Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

marantzo
Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:35 am Reply with quote
They are supposed to be above that type of thing, but they aren't and that's mostly, if not entirely, ignored by the far right judges. Rather disgusting.
carrobin
Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
They probably think they're doing God's work, like the Inquisitors.
bartist
Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:49 pm Reply with quote
People don't set off fireworks much here. Loving it. I'm told it's a tradition that has to do with the danger of range fires. My hood has a large Native population, also, so that may be a factor. July 4 is not a big deal.

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Fancy fireworks are fine for a festive show. But I hate firecrackers and all that noisy celebration stuff. For one thing, they scare the dogs. (My sister got thundershirts for her two dogs, and they really worked to calm them down. But now she says the dogs get nervous when she brings them out--they know a storm is coming.)
gromit
Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:59 pm Reply with quote
A good article on the HobLob decision:
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/07/corporations-still-not-people/373889/

I liked his conclusion, even if it is a little glib:
Quote:
A few weeks ago, in testimony before the Senate Rules Committee on campaign finance, I said that I keep reading and rereading the First Amendment, and I am still looking for the word "money." Well, I keep reading and rereading the Constitution and I still can't find the word "corporation." This Supreme Court, with its new form of crony capitalism, seems to see the words everywhere.

Of course, you don't find privacy written down in the big C either.

I think most people are troubled by the way corporations get to have it both ways. The individuals behind the company can assert individual rights, but are also protected form liability and get the tax breaks and other benefits of being shielded behind incorporation.

Or, as Ornstein puts it:
Quote:
for the majority on the Roberts Court, through a series of rulings that favor corporations over labor or other interests, it is clear that corporations are king, superior to individual Americans—with all the special treatment in taxes and protection from legal liability that are unavailable to us individuals, and now all the extra benefits that come with individual citizenship. Call it the new Crony Capitalism.

Quote:

a corporate charter—the idea that these are separate, artificial entities created for narrow and specific purposes—is ignored, dismissed, or downplayed in the desire to equate corporations with individuals in granting rights. To Alito, corporations are collections of individuals, and deserve all the protections the individuals in the collective have. Of course, missing from his collective are the employees of the corporation.

Here is the textbook legal definition of a corporation: an association of individuals, created by law or under authority of law, having a continuous existence independent of the existences of its members, and powers and liabilities distinct from those of its members.

Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Of course, missing from his collective are the employees of the corporation.

Yup. It really is crony capitalism.

I had not heard of "thundershirts" until Carro mentioned. Pretty cool.

Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
About 30 years ago, a freelancer I worked with wrote a book called "Inc. Yourself," in which she described the financial benefits of forming a one-person corporation and explained how to do it. The book was successful enough to get an updated reissue a few years later. Now I wonder whether that might have been a good move for me.

P.S. Thundeorshirts are advertised on TV occasionally. I'm sure they're available on the internet.
bartist
Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I went to their website and was amused to see they had ones for cats, too. I didn't read the explanatory material (if there was any), but I'm guessing that a garment that exerts pressure sort of recreates the comforting pressure of being all mooshed in with your littermates, under the mother, when a puppy or kitten. There's a similar kind of thing for persons with autism.

Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 02 Aug 2004 Posts: 1359 Location: Way Down Yonder.......
carrobin wrote:
They probably think they're doing God's work, like the Inquisitors.

No, just ordinary misogynists.
marantzo
Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I still remember when I lived in New York and Nixon was the president and Trudeau was the PM of Canada. There was a big part of the population that wanted NY to become part of Canada. I was a cabbie at that time, and passengers often said that NY would be better off in Canada. I'd say, "I'd like that too. I'm Canadian." Often I would get, "Really?" or a laugh.
jeremy
Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
It seems that even Germany's 7-1 thumping of Brazil - there'd have been less consternation in Brasil if the German Army had razed Brazilia - has struggled to stoke the dying embers of American interest in the World Cup.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
marantzo
Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the Brazilian team has ever had 7 goals against them.
carrobin
Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I don't care about sports at all, but it's like a good sports movie--the human interest side of it is fascinating. It's only a game, like Bambi's mother was only a deer....
Befade
Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I had not heard of "thundershirts" until Carro mentioned. Pretty cool.

Not so for my dogs. Forget fireworks. In AZ we have the monsoons: storms most every day in the afternoon or evening that last a couple of hours. A few years ago I bought a thunder shirt from Dr. Foster's catalogue. They are supposed to do what the swaddling of infants does, Bart. Did not work on either of my 2 big dogs. Thunder wasn't bothering my smaller dog.

My vet suggested Rescue Remedy, a liquid you can get at a health food store. you rub it under the dog's ear flaps. That's not a foolproof solution either. My middle dog still shakes and pants and digs the carpet and hides in corners.

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:40 am Reply with quote
Marc, I don't know if you're around much these days, but I thought you might want to know about this:

Rodeo Bar Will Sing Its Final Song This Month

It's a cryin' shame.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html