Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

marantzo
Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:49 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
marantzo wrote:
Haven't seen Under the Skin. I have seen The Sexy Beast and liked it very much. Seems strange that UtS moves along slowly when Jonathan Glazer's TSB moves along quickly.

I am being a real title martinet this morning, but I was confused until I realized you were talking about Sexy Beast with no "The." That definite article changes the whole vibe of the title for me.

Of course. The Sexy Beast is about an ape. Laughing
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:32 am Reply with quote
Saw the 2003 remake of The Italian Job starring Mark Wahlberg, Charlize Theron, and Edward Norton, expecting a totally cheesy flick, but lo and behold, it was surprisingly well-made and quite entertaining. Haven't ever seen the original with Michael Caine, but am now interested in checking that one out too.

Not to oversell the Wahlberg version, but it has a couple of excellent scenes and unexpected twists, and a nice supporting turn by Donald Sutherland.
Syd
Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:40 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
billyweeds wrote:
Saw the 2003 remake of The Italian Job starring Mark Wahlberg, Charlize Theron, and Edward Norton, expecting a totally cheesy flick, but lo and behold, it was surprisingly well-made and quite entertaining. Haven't ever seen the original with Michael Caine, but am now interested in checking that one out too.

Not to oversell the Wahlberg version, but it has a couple of excellent scenes and unexpected twists, and a nice supporting turn by Donald Sutherland.

There's just something so appealing about a caper that involves Mini Coopers.

Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
billyweeds wrote:

The original is broader and more comic and, IMO, has dated a little, It's still worth a look though, for its (swinging) sixties optimism, a great turn by Michael Caine - whose presence carries the film - and a neat Laurance Olivier cameo.

Last edited by jeremy on Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
marantzo
Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Both The Italian Job movies are good.

Billy, soon you will be telling me that God With the Wind and The Malted Falcon are the wrong titles.
yambu
Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Both are good, and the newer had great effects, though I might have drawn the line at a helicopter hovering inside a parking garage but didn't.

I saw the Caine version second, and I was glad I did. These bad guys were closer in sophistication to the Great Train mob, but so what. Caine was on his game.
jeremy
Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Yambu, You should see "Calvary" when it arrives wherever you are. I'd be really interested to hear your take on it.

yambu
Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:38 pm Reply with quote
jeremy wrote:
Yambu, You should see "Calvary" when it arrives wherever you are. I'd be really interested to hear your take on it.
Thanks, Jeremy. I have it in my high beams.
bartist
Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
jeremy wrote:
billyweeds wrote:

The original is broader and more comic and, IMO, has dated a little, It's still worth a look though, for its (swinging) sixties optimism, a great turn by Michael Caine - whose presence carries the film - and a neat Laurance Olivier cameo.

Liked the whimsy, like Mini Coopers on a roof, of the original, and yes, the optimism. As I may have written here already, the ending offers a nice conundrum/puzzle. The remake was good, too - I think Ed Norton was in his Heist Period around that time. The bloody doors off line is reprised, of course, and the explosives more powerful than in the original, as one might expect. Muscularity continues to replace wit, at the moviehouse.

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Weltschmerz is the word for Only Lovers Left Alive.

“a gloomy, romanticized world-weary sadness, experienced most often by privileged youth.”

Nothing about being boring and flimsy in the definition though ...

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Weltzschmerz is one of those words I see and think. I'd like to remember that but never do.

If you watch "the Trip", you'll see evidence that The Italian Job (the original) remains part of British popular culture, particularly with respect to Michael Caine's llne, "You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off."

Befade
Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Three very good current films that deserve your support:

Marc sounds like Austin is a great place for films. Lucky you!

I'm tired of driving 2 hours for the good ones. May do this for Boyhood and Land Ho! the buddy film about Iceland. I just visited there and highly recommend everything about it.

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:07 am Reply with quote
Hey, I just drove 8 hours to see a movie. Well not really, but we drove down to Lincoln for a couple days and are going to see the re-release of A Hard Day's Night at the U. theater. Don't think it will make it up to Rapid City.

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
My limit is 40 minutes each way, which takes me to Quail Springs Mall in Oklahoma City. However, most movies I see at the Warren Theatre, which is 9 miles away, or the in-town theater, which is 4 miles away. The Warren's enough better that it's worth the gas money.

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Seeing Boyhood tonight. Salivating.