Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Syd
Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
bartist wrote:
Man made good film - even some that crits called duds, like Wolf, I found quite watchable. Loved Silkwood. Obit is fascinating...was not aware Albert Einstein was his cousin, or the anarchist, Landauer.

He made a bunch of good films (and Regarding Henry, proving that he was fallible.) Working Girl was my favorite, and Postcards from the Edge.

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:28 am Reply with quote
I'd forgotten he directed "Wolf." The Times shrugged it off but I loved it--there was a lot of truth regarding book publishing. (And that literal pissing contest between Nicholson and James Spader still makes me laugh.)

I remember Nichols & May, and now I want to find that Grammy-winning recording.

Last edited by carrobin on Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
Working Girl was my favorite, and Postcards from the Edge.

Wow. I thought I was the only person who had that opinion. IMO The Graduate is pretty far down the list of his great movies.

The only really really really bad one is Regarding Henry. It's really bad. Other not-so-hot ones are The Day of the Dolphin, Catch-22, and...sorry...Carnal Knowledge.

Primary Colors is very underrated IMO. Travolta is actually very good in this, probably his last good performance.

And of course my favorites Working Girl and Postcards from the Edge are also underrated. All of Nichols's good movies are underrated with the exception of The Graduate, which is very overrated, and Silkwood and Virginia Woolf, which are rightly admired.
gromit
Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:56 am Reply with quote
Syd, you might find this interesting:
http://theweek.com/article/index/271394/6-tiny-scientific-mistakes-that-created-huge-disasters

I knew of the defective lens on the Hubble Telescope, the O-ring which failed -- both of which were very high profile failures -- and the one where one team used metric system while another used US measurements.
Wasn't aware of the accelerometer being installed backwards.
Or the Euro-glitch due to a conversion between 64 and 16 bit software that caused an explosion. Gotta upgrade ...

Really there's just so many things that can go wrong, it's hard to check everything.

Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:29 am Reply with quote
Just to be clearer about my feelings about The Graduate: I think if the superb level Nichols established in the first half (the half dealing with Anne Bancroft and mightily informed by the Nichols-and-May sense of humor) had been sustained throughout, the film would have achieved the greatness so many ascribe to it. But once the story shifted to Katharine Ross, it almost totally lost me, turning into the most cliched of romantic soap operas.
bartist
Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:39 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:

Really there's just so many things that can go wrong, it's hard to check everything.

Rocket travel, as someone once said, is basically sitting atop a controlled explosion. I remember the press conference where Richard Feynman was dunking a little rubber ring in ice water to show the problem with Challenger's O-ring. A cold morning in Florida didn't just kill orange trees.

Antigrav drives would be safer, but the physics may not exist. Is Richard Branson looking into this?

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Play it, Sam:

Casablanca Piano Sold At Auction At Bonhams

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html
gromit
Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:04 am Reply with quote
I've been to Rick's Cafe in Casablanca.
2nd floor, they play the film on a continuous loop.
I happened to venture up to look around just at the not exactly Play it Again Sam scene and watched the end.
Unfortunately things hadn't changed and somebody slipped something in my drink and just around midnight I started to get woozy.
Saw no more of Casablanca.
Spent the whole next day sick in bed. I tell you I was sitting on top of many a controlled explosion the next day.
(okay so it was really food poisoning from dinner the night before, but it did start with my head swimming just around midnight at Rick's).
Of course there was no Rick's Cafe and this is just an replica/imitation -- but it's a nice place and good tourist draw.

Last edited by gromit on Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:41 am Reply with quote
Similar to Rick's in Casablanca, one of the most pleasurable film experiences I've ever had was watching Sun Valley Serenade in Sun Valley in 1985 or thereabouts. It was kinda meta back when "meta" didn't mean "meta" yet. The movie is no great shakes, but it's unutterably cute, and the setting made it memorable.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:36 pm Reply with quote
So this is weird. For a long time I was logged out (though I didn't log myself out) and my password wouldn't work to log me back in. Now I'm logged in again (I didn't log myself in) and I guess that means the password is working.

Well, it's the end of the semester, I'm running on fumes and anything is possible.

-Topher
daffy
Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:44 am Reply with quote
R.I.P., Pugsley.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html
knox
Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Page started with Mike Nichols death and ended with Pugsley's. And Gromit's food poisoning in Casablanca in the middle. And somewhere in there, the troubles with rocketry. And Joe running on fumes. It's all connected!
gromit
Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:29 am Reply with quote
I seem to get logged out 2 or 3 times a year. No idea why.
Fortunately my user name and password are there and I just need to click to get back in.

Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote
Why do Gary's postings now say "Guest" ??

I didn't know you could remove a name from the member list - even my old "bart" moniker is still there after being inactive for several years. But Marantz is gone from the list, and the "author search" window draws a blank.

Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I would love to know the answer to that question.