tried to log in with the new/old username but couldn't, and eventually gave up. Since this new user obviously works, I'll email him and hope he's willing to try again.

If not, well, hopefully I'll be a nicer Marantzo than he ever was.

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Hahaa!

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Oct 2014 Posts: 278 Location: Winnipeg: It's a dry cold.
Bingo, I'm on. I guess have to write about some of the movies I've seen.

Just saw The Birdman. Very good and unusual. Keaton is very good and the rest of the cast are almost as good.

Nice to be back on here!

I'm moving this to Current Films.

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:34 pm Reply with quote
How can we be sure you're really Gary?

Hey, I've seen Puppet Masters...ya can't be too careful!

Welcome back, man!

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:05 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
Yeah! If you really ARE gary why are you reviewing a movie you HAVE seen?

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Yes, long time no login for me here. Let's play catch up, related to this place here - Third Eye Film Society Forums

I'm not sure what my last post was (I will have to go find out after I post this one). I apologize for my absence here in so many months (which includes a year or more). I missed the 10 year anniversary of these forums in May of this year. I hope if there was a party, many glasses of booze were consumed to help celebrate.

On the subject of fees, 2013 was gracious enough to me to help fund both the domain name registration and the web hosting for all of 2014 (since it's all a pre-paid method of billing).

Today, I paid the $120 for the web hosting fees that will take us to December 17, 2015. Unfortunately, 2014 wasn't a kind year to me on many levels, mostly dealing with some personal issues of various kinds of ADHD, motivation and distractions. On the plus side, I learned that every trip I took, I was able to be less distracted.

So with that, I will need members to pay for the hosting fees this year. If there's 12 of you that want to send me $10, that should cover it. If only 10 of you want to send money, $12 does the math just as well.

For PayPal: send to marty@chillywilly.org

For snail mail and paper money:

Marty Mankins
5433 S 1300 W
Salt Lake City, UT 84123

In years past, I've very much appreciated the payments. Feel free to contact me at the email address or via private PM here on the forums if you have any questions.

Hope all are good. I see some of you on Facebook, so I can at least catch up there. I would like to return to posting here on a more regular basis and it's my hope that will happen sooner than later.

Happy Holidays.

bartist
Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Marty, good to see you. Am writing a check when I get home tonight.

The 10th anniversay party went off pretty well, except when Billyweeds got into the mushrooms and tried to breastfeed my sister's new baby.

Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Chills,
I just sent my 12 bucks via Pay Pal.
- Yam

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I'll send my check next week, Marty--I'm tied up in the whole trying-to-get-home-for-Christmas thing, and barely got the last cards mailed.