Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

billyweeds
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:33 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
I wonder whatever happened to Jack Kelly, who had none of Garner's charisma).

Here to serve. I became quite friendly with Jack Kelly back in the late 60s and early 70s when I was writing questions for a television quiz show called Sale of the Century, hosted by Kelly. Quiz show host was not exactly Kelly's calling, and he was later replaced by Joe Garagiola. But in the meantime Kelly and I became quite chummy, and I spent one alcohol-soaked Christmas Day with him at his home in Riverside Beach, CA, a town of which he later became the mayor.

It was an irony of fate that Maverick was created as a vehicle for Kelly, but when Garner entered the scene it was suddenly no contest. Be that as it may, Jack (at least for the record) never begrudged "Jimbo"--as he referred to him--the upper hand. Jack Kelly had charm and a kind of Californian class. He was not afraid to dish, either, and didn't hold back. I really liked him--and he really liked "Jimbo." Jack passed away several years ago, probably hastened by his love of booze. I will always remember him fondly.
carrobin
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote
That's interesting. Jack Kelly hardly ever seemed to show up after "Maverick" left the air (I don't watch game shows, except "Jeopardy"). Good to know that he didn't hold Garner's success against him. I'm reminded of Robert Vaughn and David McCallum in "The Man from UNCLE"--it was supposed to be Solo's show, but Kuryakin became the real star. Unfortunately the studio system held him back (as it had all the Warner Bros. folks, like Zimbalist) by putting him into terrible movies between seasons.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Jack Kelly's sister was Nancy Kelly ("The Bad Seed").
jeremy
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Interesting stuff Billy.

Screen presence - part looks, part ability and part alchemy - is really hard to deconstruct or define. It's one of those things about which one can say, "You know it when you see it." James Garner had it.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
carrobin
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:58 am Reply with quote
FYI, "Sharknado 2: The Second One" hits your TV screens next Wednesday. Have the mop ready. Meanwhile, check out this from the current New Yorker.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/07/28/deniers-2

By the way, anyone can read the New Yorker online till the end of summer. They've redesigned and there's a lot of good stuff there.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
FYI, "Sharknado 2: The Second One" hits your TV screens next Wednesday. Have the mop ready. Meanwhile, check out this from the current New Yorker.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/07/28/deniers-2

By the way, anyone can read the New Yorker online till the end of summer. They've redesigned and there's a lot of good stuff there.

In a very similar vein, here's a video I shot recently for Upright Citizens Brigade, in a series called "Between the Scenes," which purportedly tells you what the supporting players were doing between takes. Here's Jaws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K6FdMak1Qk
marantzo
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Good video, Billy. I got a kick out of it.
bartist
Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:41 am Reply with quote
Me too. (Watched on new tablet)

We ducked a bullet in 2012....

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2014/23jul_superstorm/

Last edited by bartist on Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:32 am Reply with quote
Considering the technological trends today, I can't help but think that a solar wipeout of all that progress would be mostly beneficial. I still want my toilet to flush, though.
Syd
Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12889 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
carrobin wrote:
Considering the technological trends today, I can't help but think that a solar wipeout of all that progress would be mostly beneficial. I still want my toilet to flush, though.

You wouldn't be able to come here to talk about it. On the other hand, you'd be able to see all the stars

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote
It would probably be hard to get money from my checking account, but at least I couldn't be buying things I don't need online. (Would that kill Amazon, I wonder?)
daffy
Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
More sad news for the hipster. I know he was a fan:

Kim’s Video Closes and a Village Sensibility Dies.

(I looked for Marc on Facebook and couldn't find him, so posted here)

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html
daffy
Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Lots of the stuff that makes Manhattan great is closing these days. It seems like there's another one every day. The Subway Inn? Gone. Big Nick's? Gone. If the Dublin House closes we might have to start a revolution.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html
marantzo
Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Daffy, I couldn't agree with you more. Manhattan is definitely getting rid of so many things that had made Manhattan wonderful. Aside from that, more and more of the population has been flooded with multimillionaires and billionaires while middle and lower class people have a difficult time living in NYC.

When I was in NYC five or six years ago, I went to Greenwich Village and was very sad about how it had been run-down. Places that I used to love going to, seemed to have disappeared.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Double post