Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

billyweeds
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:43 am Reply with quote
The fact that Criminal Minds continues to be a television hit is one of the most telling pieces of evidence that something is wrong with this country. CM is one of the most disgusting television shows--make that THE most disgusting--I've ever seen. It's sick, perverted junk.
carrobin
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:18 am Reply with quote
Sunday I was chatting with a friend who said she thinks "Person of Interest" is becoming too violent. I didn't agree, but I know what she means. It seems that much of TV drama these days demands more action, which almost always means violence, to keep the viewer involved. There have been several new shows that looked interesting, but I switched away from them because the violence overwhelmed me before the characters had a chance to make an impression. I haven't seen "Criminal Minds" but I've never heard or read anything that made me think I'd enjoy it.
bartist
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:31 am Reply with quote
P of I reran the terrific episode with the little Russian spy girl. It's the one that includes the Shaw flashback to childhood, which seemed to suggest she's not a psychopath but someone who just became emotionally numb when her parents died in a car crash. And, in case those scenes were ambiguous, Shaw shows a deep undercurrent of emotion at the end when she is checking the spy girl into a fancy prep school. I think the show will go in the direction of Shaw as the Vulcan who turns out to be half-human.

They keep promising new episodes, I hope they mean it this time.

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:19 am Reply with quote
P of I - Well, Reese has become such a softie...I mean, a CIA assassin who can't shoot John Heard to save many other lives? Heck, I'd shoot John Heard! JK

Looks like the grossly misnamed "Samaritan" machine is coming after our team.

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:12 am Reply with quote
Heard really looked the part of a senator, too. I don't think I've seen him since he was young and kind of cute. (Shaw would have shot him.)
bartist
Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:25 am Reply with quote
"...since he was young..."

Then you missed the life-changing experience of seeing Mr. Heard in "Sharknado." Really has to be seen to be believed. Mere words cannot express....

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:33 am Reply with quote
"Sharknado"! I had forgotten he was in that. I think I've sort of blocked out everyone who was in it. (But I'm looking forward to the sequel, set in NYC!)
billyweeds
Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:00 am Reply with quote
Oh, the horror! Another great series has started and my appointment television schedule is getting far too full.

Fargo was never ever going to measure up to the 1996 movie, one of my top ten favorites of all time. But it's really good, really evocative of the movie, interesting on its own, occasionally genuinely Coenesque, and particularly well acted by BIlly Bob Thornton and Martin Freeman. Thornton IMO is giving his best performance ever--in a role similar to but more fascinating than Javier Bardem's Oscarwinning character in No Country for Old Men. Thornton is part devil, part (avenging) angel, part playground troublemaker, and all mysterious and fascinating as hell. He nails it totally. Freeman plays a variation on William H. Macy's Jerry from the original Fargo, and though he couldn't hope to equal Macy (who could?) he's marvelous in his own right. The series is not a remake of the original movie, but a riff on it--an homage, if you will--and a mighty mighty fine one.

Adding Fargo to the already must-watch items The Americans, Mad Men, Bates Motel, and The Good Wife (not to mention the on-hiatus True Detective and Homeland) is a genuine embarrassment of riches. I'm almost grateful that I've never gotten into Person of Interest, which seems to be an obsession with those who got hooked. Any one of these series provides more bang for the buck than almost any movie I've seen recently.
marantzo
Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Saw the first episode of Fargo and once again someone (Billy this time) reviews it and tells everything about it that I would have written about, so I don't have to write a review. Thanks Billy.

Unfortunately, Fargo will now air on FXX and we don't have FXX here yet. There is some kind of problem about the financial amount for FXX, that our companies have been quibbling about. Mad
bartist
Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm almost grateful that I've never gotten into Person of Interest, which seems to be an obsession with those who got hooked.
I suspect P of I captured at least 40-50% of the "Lost" fans, so "obsession" is almost preordained in the show's DNA.

I'm starting The Americans next month - look forward to it.

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
"Lost" caught me from the beginning, but lost me (no pun intended) in the third season. I didn't even watch the finale. "Person of Interest," on the other hand, gets more intriguing with each episode. Yes, I'm obsessed--but I didn't really mean to dress like Reese today, when I realized I was going out wearing dark jeans, dark jacket, and white shirt. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and thought, the man in the suit.
Syd
Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I've been flat on my back with a stomach ailment so I've been catching up with Netflix movies, and the last six episodes of Lost Girl back to back. They may have killed off one of my favorite characters, but this being Lost Girl, they may bring him/her back. And Lauren's getting lesbian sex scenes with the Morrigan, which is always worthwhile.

Never ever even once heard of Lost GIrl.

Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
I've been flat on my back with a stomach ailment so I've been catching up with Netflix movies, and the last six episodes of Lost Girl back to back. They may have killed off one of my favorite characters, but this being Lost Girl, they may bring him/her back. And Lauren's getting lesbian sex scenes with the Morrigan, which is always worthwhile.

Never ever even once heard of Lost GIrl.
marantzo
Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I watched Lost Girl for a couple of seasons when I was in Medellin. Since I was back here I have had trouble watching it because it was always on at the wrong time. I've seen a few episodes. Always like it. I will probably see it when it's in the re-runs.
bartist
Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:59 am Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
"Lost" caught me from the beginning, but lost me (no pun intended) in the third season. I didn't even watch the finale. "Person of Interest," on the other hand, gets more intriguing with each episode. Yes, I'm obsessed--but I didn't really mean to dress like Reese today, when I realized I was going out wearing dark jeans, dark jacket, and white shirt. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and thought, the man in the suit.

LOL. And briefly confusing in terms of the mental image I had previously formed of you.