Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

bartist
Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:53 am Reply with quote
Haha!

Hope they run it again later in the week. I was dealing with house selling contortions whilst 24 was on.

Clearly, I have a love/hate thing going on with this show.

Debating watching the sci-fi thing next month with Halle Berry getting knocked up on a space station.

Sorry about that ambiguous sentence structure there. What a Freudian mess.

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:06 am Reply with quote
I agree wholeheartedly with carrobin. 24 is certainly exciting from start to finish.
carrobin
Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Last night was the second and final episode of "The Escape Artist" on PBS, a British crime drama starring David Tennant in the title role--a British defense attorney (barrister) who had never lost a case (thus his nickname). Has anyone else seen it? I was relieved that last night was its conclusion, because nothing I read about it told me how many episodes were involved, and I was afraid it might go on longer--and "24" is enough of an intense commitment for me. Perry Mason's clients were always innocent, so he didn't have the problem that Tennant has with a clever psycho he's set loose and has to deal with on his own. It was a terrific mystery/thriller, and of course I'll watch Tennant in anything (though his Scottish accent seems to get thicker all the time). Highly recommended.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I didn't get to watch The Escape Artist. I couldn't watch the first episode because it was on the same time as a series that I watch, so I didn't want to see the 2nd episode. They'll show it again sometime so I will see it then. I knew it would be good.
carrobin
Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Since we have two PBS stations and both of them had "The Escape Artist," on different nights, I managed to catch the second episode again tonight, after "24." It was helpful to see it a second time, because the hero's actions are fairly odd (in a diabolical way, as he would put it). And when he defends himself in court, he doesn't tell a single lie. I wouldn't have realized that if I hadn't seen it twice. There were a few details that didn't quite jell, but not enough to bother me. Smart writing about a brilliant fellow--too bad it probably won't start a series.
Befade
Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching the 6th season of Mad Men and found it to be the best of the lot. The surprises were jolting. The actors were perfect in their roles and things are happening.

But mainly I appreciated the back to the 60s take. The national events......so many of them......the riots, the assassinations, Vietnam......these were jarring times. I like seeing the characters reacting to all of it. I wanted to move to Canada then. And the products they were advertising......so familiar as the all American brands. Especially moving was Don's disclosure of his true boyhood relationship with Hershey bars. Jon Hamm was so brilliant this season........descending into alcoholism, reflecting on his past, destruction confusion took over. I especially like the characters Megan and Shirley and Sally.

What next. How will this show wrap up? Will Don find peace of mind? sobriety? a new career? another divorce or a return to Betty?

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
A spoiler alert on the above might not hurt.

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Learned last night that they're about two months into shooting the third season of Ripper Street, which I'm looking forward to even more than the next season of Sherlock.

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:58 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
HA! I'm ready to conclude that one new show, this season, rose above the pack:

Sleepy Hollow. Clever, lighthearted take on the preposterous notion that Ichabod Crane might be suddenly transported to the 21st century and team up with a supercute (IMO) cop to deal with various supernatural problems facing the town, including those four apocalyptic horsemen you made have heard tell of. Supporting cast like John Cho and Clancy Brown help the show not take itself too seriously, and a good time is had by all.

This post is from last September. Sorry to chime in so late.

I, too, have enjoyed "Sleepy Hollow" and am looking forward to Season Two. I especially like the running joke with Ichabod trying as best he can to adjust to 21st Century life, but not getting it quite right. E.g., upon seeing Abbie receive some packages she'd ordered online, Ichabod says, "Ah, more treasures from the Amazon, I see!" or "Another Starbucks? How many are there?"

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote
Hiya, Earl.

Yes, the anachronism jokes are great. And he dare not run to the Target and suit up with some jeans and polo shirts, because then there would be no fodder for wardrobe jokes.

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:41 pm Reply with quote
OK, folks, it's Sharknado 2 time. This time they seem to be doing all they can to emphasize the joke, but without losing the death and destruction aspect. In the first twenty minutes they've had the hero seeing something on the wing of the plane (nobody else saw the shark lying there amid the roiling dark clouds, of course), and then there were sharks on the plane (where is Samuel L. Jackson when you need him), and our hero has to land the plane after the pilots are sucked out of a shark-smashed cockpit window. Meanwhile New York seems remarkably unaware of the approaching megastorm, and Matt Lauer and Al Roker are doing their usual easy-does-it weather chatter. In real life, a storm like that would have been anticipated at least 24 hours earlier, and stores' shelves would be bare of batteries, flashlights, bottled water, etc. New Yorkers rush the stores at the first warning of a bad storm, even if they have stockpiles.
Befade
Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Netflix has just put up the 4th and final season of The Killing. Joan Allen is guest starring. And because it's Patti Smith's favorite show, she has a cameo. This show provides complete satisfaction with its atmospherics, it's acting, and it's story lines. Love it. But I'm not into binge watching so 3 episodes may do for tonight. Then again, this season has only 6 episodes.

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:06 am Reply with quote
Saw 1st sea. and liked atmospherics, too, as well as overall, but somehow didnt want to go back.

saw quantum leap for 1st time - looks like it aired years we didnt own a tv. Enjoy the nostalgia of the time jumps and the whimsy, and Dean S. is perfect as the somewhat debauched lab guy.

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Quantum Leap was fun. Saw it when it was current. Quite a long time ago.
jeremy
Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
"We have no idea what's waiting for you down there."

So they can live in exile on a massive orbiting space, but they are incapable of assessing the state of the planet. The idea behind the latest post-apocalyptic mini-series "The 100" is so stupid that whatever other merits it may have, I can't bring myself to watch it. "The Hunger Games" has a lot to answer for.

We seem to be suffering from a surfeit of poorly thought through, generic dystopias whose only raison d'etre seems to be put nice, attractive young people in dangerous situations devoid of any meaningful social or political context or even subtext. Could they be designed to be any more unthreatening and meaningless.

On the subject of dubious premises:

FADE IN:
INT. TASTEFULLY FURNISHED, HIGH RISE APARTMENT - DAY

A HANDSOME EXECUTIVE is twin screening; his eyes flitting between his laptop and a repeat episode of "Futurama". He puts down his mug of coffee and begins to type. .

POV JEREMY
INSERT COMPUTER SCREEN

JEREMY (Jude Law): I've heard moderately good things about "Lucy", but I am seriously put off that it seems to be based on the old saw about most people only using 10% of their brains. Not only has it been done before, the concept is ridiculous...Trying to think of an apt analogy...It's like saying...Somebody help me out here.

CUT TO:
EXT. LARGE, TRADITIONAL, MID-WESTERN FARMHOUSE SET AMONGST WHEAT FIELDS - DAY

CUT TO:
INT. RUSTIC LOOKING, BUT MODERN KITCHEN - CONTINUOUS

A SLIM, MIDDLE-AGED, INTELLECTUAL LOOKING HIPSTER (Mark Ruffalo) is sitting at a large wooden table. He glances at his ultra-thin Apple notebook.

POV BART
INSERT COMPUTER SCREEN.

BART: Like saying that someone sitting down is only using ten percent of their muscles to live...We use all parts of the brain for different cognitive purposes at different times. The only way to "use 100 percent" would be to think and remember everything all at once...Madness and utter chaos...Yes, a silly old cliche.

FADE OUT

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.