Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

bartist
Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Can I possibly express how much I enjoyed being Mark Ruffalo in a farmhouse? I think not. For verite's sake, though, cast a wrinkly Bryan Cranston, tapping on a Samsung in the foothills of a western mountain range, with Mad Maxian bikers rumbling past en route to the Sturgis Rally. His lap is full of cats and sawdust.

Haven't seen The 100. Now I've been gkven fair warning.

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:52 am Reply with quote
I've had it with dystopias. Things are getting too close to the reality these days, and I'm beginning to believe those right-wing scare e-mails about how everything is falling apart and we need to stockpile canned goods and water.

I loved "Quantum Leap"--it was 20 years ago, hard to believe. Scott Bakula still looks good, though.
carrobin
Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Breaking news (as they say on TV)--James Corden will be the host of CBS's "Late Late Show" when Craig Ferguson exits in December. He's mostly unknown to the USA now (though he won a Tony a couple of years ago), but he's in a couple of upcoming movies. It'll be interesting to see if his British reputation follows him here.
carrobin
Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Is anyone else watching any of the Simpsons marathon that started Thursday? I have to admit, it's hard to switch away. Seeing a dozen of them one after another is fascinating--the sheer inventiveness and hilarity and consistency of the series almost makes one dizzy. (Ned Flanders to Reverend Lovejoy after a hurricane destroys his house while leaving the Simpsons' intact: "Is God punishing me?" Lovejoy: "Short answer yes, with an if; long answer no, with a but.")
marantzo
Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
The Simpsons is a classic and will probably run forever. Laughing
Funny thing is that when my late wife and myself went to a movie a long time ago. They had a cartoon of the Simpson's going to a shrink. We both wondered what it was all about and where this family came from. Months later the Simpsons series hit the TV. We found out what it was all about. Razz
bartist
Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Finally caught up a bit with Elementary and the MI6 mole and the Mycroft framing, which I guess is the season ender. Hope Ifans sticks around next season - he's a terrific Mycroft.

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Bart...just to pass something along. You often mention your Nordic roots. And now that you have Netflix you might enjoy Lilyhammer, a Norwegian comedy starring Steven Van Sandt as an American mobster in witness protection to a location of his choice...the site of the Winter Olympics. It's a bilingual show with mostly Norwegian actors and Norwegian settings...(I'm watching it for the scenery.)

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, B. Yeah, the Netflix software "picked" Lilyhammer as something I might like to watch. But I'd rather have it recommended by a human.

If it isn't too cloudy up there, I expect the Hammerites enjoyed some major aurora borealis last night, due to the solar flare activity. Don't know if it messed up the satellites as they were predicting...

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
well, I'm human. Lilyhammer has 3 seasons so perhaps there will include a light show.

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:49 am Reply with quote
An absolutely brilliant miniseries called The Slap is being streamed on Netflix. Based on a best-selling novel of the same name, filmed in Australia, it deals with the ramifications from an incident at a man's 40th birthday party, where a child acts up obnoxiously and is slapped by one of the male adults. Each of the eight episodes centers on a different individual and traces the fallout. Hard to describe, but psychologically true and riveting, and marvelously well acted.
carrobin
Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Great "Person of Interest" last night. From last season's finale, I'd been afraid that some of the characters were going to be missing for a while, but no, there they were, risking life and limb and freedom by getting back together. And how I love to see John throw people out barroom windows.

Did anyone else see "Gotham," "Scorpion," or "Forever" on Monday night? They all seem to have potential.
marantzo
Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Didn't see Gotham. Saw Scorpion, it was interesting. Saw Forever, left about 15 0r 20 minutes in. Not to my liking.
bartist
Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:56 am Reply with quote
Didn't realize P of I was back so soon. Hope they repeat it. "The Slap" is great tv, as Weeds described. Havent seen any new US series, might try Tea Leoni one, see if it's my cup of ---.

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I liked "Forever," though if its permanent home is going to be up against "P of I," I probably won't see it very often. Ioan Gruffudd (whatever happened to actors' changing their names to something reasonable?) is an appealing guy, with the style of Pierce Brosnan or even Harrison Ford, and it never hurts to have Judd Hirsch around. Gruffudd plays a 200-year-old man (not a vampire, though--his condition is a mystery) who works in a New York mortuary and seems to be (yet another) Sherlock Holmes type. Considering that another new show on the same night, "Scorpion," features a group of ultrasmart geeks who know everything there is to know about math, science, and computers, it was a bit ironic that Jon Stewart began The Daily Show shortly afterward with clips of a couple of incredibly stupid Republican congressmen (members of the House science-and-whatever committee no less) who were not only skeptical but hostile toward a scientist who was trying to explain climate change. Why are our smart guys playing computer games in barns while such idiots are running the country? I hope it's just a matter of an unfortunate juxtaposition. (But when you consider that the Scorpions are fictional and the Republicans are real....)
bartist
Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:22 am Reply with quote
"...something reasonable? "

Ian McGruff.

Scorpion got a lot of panning at R.Tomatoes. Generally, I wonder if geek-team shows are too numerous. And the problem with global problems is that they tend to be global, so you really need multiple geek-barns to get anywhere?

missed the Viola Davis law prof. premiere last night, due to inability to stop watching The Slap, the Oz miniseries BW recomm.