Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:45 am Reply with quote
I really hated The Royal Tenenbaums, but then it was very Salingeresque and I can't stand Salinger. I think Moonrise Kingdom is the only Wes Anderson movie I've like.

Full confession: early in his career I thought Wes Anderson was the same person as Wes Craven.

-Topher
bartist
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:56 am Reply with quote
"Nightmare at the Tenenbaum House"

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:08 am Reply with quote
"Last House on Tenenbaum Road"
Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:14 am Reply with quote
I was genuinely impressed with his range. *sigh*

-Topher
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
I can't stand Salinger.

Oops. I just noticed this. No.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
Catcher in the Rye is one of those things I try but sometikes fail to separate from the load of drck that has trailed in ots wake.

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I was reading James Gleick's book on information theory and one of many things discussed is how about 50% of information in written words is redundant and not needed for understanding. Illustrated by the classic NYC ad, "If u cn rd ths sntnc..." So, just saying, if vowels give you trouble, u cn prbly gt lng wtht thm.

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Do hou have an issue with my vowel movements?

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
whiskeypriest wrote:
Catcher in the Rye is one of those things I try but sometikes fail to separate from the load of drck that has trailed in ots wake.

Don't agree. The "Nine Stories" which preceded Catcher are mostly brilliant and the only loser afterwards was "Seymour: An Introduction." It was lame. But "Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters," and "Franny and Zooey" are marvelous. IMO.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I think he's a terrible writer, not because he writes terrible prose, the prose is fine, but because his characters are shallow, solipsistic and self-important. He has a bright 15 year old's take on life, and I think his philosophy is utterly worthless to anyone who is beyond puberty.

IMO, of course.

And Anderson suffers from the same failings. He thinks his characters and his screen compositions are so adorably eccentric. He's so pleased with himself, and they are so pleased with themselves. It's grating.

-Topher
whiskeypriest
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:06 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
whiskeypriest wrote:

Don't agree. The "Nine Stories" which preceded Catcher are mostly brilliant and the only loser afterwards was "Seymour: An Introduction." It was lame. But "Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters," and "Franny and Zooey" are marvelous. IMO.
The dreck I was referrng to are Salinger's fleas, not Salinger himself. I am not overly failiar with his on-catcher work.

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
I think he's a terrible writer, not because he writes terrible prose, the prose is fine, but because his characters are shallow, solipsistic and self-important. He has a bright 15 year old's take on life, and I think his philosophy is utterly worthless to anyone who is beyond puberty.

IMO, of course.

And Anderson suffers from the same failings. He thinks his characters and his screen compositions are so adorably eccentric. He's so pleased with himself, and they are so pleased with themselves. It's grating.

Now that you frame it that way, I can at least partially agree with you. Salinger's characters can be obnoxiously preppy, too.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Smile

-Topher
jeremy
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Tenenbaums gets my vote.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
Syd
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Miracle of the White Stallions was a favorite of mine when I was a kid and, although the years and my growing up haven't been kind to it, I still enjoy watching the beautiful horses (which are really light gray) promenade and dance. Robert Taylor plays Col. Alois Podhajsky (called "Louis" by his wife), head of the Spanish Riding School in Vienna (and Bronze medalist in the 1936 Olympics), who made heroic efforts to save the Lippezan stallions and later the mares, in an effort to keep the breed alive. Taylor really isn't very good (I've heard him referred to as 'Robot Taylor,' but we do have Lilli Palmer, Eddie Albert and especially Curt Jürgens in support, with James Franciscus likable as a young American officer. The horses, however, are largely interchangeable. I'd forgotten that Lippezans start off dark-colored; the gray ones change color as they get older.

Horse choreography was directed by the real Col. Alois Podhajsky. There are a lot of exciting scenes where the horses' train gets strafed (probably more exciting than real life), and a major battle scene, which makes me wonder if Louis should show a more concern for the humans in the story. The big battle scene is to rescue 2000 prisoners of war, but the 1000 horses rescued (mostly not Lippezans) are the ones we're supposed to cheer for. I must admit it's a good rescue. As near as I can tell, no horses get injured, but lots of humans do.