Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Syd
Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
My favorite of his movies is "Moscow on the Hudson." I liked the dark turn he took in One Hour Photo and Insomnia and wish he'd done it more often. I also love Aladdin.

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
His grimmer, more complicated roles were generally strong. No one mentioned GMV, which seemed to me to be the one best-suited to his talents.

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:35 pm Reply with quote
R.I.P.

Lauren Bacall

carrobin
Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:32 pm Reply with quote
It does seem like it happens in clusters, doesn't it? At least she was 89--and had a long full life. Both she and Robin Williams were guests at our film class, and memorable ones at that.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I liked her performances when she wasn't pretending she could sing and dance. Loved her spunk in interviews.

-Topher
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:00 am Reply with quote
I saw her in Applause, the musical version of All About Eve, and she was actually very good as Margo Channing. Couldn't really sing or dance but faked it much more adeptly than many another would-be triple-threat.

Off stage, the rumors are waist-deep. Reportedly, she personified the b-word. Hey, she had to deal with Bogie, so why not?
whiskeypriest
Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:55 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
billyweeds wrote:
Since we're being honest here, I will confess that Popeye and Dead Poets Society are two of my all-time least favorite movies.
Popeye is the nadir for more than one really falented person. Could not make it through DPS.

Williams was in a ton of suckfests. I liked him better in darker and supporting roles than in comedies he starred in.

I always think of To Have and Have Not as eviden e of how much sexier movies were when people kept their clothes on.

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:43 am Reply with quote
You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve?

Wonder how many RW fans will be trying to find solace in "What Dreams May Come."

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:37 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
Its International Apostrophe Day! Be sure to use those apostrophe's correctly!

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Shit...I think I'll take the rest of the day off. But, unnecessary commas, are my real issue.

At least I'm not as clueless as whoever made this sign...Or should that be whomever?

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
jeremy
Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
I see that Andy Serkis is going to direct and feature in a new, mo-cap version of "Animal Farm". Two thoughts: unlike "1984, it's time is passed; and it's going to be tough to pull it off.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
Befade
Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Gromit.........after hearing you recommend World's Greatest Dad I checked it out. I watched half of it and paused. SO depressing and inappropriate to what we know now. Robin has a teenage son who is a real jerk and the opening scene shows the boy jerking off autocratically with a tie around his neck. His father sees him and says how dangerous that is. Then a little later the kid is doing the same thing.......and it kills him. Robin discovers this. I took a break. Thought these scenes were awful coincidences. Sometimes you have to plow through a whole movie to understand the whole movie.

But...........disturbingly Robin Williams comments twice that Suicide is a permanent solution to temporary problems. His strategy is to claim his son committed suicide and as a failed writer.......he creates the fake suicide not and the fake diary and the son turns into a hero.

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Betsy--All true, and all fascinating coincidences. The movie is rather profound in its satire of our culture, however, and I think Williams did a wonderful job. And I was never a fan of his.

Too bad he couldn't heed his character's advice.
Befade
Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Billy....I'm glad I watched it. But sad. The ending was very cool. The reaction of the teenagers and school staff was something else. Contrast that with the disgusting behavior of the son. This is what you get from independent films: doses of unexpected creativity. Still sad about Robin Williams.

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Remarkable how many people are chiming in with Robin Williams encounters and anecdotes. On a right-wing newsletter that tries to sell me gold, stocks, and miracle-herbal-cures-the-medical-industry-wants-to-keep-secret, the guy told about being a student at the school where "Dead Poets Society" was filmed, and described the excitement and the inconvenience (especially to the female students--it was coed, but the school in the film wasn't). He got a walk-on in the film and met Williams, who was friendly with everyone and enjoyed the pranks the boys played to annoy the crew (like setting up a mirror to reflect light and throw off the camera angles). So many people seemed to have had memorable encounters with him.