Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

Syd
Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
The big animation question to me is why Mulan doesn't have a nose. Nostrils, yes, but the bridge of her nose is entirely missing. One of the reasons I had trouble the first time I approached the film.

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
I didn't really notice the nose thing - I guess it was an attempt to make her look both oriental and girlishly cute.

Without ever reaching the heights of Beauty and the Beast, Hunchbackand others, Mulan - charming and watchable - was a solid piece of work from Disney's second golden era (1989 to 2002).

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
carrobin
Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I still haven't seen "Mulan," but I caught "Frozen" on a night of free pay-cable, and found out why it's such a hit. I started off thinking it was pretty much the usual charming/amusing/clever Disney princess tale, but when Elsa goes rogue and builds that ice palace, it takes off and becomes a superior version of the usual plot. I liked the romantic twist at the end too.

I also caught the last half of "Brave," and I'll have to look it up and catch the first half when I get a chance, because it's a delight. The accents were well done--just thick enough to sound Scottish, but not thick enough to be incomprehensible (as they can be in Edinburgh even now).
gromit
Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:38 am Reply with quote
I didn't get much out of Frozen at all.

Thought Brave was very well done, though could have done with less bear/bodily function jokes towards the end.

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
The Israeli movie Fill the Void is about a conservative Hassidic family. An 18 year old girl is pressured to marry the husband of her late sister. Very sensitively directed. Excellent performances. Good glimpses of Hasidic family life and society.
bartist
Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e6d_gzaDgk

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:08 am Reply with quote
The 2012 Italian film Nina is nothing special. A 20-something brunette with a Jean Seberg 'do languishes away a Summer, pet-sitting and studying calligraphy and interacting with a young boy and a potential boyfriend.
Sort of restless languor as she binges on fancy cakes and wants something more.

I got rather bored, but the most interesting part of the film was the buildings. It's filmed in the EUR* District of Rome, which was intended to be a fascist celebration (20 years!) and the site of the 1942 World's Expo, which was calcelled due to war. So there are a bunch of monumental neo-classical and modernist buildings, including the "Square Colosseum".
It's interesting how the Nazi architecture is often commented upon, but I was largely unfamiliar with Mussolini's attempts to reshape Rome. Fascists were nothing if not ambitious.

As for the film, the relationships all felt rather phony. The sensitive 11 year old boy in the building who becomes her confidant. The Chinese calligraphy professor who dispenses odd philosophy. The potential suitor who seems rather neutered. The architecture was the star, even if not terribly well-integrated. It seemd more odd and curious than natural and part of her world. Maybe the alienating effect is what they were going for. But the film just had too limited a groove to really be interesting or substantial.

* EUR = Esposizione Universale Roma (Universal Exposition being an older name for what is now usually called a World's Fair or World Expo)
Next World's Fair is next year in Milan. The last one in Shanghai in 2010 was fun and interesting.

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:55 am Reply with quote
Have to take this time to promote Thanks for Sharing, which just started streaming on Netflix. The star is my top man-crush Mark Ruffalo, but aside from that it's one of the most even-handed 12-step-program movies I've ever seen, and I've seen a ton of them. This one is about sex addiction and three guys who are using the program to fight it. Ruffalo's sponsor is an older man played by Tim Robbins, and Ruffalo's sponsee is Josh (Book of Mormon) Gad. Ruffalo gets into a relationship with Gwyneth Paltrow and Gad forms a platonic relationship with Pink (yes, though she's called "Alecia Moore" in the credits). Robbins has problems with his drug-addict son (Patrick Fugit of Almost Famous). It's all acted beautifully and honestly, with laughs to leaven the sometimes painful facts. The movie was severely underrated on its release about a year ago. Now is the time for reevaluation--via Netflix. Stream, stat.
yambu
Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Three brothers, all strange, reluctantly agree to take the Darjeeling Limited across India to attend their father's funeral. The father never liked the sons, nor did their mother (Angelica Huston). The boys themselves can barely hang together.

One of the brothers, the most shallow of them, fancies himself a Santa Monica-style guru, holding the others to an itinerary of holy places where he finally gets one shoe stolen and loses all the inner peace he had built up over the week.

The brothers can cooperate enough to pool their medications in a futile effort to get high.

One of them falls for an Indian woman on the railway staff, and devotes life and soul in his pursuit of her all over the train.

Caution - The movie has a forward. It's a terribly done love scene that later fits into everything.

Finally, this Indian train had the right wall of each car missing, for ventilation and more room. This allows still right angle cameras to view the inner life of each car as it passes slowly.

It's not Bollywood, but it's a great imitation.

Last edited by yambu on Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
yambu
Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
[DELETED]

Last edited by yambu on Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
yambu
Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
[DELETED
Syd
Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I found The Darjeeling Limited to be unwatchable.

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:52 pm Reply with quote
This is a practical joke, right? Smile

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote
yambu wrote:
This is a practical joke, right? Smile

No. I made it about twenty minutes in, which is about five minutes more than Nancy did. I didn't like The Royal Tenenbaums very much, either. I do like Fantastic Mr. Fox, which suggests to me that I might like Anderson films if he wasn't directing humans and writing original screenplays.

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I watched all of the Ltd. Vignettish, but if you get past the first 30 min. or so, there is an offbeat comic momentum that might allow you to see it's all about the journey, not the destination. Think Bottle Rocket with curry and cobras and musings about how we must lose our baggage. I really don't know why I like it so much.