Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

lshap
Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:54 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Jeremy - I concede to the same fascination. Having absorbed 14 episodes in four days (working days, no less) means I can't exactly feign indifference. I snuck in episodes like a crack addict, freebasing scenes whenever clients and family weren't looking. HoC is excellent, addictive TV, driven by intricate plotting (duel meaning intended). It's just missing its heart, which I think will keep it one tier below a classic.

I still have 12 episodes of S2 to watch, so check back with me around midnight EST. Not that I have to watch it... I can stop anytime.

Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I recall I came in here last year, grumbling about the fascination/repulsion I was experiencing thanks to Mr. Spacey, et al. Still not sure I want to back into the (shark-infested) water for season two.

BTW, if anyone here like Louis C.K. and missed the SNL monologue of March 29th, you may want to check out that 10 glorious minutes of shtick both metaphysical and profane - and just brilliantly funny. The episode also has Beck Bennett playing one of the weirdest skits I've ever seen - he's a man with "the body of a baby." And Louis C.K. also appears on "Black Jeopardy."

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:52 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:

BTW, if anyone here like Louis C.K. and missed the SNL monologue of March 29th, you may want to check out that 10 glorious minutes of shtick both metaphysical and profane - and just brilliantly funny. The episode also has Beck Bennett playing one of the weirdest skits I've ever seen - he's a man with "the body of a baby." And Louis C.K. also appears on "Black Jeopardy."

Louis C.K.'s monologue provoked in me the most laughter I've gotten from SNL in years. I adore C.K. in general, but his refusal to adhere to what seem to be the usual very lame monologue guidelines of SNL was a joy to behold. He went long, and edgy, and rocked blue jeans, and was all-around laugh-out-loud hilarious. The man is one of my idols. Long may he live and prosper!

Last edited by billyweeds on Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
bartist
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:50 am Reply with quote
Yes! CK and I have a couple odd connections. We both spent part of our childhood in Newton, MA. and both know a standup comedian and organic farmer who used to live next door to me in Nebr. We both suffered major regional transplantation in mid-childhood - me from Kansas to Boston, he from Mexico City to Boston. My memory of meeting him is peculiar, because I had no idea who he was at the time he stopped by my neighbor's. I was trying to fix a beat up old car and he asked me what was wrong and we shared a brief moment chatting about jury-rigged fixes on old cars. Seemed like a nice guy.

He may be the only person I've heard of who can claim to be a Hispanic comedian (grandmother), Jewish comedian (grandfather), and Irish-American comedian (mom's side).

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:09 am Reply with quote
Very interesting, Bart.
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:29 am Reply with quote
bart--That Beck Bennett baby sketch was at least the second time Bennett has done that character. He's undeniably skillful doing it, but the whole premise turns me off TOTALLY. It's pointless to the ultimate.
bartist
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:02 am Reply with quote
LOL, yes it is rather pointless. I thought at first it might be a political metaphor, but no.

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:48 am Reply with quote
I can't remember when SNL provided two weeks in a row of decent-to-excellent episodes, but the ones hosted by Louis C.K. and Anna Kendrick did the trick. C.K. has long been an idol of mine and his opening monologue was the funniest I can recall. (Granted, that's not saying much, since most SNL opening monologues are surefire insomnia cures, but whatever.) C.K. abandoned all the unspoken opening-monologue guidelines and crushed it totally.

Then, without warning, Kendrick equaled the C.K. standard not by attempting to be funny, but with a hugely successful charm offensive, backed by musical and comedic talent that never failed. Her auto-tuned Ariel the mermaid, her opening take on Beauty and the Beast, her...just about everything, made her one of the most enjoyable guest hosts in years. More, please.
bartist
Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to view the Kendrick charm offensive ASAP, then.

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
"Colbert to Succeed Letterman on ‘Late Show’".

I like that, but I shall miss the right-wing blow-hard on Comedy Central.

carrobin
Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad there's going to be about a year to adjust to the loss of both Dave and the Colbert Report. But I'm also glad that Colbert is the one who will be taking over at 11:30 on CBS, since he's the only one among all the contenders that I'd really want to watch. (I do like Craig Ferguson, but from what I've seen over the past year or so, his show has slipped into a rather dull repetitive groove.)

By the way, I picked up my free People magazine today and there's a picture of Doris Day, who just turned 90. She looks good, though I wouldn't have recognized her without the accompanying flashback photo. (She's on page 28.)
marantzo
Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:05 am Reply with quote
Just to get it off my chest, Criminal Minds is Mind Gagging Crap!
carrobin
Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Tonight I'lll be watching "Mad Men" and checking out "Years of Living Dangerously" during the commercials. I'm counting on Showtime to run it often.
bartist
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:38 am Reply with quote
Gary, how right you are! And the other network competitors in the Sick Psycho genre, like "Hannibal" and "The Following" are awful, as well.

Somewhere down the thread someone mentioned a tv version of Fargo, starting this Tuesday? Quite a cast, but no Margie Gunderson.

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
Gary, how right you are! And the other network competitors in the Sick Psycho genre, like "Hannibal" and "The Following" are awful, as well.

Somewhere down the thread someone mentioned a tv version of Fargo, starting this Tuesday? Quite a cast, but no Margie Gunderson.

Have never seen or will see, Hannibal but I saw the first season of The Following and only stayed with it to see the bad guy and his followers are killed. They were killed but apparently he came back to life in this years series?????? It was total crap.

What kind of people watch Criminal Minds year after year after year?