Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

billyweeds
Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:25 am Reply with quote
Who are they? (Besides Obama.)
jeremy
Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:45 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
It's just a random local family that he chanced upon during his unannounced visit to Stonehenge. They waved at him from behind the boundary fence and Obama, seeing them there, he wondered over for an impromptu chat. The children were unmoved - Obama who - but the parents were charmed and wowed. He even consented to a couple of selfies. I'm sure many cynics would suggest it was just another staged photo op, but hopefully many will see it for what it is - Obama just being the nice guy he is. It made me smile to see that the pressures of office or the instilled paranoia of his security staff hasn't turned Obama into a distant recluse.

The mother, Janice, promptly tweeted the moment under her moniker. @beesrun - she undertakes charity runs dressed as a bee to raise money for cancer research and to highlight the issue of declining bee populations.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
bartist
Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The mother, Janice, promptly tweeted the moment under her moniker.

I'm not familiar with that article of clothing. You Brits...

Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Yes, a moniker is the Celtic equivalent of an anorak.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
Syd
Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Reviews of Anatomy of a Murder, Welcome Danger and F for Fake moved to Couch.

Last edited by Syd on Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:50 am; edited 2 times in total

Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:12 am Reply with quote
An interesting trio.
But you might want to nudge that over to Couch.

Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:59 am Reply with quote
Anatomy was the movie that (coupled with The Long, Hot Summer) made Lee Remick my favorite movie sex symbol of the post-Grace Kelly era.
marantzo
Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:47 am Reply with quote
Lee Remick died way too young.

When a girlfriend of mine (many years ago) and I went to NYC one summer, we went the Lobster Restaurant (don't remember if that was the name of it), and when the waiter came around for our order, he said to my girlfriend, "You look like Lee Remick." I looked a her and she actually did. Lee Remick was not alive at the time.
yambu
Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:34 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Anatomy was the movie that (coupled with The Long, Hot Summer) made Lee Remick my favorite movie sex symbol of the post-Grace Kelly era.
In LHS I could hardly stand her screechy Southern brat. She was exasperating for all but one of the characters. But she had her share of good lines, no doubt borrowed from Faulkner. And so yes, she filled the bill. But sex symbol? The crafting of her part prohibited that. Now, her Anatomy character. That was hot and trashy.

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quote
This is sad:

Twenty years ago, the U.S. Supreme Court was considering a Texas case about capital punishment, and at the time, then-Justice Harry Blackmun made the argument that the death penalty is unconstitutional.

Justice Antonin Scalia pushed back, highlighting a convicted killer named Henry Lee McCollum as an obvious example of a man who deserved to be put to death. “For example, the case of an 11-year-old girl raped by four men and then killed by stuffing her panties down her throat,” Scalia wrote in a 1994 ruling. “How enviable a quiet death by lethal injection compared with that!”

For Scalia, McCollum was the perfect example – a murderer whose actions were so heinous that his crimes stood as a testament to the merit of capital punishment itself.

Yesterday, a judge ordered McCollum’s release. Scalia’s model example was innocent all along.

Thirty years after their convictions in the rape and murder of an 11-year-old girl in rural North Carolina, based on confessions that they quickly repudiated and said were coerced, two mentally disabled half brothers were declared innocent and ordered released Tuesday by a judge here.

The case against the men, always weak, fell apart after DNA evidence implicated another man whose possible involvement had been somehow overlooked by the authorities even though he lived only a block from where the victim’s body was found, and he had admitted to committing a similar rape and murder around the same time.

McCollum, now 50 years old, had spent 30 years behind bars, most of the time on death row.

If you are mentally disabled, or poor, your chances of being screwed like this greatly increase. It's amazing how many death row inmates have been released in the past 20 years since DNA testing has become available. Almost no question some innocent men have been put to death. These step-brothers spent 30 years in jail, primarily on death row.
Though I sure wouldn't want to be in the general prison population with mental retardation and convicted of child molestation...
Altogether some sad shit.

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:11 pm Reply with quote
And this is stupid:

The 23 states that have refused Medicaid expansion under Obamacare will be sending $152 billion in taxes paid over the next 10 years to states that did expand. That's from a McClatchy analysis of Urban Institute data. Among the states that will be really losing out, is North Carolina, which will shell out about $10 billion.

And in other news, the full DC Fed Appeals Court will rehear the Halbig case which had invalidated the federal exchanges. So the judgemnt has been vacated and therefore its unlikely the Scotus will take any action, at least until after the full en banc hearing. Expectations are the federal exchanges will be upheld.

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
gromit -

Scalia is what we derisively refer to as a Cafeteria Catholic. Accepts Curch teachings only when it suits him.

So it is not "unlikely" the SCOTUS will hear the DC case now that the decision has been vacated, it is procedurally impossible. There is no lonver a final appealable decision for them to hear. They COULD hear and decide the Virginia case, but it is unlikely they will do so without a conflict in the circuits. Or at least until the en banc DC coirt weighs in.

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:30 am Reply with quote
Well, I did say "its unlikely the Scotus will take any action" -- meaning regarding the issue in general, until the en banc decision is released.

And Scalia likely follows the Church teachings on contraception, as he has something like 9 children. 10 and your honorary Irish.

Scalia's one son, Gene, was two years ahead of me in law school. He was something of a rock star, since all those Federalist Society types loved his conservative ideas and no doubt many of them wanted to meet his father and get into his/their network. But besides seeing him and his followers, I didn't have any interaction with him. First year law school students being largely confined to their own sub-ghetto.

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I think the Scalia anecdote about capital punishment misses the point it is being used for here. He wasn't so much saying "this person with this name deserves death" as "the person who committed this crime deserves death." So while I myself am against capital punishment, I don't think Scalia's "model example" invalidates his argument.

I hate the term "cafeteria Catholic," since every thinking person considers the merits of a religious teaching his or her self and finds some valid and some invalid. I'm not sure even the canonized saints followed the teachings of the Church to the letter. Plus it is such a perfect example of Catholic guilt in action: belittling and condescending at the same time, no respect shown, no attempt at understanding or compassion, judgment dispensed coldly.

I'm not understanding the logic behind states not opting to go with Obama's Medicaid plan having to shell out money to states that did. What is the logic there?

-Topher
gromit
Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:09 am Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
I think the Scalia anecdote about capital punishment misses the point it is being used for here. He wasn't so much saying "this person with this name deserves death" as "the person who committed this crime deserves death." So while I myself am against capital punishment, I don't think Scalia's "model example" invalidates his argument.

But one step further, you can rarely be 100% sure you have convicted the person who actually committed the crime. One of many areas where capital punishment breaks down is the entirety of court proceedings -- "beyond a reasonable doubt," eyewitness testimony (often unreliable), police planting or withholding evidence, shady confessions, ineffective counsel (there are accounts of first time capital case lawyers actually sleeping during stretches of the trial), poorly handled evidence, etc. And that's not even getting into the pernicious effects of race, poverty, and mental capacity

Scalia was fully convinced this man should die for this heinous crime, and he would have been thoroughly satisfied justice was done if this man was fried ... and it would have been a complete travesty. As it was that this poor feeb and his half brother spent 30 years in jail in the prime of his life. They were very lucky the DNA evidence was saved, kept in useable condition, and someone actually convinced a court to allow it to be accessed and tested. And still they might not have been freed if the authorities weren't able to find another man who likely did it.

Further, Scalia and other rigthist jurists (especially Rehnquist, but continuing with Roberts) have systematically made it more difficult for death row inmates to get extra appeals and prolong their cases. They've often decried the length of time it takes to execute someone, but these men are free (and not dead) because they were able to keep the legal process alive and get another appeal (and the DNA evidence examined).

Capital punishment is amazingly flawed, and this is just another of dozens of wrongly condemned men set free by DNA evidence. I'm pretty sure that Illinois death row has seen more men exonerated and set free than executed over the past 20 years.