Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

bartist
Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
The theological symbolism has been there all along, but it does seem to be more overt now. I'm sure Caviezel's best known film role adds a bit of resonance for some viewers, though here he seems more like a warrior/saint, who does a lot of kneecapping for the Lord.

The flashbacks were interesting, with Harold "killing" 42 of his 43 AIs, some of whom seemed quite morally challenged. That one who started a fire so that the halon gas would choked Harold to death seemed esp. wicked, or as Harold notes, very purpose-driven.

Root, if not a messiah, sure seems like the high priestess of her machine god, and no doubt her floor-shooting skills will continue to be of pivotal importance in the Manichean war. Not sure I'd want to sleep in a hotel whose floors are so permeable to bullets.

Once again, I spotted the number "108" displayed a couple places in the episode, and wondered if Abrams likes to toss the occasional bone to former "Lost" fans and that show's obsession with the number. IIRC, it is the number of avatars of Brahma in the Hindu pantheon, so the more Talmudic dissect-every-detail-to-tiny-pieces fans can chew on that.

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Root's conversation with Finch was also very interesting, and her certainty that there will be "sacrifices" (wasn't that her word?) in the battle made me worry that she might be more like Joan of Arc. Fortunately she was only winged…this time.

I'd forgotten about Caviezel's movie role, but after all, he had a beard in that one. I thought it was a well done film, and saw no sign of anti-Semitism in it. And it's worth speculating that it may have had something to do with his becoming Reese, a.k.a. The Man in the Suit.
bartist
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:16 pm Reply with quote
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/abc-suspiciously-close-pete-hamill-article-1.1946018

"Forever" - the new ABC series does seem strikingly like the Pete Hamill novel of the same name. The writers say it's coincidence. Hmm.

It also seems remarkably similar to 2008 Fox series, "New Amsterdam."

Which, as i recall, also garnered accusations that it had ripped off Hamill.

Might watch tonight, see how Ian Gruff (spelling simplified for no good reason) deals with his shot at immortality.

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I found "Forever" to be...too long. Got through 20 minutes or so.

Looks like Kalinda Sharma is leaving TGW. I sensed her character was getting more and more sidelined, and zero interaction with the main character which is usually not a good sign?

Generally, the series seems to be throwing in plot complications and odd characters as if the writers are no longer sure that the basic formula will keep us interested. They've pulled David Hyde Pierce from Broadway or wherever he's been, so maybe that will help.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:06 am Reply with quote
Kalinda's character has been more or less sidelined for the last season or so. It's been frustrating for us Archie Panjabi fans, but the upside is that Panjabi is getting a brand new series of her very own. She's a wonderful actress and, of course, a drop-dead-gorgeous woman, so this is good news.

I do hope that before the end of Kalinda's last season they come to grips with the lingering mystery of what happened to her ex-husband Nick. Last we saw of him he was threatening her with bodily injury and a lot of other bad stuff. Cut to a bar, with Kalinda assuring Alicia that they would never ever ever have to worry about Nick again. What happened? I'm okay with Kalinda having offed him; he deserved it. But they have to bring some closure to this puppy or I'm gonna be mad.

I sort of agree with knox about the random nature of the recent plot complications on TGW, but the actors still keep me riveted. Julianna Margulies is a true star and holds the center with seeming effortlessness, and her supporting cast is terrific.

Last edited by billyweeds on Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total
bartist
Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I would like to know what happened to Mr. Kalinda, too. If there is some kind of farewell story arc for her, surely they would flashback to that.

I would agree that the acting smorgasbord remains delectable, even if the curry dish is no longer offered. - and I'm glad to hear Ms. Panjabi has a spotlight awaiting. She can put her finger in my ice cream anytime.

Missed this week's TGW, with the Niles Crane, er I mean DH-P guesting. My daughter was a bit hung up on DH-P for a bit, watching Frasier eps on Hulu one year when she was ducking her college homework (now that she's a budding concert musician, she can't slack so easily, because it's all about practice practice practice....she and her mom inspire me so much, I'm learning Chopin's famous Scherzo no. 2, even though it's a ways beyond my skill level) - it was she who noticed, as new buildings went up on campus, that there is a brand of construction crane called Niles, and one will see "Niles Crane" printed on the boom as it swings around. Guess this inspired the naming of Frasier's brother?

Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/24/opinion/i-have-a-character-issue.html?_r=0&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1416070944-WQz4Qf3LFSnV2oVkIaSFsQ

comment section, as well as Gunn's op-ed, is an interesting look at the sometimes venomous reactions to her Skyler character on "Breaking Bad."

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote
Julianna Margulies in The Good Wife just keeps getting better and better and better. Her performance in this week's episode is arguably her best to date--multi-layered, ranging from high to low comedy to drama to high-class soap opera and hitting all the levels in between. Margulies is not a "good" actress, she's a great one.

The same episode introduced the character of Alicia's campaign commercial director played by David Krumholtz, who was absolutely hilarious. His interactions with Sarah Steele as Alicia's "body woman" were priceless.
bartist
Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:57 am Reply with quote
I was amazed at how many subplots were woven into the show, without neglecting any of them....Cary's relationship with Bishop, Kalinda's fed GF and the leak, Alicia and DHP striving to not go negative, Alicia dealing with all her new handlers, the very funny Krumholz and the body woman, the cheating thing with Peter, Alicia's moment of sexual tension with Finn, etc. Was there any court dramedy this week? Am having trouble recalling...no, guess not.

But Cary has his day in court next week...

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:12 pm Reply with quote
"Castle" was superficial fun last night, with some promise that the main characters' marriage will become a Nick & Nora sort of relationship and not cause the show to jump the shark. But are the writers hoping the audience will forget about Castle's mysterious two months of amnesia? It's a bit annoying when that intriguing plot point isn't even mentioned.
bartist
Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
As Kalinda's spouse is to TGW, Richard's missing time is to Castle.

Do we know for sure that he had amnesia? I missed most of the season, so haven't seen the relevant eps.

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
As Kalinda's spouse is to TGW, Richard's missing time is to Castle.

Do we know for sure that he had amnesia? I missed most of the season, so haven't seen the relevant eps.

He says he did. And I see no reason not to believe him. Unlike Sherlock, whose several explanations of his fake death were fictitious--unless someone can tell me what I missed.
knox
Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:02 am Reply with quote
Rick Castle is not Walter White, Bart. If he says he has amnesia, no reason not to believe him.

btw....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ovqM72em1dA

New series with Julia Louis-D, Aaron Paul, and Bryan Cranston.

(May be too silly for some viewers)
bartist
Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:57 am Reply with quote
Not for this viewer. If only that were a real series.

Speaking of BB, I was reading recently that some survey found that it's the most binge-watched series in the country. Not surprising. A few weeks ago, I decided to rewatch Season Two, which I had remembered as an outstanding one, and found myself all the way up to the "face off" episode at season 4 conclusion before I could tear myself away. Make no mistake, insofar as your free time is concerned, BB IS the danger!

I also had to dip back into the short season one and rewatch the Talking Pillow episode. For humor, that ep and "The Fly" are my favorites.
(and an honorable mention goes to the one where Mike invades the Chinese lab....after a shootout, Mike asks the chemist to ask the lady in the reception area if she is okay....he asks in Chinese, and the lady responds with an angry tirade that goes on for several minutes...chemist looks at Mike and says, "She say, 'Yes.'")

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:43 pm Reply with quote
So Hulu plus got the exclusive of season 1 of The Bridge. Won't be on Netflix. I may have to switch back- really want to catch this series. Given some of its themes, and SW locale, sounds like possible methadone for Breaking Bad addiction. And the cast list intrigues me. I see Ted Levine plays a cop named Hank. Hmm.

BTW, my son was recently driving the highway through the center of Nevada known as "America's Loneliest Highway" - he reports that it lives up to its name. Except the lonely was briefly broken by the appearance of a NHP cruiser....he was stopped and given a citation for some minor infraction...anyway, the guy looked like Hank Schrader (aka Dean Norris) and had some of the rough charm. A slightly surreal moment in my son's travels.