Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

Syd
Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12889 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
My two biggest binges were Blood+, which I watched all fifty episodes over a couple of weeks, and Bones, which I watched something like eight seasons worth after finally trying an episode on Netflix.

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:28 pm Reply with quote
It would be interesting if it turns out Sam is not Lila's murderer. on HTGAWM (Although it'll be a relief that we have no more tortured conversations between Sam and Annalise Keating. But how does she explain this to Alex and Mallory?)

Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by bartist on Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:50 pm; edited 3 times in total

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying tonight's "Castle." But does anyone else think Nathan F is starting to look a lot like John Goodman?
bartist
Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Hadn't given it any thought, but you may be right. If they do a remake of the The Big Lebowski, say around 2020, they could let him audition for the Walter Sobchak role. He would be perfect.

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Last night's "Bones" was a delight--I guess the "Person of Interest" writers aren't the only ones who love Hitchcock.

Stephen Colbert has only one more week before The Colbert Report closes down, and like the rest of the Colbert Nation, I'm feeling pretty sad. But his shows this week have been phenomenal. Starting with Obama's performance (not just an appearance) Monday night, and ending with last night's interview with Smaug the dragon, they've added up to some TV benchmarks that will be hard to beat. And he still has four shows to go…
Syd
Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:49 am Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
Last night's "Bones" was a delight--I guess the "Person of Interest" writers aren't the only ones who love Hitchcock.

"If we look at these remains as if they were dinosaurs, then we should be able to determine what happened to this poor woman." Yep, that's how forensic science works.

Love Vaziri as the diamond fence.

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:30 pm Reply with quote
P of I looks to be a good one tonight - Samaritan will try to flush out the Machine from the shadows.

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Tonight's "Person of Interest" was reportedly the first of three ending the season. And they certainly set themselves a challenge--no less than a battle of the gods, with some kind of forty-year-old espionage twist lurking beneath. It's been a long time since I thought of "Colossus: The Forbin Project," but it seems Jonathan Nolan has. That movie, as I recall, had a very uneasy ending. But whatever is going on, I'm loving it.

Except that our heroes seem to be in imminent peril. I've seldom been so anxious over the fates of fictional characters. Including Bear.
bartist
Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:37 am Reply with quote
I liked the young Greer segment, the passage from innocence and all. Not sure why Greer wasn't serving as avatar who meets with Root, but the choice of a young child certainly upped Samaritan' s evilness quotient. Very creepy and playing off the human shield nastiness.

The three eps don't end the season - two of them show after the winter hiatus, and then more to follow. Or did I misunderstand what you mean by trilogy?

yes, very worrisome threats to our fictional friends. Finch takes a bullet but survives, I suspect. I am concerned for Lionel, however.

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:53 am Reply with quote
I just checked an online review and it said this episode was the first of "a three-part event," and it does jump over to the next season. The review also clarified a couple of things that eluded me, but I still want to know where Finch got that Beatrice Lillie sandwich for Shaw. (I wonder if Billy is the only other person here who knows who Bea Lillie was.)

That kid who played the Samaritan avatar was phenomenal. The reviewer felt that his skill distracted a bit from the scene--and it's true, I couldn't help being impressed at his talent.
knox
Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Me, too. Eerie performance. And the show proceeds to AI-mageddon. And Root and Shaw smooching, or am I just imagining that vibe?

Any fans of PofInt may like to check out "Black Mirror," a British anthology series imbued with techno-paranoia and often twilight zonish situations. The first episode is a very wicked satire of our media saturated lives.

Actually,, anyone who likes a story well-told...
Ghulam
Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Final "Colbert Report" tonight. Sad!

bartist
Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Have missed the lezz vibe on P of I, Knox.

Black Mirror is dark and quite polished. Seriously, it's wonderful.

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
The finale of The Colbert Report was almost like the end of an era, though it was less than ten years old (and it didn't seem that long). I was impressed by the way the media reacted, almost as if they loved the show as much as I did. He doesn't start the Late Show until September, so it's going to be a long year till then. And of course, he'll be himself, rather than the wonderfully hilarious Report persona.

Craig Ferguson's final show surprised me--I didn't even realize it was happening so soon. The opening number was terrific, with so many participating former guests (much like Colbert's finale), most of whom I didn't recognize. The New Yorker has an excellent article about it, mostly echoing my own feelings about the show--that it was an original, irreverent delight at the beginning, but had slipped a lot over the years. (I still miss his "Michael Caine in Space" bits.) The shows after his parents died were two of the most memorable evenings I've seen on TV, as he talked of them with such grief and humor. I'll miss him, even though I no longer watched the show very often.