Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

billyweeds
Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:24 am Reply with quote
Agree about Family Plot, very underrated. But earlier misfires include I Confess (terrible), Stage Fright (sub-mediocre), Under Capricorn, and Mr. and Mrs. Smith (the latter two not in Hitch's wheelhouse).
Syd
Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:09 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I caught up with "Stage Beauty," where Billy Crudup plays an actor who specializes in playing in Charles II's time, and Claire Danes as the actress (his former dresser) who renders him obsolete. Lots of fun with things to say about sexual roles in real life and about acting in general, climaxing with a really good version of the big murder scene from "Othello." Rupert Everett is Charles II. Zoe Tapper is Nell Gwynn. Crudup's and Danes' characters, Edward Kynaston and Margaret Hughes, were famous actors of the time.

This and 'Shakespeare in Love' belong on a double bill.

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:25 am Reply with quote
For those who liked "Sharknado 2" and "Lucy" (I'm looking at you, Billy), my favorite delightful movie with a ridiculous plot will be on Saturday afternoon at 4:30, on TCM. It's called "I Love You Again" and stars William Powell and Myrna Loy. In fact, Saturday is William Powell day on TCM, so it looks like I'll be staying home and noshing on cookies.
marantzo
Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I like all those Powell/Loy movies.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:38 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
For those who liked "Sharknado 2" and "Lucy" (I'm looking at you, Billy), my favorite delightful movie with a ridiculous plot will be on Saturday afternoon at 4:30, on TCM. It's called "I Love You Again" and stars William Powell and Myrna Loy. In fact, Saturday is William Powell day on TCM, so it looks like I'll be staying home and noshing on cookies.

Actually haven't seen Sharknado 2 as yet, but that will be remedied. The first one was so insane it almost lost me--but not quite.
carrobin
Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Myrna Loy was at our film class once, and just as much fun as you would expect, even though she must have been in her 80s by then. She talked about how everyone thought she and Powell were married in real life. They were lifelong friends, though, no doubt because they'd never married each other. (She made her first films--silents!--when she was 16.)

And Billyweeds, if "Sharknado" almost lost you, you'll barely make it through The Second One--though you'll enjoy watching folks like Judd Hirsch and Robert Klein have a good time doing their New York bits.
Syd
Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:31 am Reply with quote
The Taming of the Shrew, the one with Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor. Lively version that helped keep the actors in shape with a lot of running and climbing as Petruchio tries to woo Katarina and she's having none of it. There are a lot nice little touches, including Kate's double takes when Petruchio first tells her he intends to woo her and later at their very strange wedding. I was struck by how, when Petruchio is leaving the city gates and calling Kate to follow, and she's looking around for support and there is absolutely nobody there to support her. (I also smiled at how quickly she starts to subvert Petruchio's household staff.) Taylor finds a way to deliver the problematic final speech to suggest that Kate has lost none of her fire, but is aiming it in another direction.

Altogether a pretty good version, and any problems are with the original play. They even got rid of the Sly section and found a better way to suggest it is a farce. (7 of 10)

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
I'm afraid that for all the (desperate) attempts to reinterpret The Taming of the Shrew in a more feminist-friendly way and despite my best efforts to view it in the light of the candles and oil lamps of the time, I just can't warm to the play.

Last edited by jeremy on Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
yambu
Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
The Taming of the Shrew, the one with Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor. Lively version that helped keep the actors in shape with a lot of running and climbing as Petruchio tries to woo Katarina and she's having none of it. There are a lot nice little touches, including Kate's double takes when Petruchio first tells her he intends to woo her and later at their very strange wedding. I was struck by how, when Petruchio is leaving the city gates and calling Kate to follow, and she's looking around for support and there is absolutely nobody there to support her. (I also smiled at how quickly she starts to subvert Petruchio's household staff.) Taylor finds a way to deliver the problematic final speech to suggest that Kate has lost none of her fire, but is aiming it in another direction.

Altogether a pretty good version, and any problems are with the original play. They even got rid of the Sly section and found a better way to suggest it is a farce. (7 of 10)
I disliked Burton's performance intensely. He had one expression that fit all his facial features, and one infuriating chuckle for whenever he was not speaking. I found it convenient to conclude that he probably was drunk, though I don't know.

I've seen two live performances recently, and it looks as though the business of Kate sliding her hand under Petruchio's deliberately upturned shoe heel is on the way out. Pity. How did the film treat it?

You can still John Cleese play the lead, but I wouldn't bother.
yambu
Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:

I disliked Burton's performance intensely. He had one expression that fit all his facial features, and one infuriating chuckle for whenever he was not speaking. I found it convenient to conclude that he probably was drunk, though I don't know.

I've seen two live performances recently, and it looks as though the business of Kate sliding her hand under Petruchio's deliberately upturned shoe heel is on the way out. Pity. How did the film treat it?

jeremy
Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)

Last edited by jeremy on Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:54 am; edited 1 time in total

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
yambu
Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
[deleted]
Syd
Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
yambu wrote:

Burton does do that during most of the film; it's kind of a devilish amused look, but he does drop it sometime when nobody's looking at Petruchio, which suggest to me that Pertuchio is generally playing a part. I don't think it's a really good performance by Burton. I like Taylor's a lot better. She has a nice laugh, and there's one moment when she goes from crying to giggling, right before she starts agreeing with Petruchio's absurdities.

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
[Burton does do that during most of the film; it's kind of a devilish amused look, but he does drop it sometime when nobody's looking at Petruchio, which suggest to me that Pertuchio is generally playing a part. I don't think it's a really good performance by Burton. I like Taylor's a lot better. She has a nice laugh, and there's one moment when she goes from crying to giggling, right before she starts agreeing with Petruchio's absurdities.
Kate is the more interesting. In the end, she has let Petruchio teach her how she can feign obedience while becoming the controlling spouse. Or is Petruchio smarter than that? Great stuff.
yambu
Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:29 pm Reply with quote
jeremy wrote:
I wonder if the way to stage it would be not to mitigate Kate's humiliation, but to show it for what it is - let the audience mourn for her broken spirit.
They had a pretty good shot at it. Petruchio is way late for their wedding, and then denies her admission to the reception.