Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

knox
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
http://www.fappythemovie.com/

I saw an article early 2014 that expressed uncertainty if Moore was perpetrator of the hoax or a victim of the hoaxer, who may or may not live in Oklahoma.
bartist
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Poor Fappy couldn't achieve national release.

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:38 am Reply with quote
Definitely a hoax. Banksy's still at it....

http://www.visualnews.com/2014/10/20/banksys-alarming-new-work-bristol/#more-114688
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Frank Grillo, who got one of my votes for 2012's best supporting actor in Disconnect, stars in this video of "My Desire," current tune from Interpol. I play a washed-up drunk, not (shall we say?) type-casting.

http://www.paradoxal.net/interpol-my-desire/
Syd
Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12889 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Someone broke the Ten Commandments monument at the State Capitol in Oklahoma City, thus joining Moses as one of the few people to break all ten commandments simultaneously.

Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:18 am Reply with quote
Heh! Looks like it wasn't a constitutional lawyer or ACLU member. But the guy claimed to be a Satanist, which might be about the same thing.

That Interpol video....am getting an image of Weeds as the guy in Okla.

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
http://www.space.com/27617-virgin-galactic-spaceshiptwo-test-flight-anomaly.html

Preliminary report is one pilot dead, one seriously injured.

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:10 pm Reply with quote
That's sad. Reminder that "the right stuff" involves facing death calmly every time you test fly something. We sometimes forget that these types of gutsy people made commercial aviation possible. If I were one of the 700 advance ticket holders, this wouldn't affect my resolve to take the ride.

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:28 am Reply with quote
What's up with the Ebola nurse.
Her and her lawyer challenging quarantines.
First off, the gov't most certainly has the power to restrict one person's civil liberties and freedom in the interest of protecting thousands maybe millions of other citizens from a deadly disease. Protecting citizen health is one of the core gov't functions. And Ebola has a 50% death rate, higher if not caught early, and is contagious.

This is tightly targeted, as she was in direct contact with Ebola victims on West Africa, where the safety procedures are not likely as rigorous as one would want even in the best of times, let alone during an epidemic outbreak.

And this idea of self-monitoring and going about your business until you show symptoms seems ludicrous. Because once you start having symptoms, you are contagious and might be among the public for hours before you realize you have a fever and such. It's admirable that these medical personnel risk their lives halfway across the world, but then why return and cavalierly put at risk thousands of others who have otherwise a near zero chance of contacting the disease.

Also, I don't buy the rhetoric saying that Ebola is hard to catch and pass on. In Dallas, two nurses who were donning full protective gear and being careful around an Ebola patient caught it. Anyway, I just can't believe these health professionals are so selfish as to not abide by a 3-week quarantine during the incubation length of the disease. Get a freaking netflix account and kick back until you are verifiably Ebola-free.

Otherwise, I haven't seen any articles about the treatment being used vs. Ebola. It doesn't have a cure, but there are apparently relatively useful methods being employed to counter it. I haven't even seen info on how they test for it, and how they can ascertain someone is Ebola free. The reporting seems fairly shoddy and fact-free. All you hear is how you can get it.

Last edited by gromit on Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:46 am Reply with quote
Self-monitoring works because you start getting a low fever before you get contagious, and you can bet she's monitoring her temperature several times a day. As far as testing, there is a blood test for it which isn't that useful because, although it's sensitive, it won't detect it until you're starting to get the fever. You can take samples of the liver to detect it, but apparently it's one of those cases where you're much more likely to be damaged by the test than have Ebola.

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, I don't buy the rhetoric saying that Ebola is hard to catch and pass on. In Dallas, two nurses who were donning full protective gear and being careful around an Ebola patient caught it. Anyway, I just can't believe these health professionals are so selfish as to not abide by a 3-week quarantine during the incubation length of the disease. Get a freaking netflix account and kick back until you are verifiably Ebola-free.

Sometimes attempts to ease public alarm backfire when ludicrous assurances are given. Ebola is hard to catch? AYFKM? As for the nurse's conduct, it's doubly bizarre because nurses in my experience are usually overcautious and send patients home with OTT hygiene advice. Maybe a new wrinkle in the old adage about doctors making the worst patients.

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
RIP Tom Magliozzi, age 77, of Click and Clack, from complications following Alzheimer's.

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh my God! That is so sad!! I didn't know Tommy even had Alzheimer's. I was, and am, a longtime fan of Click and Clack. Didn't know the bros were that old, either. Their hearts, on the show, seemed very young. I am going to miss the holy living bejesus out of Click, or Clack, whichever tappet sound he was.

As a shade tree mechanic (mostly former, now that a wrist joint has crapped out on me), those guys just rocked my world.

Damn.

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Election results STINK.

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
Election results STINK.

Amen. At least here in NY we still have a Democratic governor.