Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:56 am Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
I didn't take Joe's as a negative review, just critical.

This is exactly right. Thanks. Not sure how calling a movie "more worth seeing than anything else around" translates into my "not liking it."

Tynan's piece is well-worth reading as one more example of how group-think is no longer the province of fascist conservatives or politicians alone, and though most of what I like in it relates to that general concept and not Boyhood, in particular about
Quote:
how much we live in a culture of hyperbole, how much we yearn to anoint films and call them masterpieces, perhaps to make our own critical lives feel more significant because it allows us to lay claim to having experienced something grand and meaningful.

Still, he sees what I see when he notes how
Quote:
its narrative feels fatally cobbled together, veering haphazardly from underdone moments to overdone melodramatic contrivance
and
Quote:
I have always been cool to Linklater's films, have never connected emotionally to his self-involved characters and a slacker aesthetic that treats banalities as if they were words of wisdom
is a response which especially fits me to a "tee," the sole exception being Dazed and Confused.

-Topher
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:47 am Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
Syd wrote:
I didn't take Joe's as a negative review, just critical.

This is exactly right. Thanks. Not sure how calling a movie "more worth seeing than anything else around" translates into my "not liking it."

Tynan's piece is well-worth reading...

Keepin' it real, I didn't say you didn't like it, just that you didn't "love it." Big difference. It's Kenneth Turan, btw, not the late great Kenneth Tynan.

Has everyone forgotten that Linklater directed the almost-great, certainly excellent School of Rock, featuring hilarious comedy, sweet poignance, and Jack Black's best performance by miles? This has almost nothing in common with Linklater's slacker movies, a lot of which have lost me (here is where Joe and I agree), including (sorry, Joe) a great deal of Dazed and Confused.

The Before series, School of Rock, and (last and the opposite of least) Boyhood are Linklater's best. IMO.
carrobin
Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:50 am Reply with quote
"Its narrative feels fatally cobbled together, veering haphazardly from underdone moments to overdone melodramatic contrivance"--sounds a lot like my everyday life. I haven't seen the film yet, though.

But I do love "School of Rock." I wish Jack Black would show up more often in that kind of movie. Seems like Seth Rogen is getting all those roles now.
bartist
Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Congress_(2013_film)

Somewhat based on a Stanislaw Lem novel....looks interesting, but I'm not expecting the 8/29 US release to bring it to stixville. Anyway, I heart Robin Wright and S. Lem, so hope it turns up in some form, sometime.

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Just saw Magic in the Moonlight. I liked it. It wasn't a movie that was very serious, but was fun to watch. Takes place in 1938 (I think that was the year), and mostly in England's countryside Manors next to a sea/ocean, whatever. A magician plans to show that a seance medium (female) is a fake.

Good movie. I give it ***out of*****.

Good music. WA always does have good music in his films.
Befade
Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Can't believe I'm the first to post about this. A Most Wanted Man. Reallly good movie. Good acting. Good plot. The right amount of suspense without violence. AND basically.......Philip Seymour Hoffman. I feel his loss so strongly. This was a great film for him to go out on. He was SO there. I could spend hours just rewatching all his films.

I don't fell the same way about Robin Williams.. They are both big losses this year......but Williams mainly for making his despair so well known. I just watched The Bird Cage.......a great ensemble and Mike Nichols directing. I enjoyed Williams persona as a gay bar owner.......much as I enjoyed it when he became Mrs. Doubtfire.

Hoffman was more every man.......a window into ourselves.

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:24 am Reply with quote
Those who know me at all know that my favorite living movie star is Michael Keaton, and that I have been very sad about the arc of his career. In 1988 he delivered one of the most astonishing one-two punches of my moviegoing life, with Beetlejuice and Clean and Sober, two totally contrasting and equally great performances. Then he did Batman and from then on he has been wandering from role to role, rarely finding one worthy of his enormous talent.

Until, apparently, now. This early Variety review of Birdman from Venice says he makes "the comeback of the century," quite a statement. But also that it's Inarritu's best movie to date. Release date is October 17, and I'll be salivating until then.

http://tinyurl.com/qgnvxqg

P.S. All the other reviews are equally good. So far it's a 100 on Rotten Tomatoes.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I hope you're right, because I'd like the man to have a comeback.

-Topher
marantzo
Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
As his fellow Rodeo friends asked, "So Mike, what do you do for a living?"
carrobin
Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Just yesterday I was watching some of the Simpsons marathon and there was one featuring a gravelly-voiced tough guy; I knew it had to be a guest voice but I couldn't identify it. Turned out to be Michael Keaton.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote
A later article in Variety predicts a lock on an Oscar nomination for Michael Keaton. This makes me almost ridiculously happy.

Sounds like Edward Norton has a good shot at a supporting nom as well.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
Leery as I am about locks before the movie has even screened, Birdman is on the short list of year end movies I am most looking forward to, along with Invincible (No, Unbroken. it is the screenwriting credits!). I have not decided if I cannot wait for Inherent Vice . Which will either be the greatest thing ever or a disaster of Synechdochenewyorkian proportions. There can be no middle ground.

Last edited by whiskeypriest on Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
whiskeypriest wrote:
Leery as I am about locks before the movie has even screened, Bordman is on the short list of year end movies I am most looking forward to, along with Invincible (it is the screenwriting credits!). I have not decided if I cannot wait for Inherent Vice . Which will either be fhe greatest thing ever or a disaster of Synechdochenewyorkian proportions. There can be no middle ground.

Don't know what Invincible is. Can't find it on IMDB. You and I are certainly on the same oage re: Synedoche.

Another movie I am looking forward to eagerly is The Skeleton Twins starring Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader as screwed-up siblings. It's a dark comedy and Joanna Gleason, from whom I recently took an awesome class, plays their mother.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
billyweeds wrote:
whiskeypriest wrote:
Leery as I am about locks before the movie has even screened, Bordman is on the short list of year end movies I am most looking forward to, along with Invincible (it is the screenwriting credits!). I have not decided if I cannot wait for Inherent Vice . Which will either be fhe greatest thing ever or a disaster of Synechdochenewyorkian proportions. There can be no middle ground.

Don't know what Invincible is. Can't find it on IMDB. You and I are certainly on the same oage re: Synedoche.

Another movie I am looking forward to eagerly is The Skeleton Twins starring Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader as screwed-up siblings. It's a dark comedy and Joanna Gleason, from whom I recently took an awesome class, plays their mother.
Probably because I meant Unbroken. Sheesh. The colonoscopy drugs should have worn off by now.

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I saw Guardians of The Galaxy yesterday. It was well worth the price of the ticket and the popcorn was good. It was funny in many ways and it was action packed with excellent sci-fi smash ups. Very good movie. Not a dull moment. Marvel makes good movies.

Has anyone here seen it?