Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Film Squawks: 10-Second Reviews on Current Film

billyweeds
Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
jeremy wrote:
It sounds slightly racist to say it, but I think the original "Oldboy" is less disturbing because, as westerners, we can watch it with a certain detachment or fascination.

Perhaps slightly racist but also true.
bartist
Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:24 am Reply with quote
Somehow, The Wolf of Wall St., with all its talent aboard, seems too shallow to put anywhere but 10-second squawks. Lacking depth, originality, or sympathetic characters, it's Gordon Gecko Meets the Farrelly Brothers. A mountain of coke, an ocean of tits. Leo is one-note, but he plays that note well, I'll give him that. It's funny, in many places - a nice ride in the funpark of Depravity. Ho hum.

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:54 am Reply with quote
bart--One-note? Yeah, right. (This is sarcasm btw.) The scene on the yacht with the FBI agent was EXACTLY the same note as the scene on ludes with the car. EXACTLY. Is the sarcasm clear enough yet?

Seriously, this role encompassed everything from honestly played heavy drama to brilliant slapstick comedy with all the stops in between. It is as far from a one-note performance as any I can remember. DiCaprio deserved the Oscar hands-down.
gromit
Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:25 am Reply with quote
I nearly bought WoW St. today, but the disc was lightly scratched so I passed. But really I rarely enjoy a Scorsese film (disliked The Departed on a number of levels), and don't care for amped-up drug-sex-money films much either.
I probably should give it a pass...

Last edited by gromit on Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:05 am Reply with quote
Billy, I know we disagree (I remember your comments on WoWS) on this one, possibly in some way I'm not able to unpack or articulate. Crawling on ludes or needling feds or shouting pep talks to his minions, it all seemed like the same drumbeat of frantic sociopath and his interior monologue of screw-the-rubes. I found nothing there to sympathize with or take much interest in.

Leo is a fine actor, and he did a good job. But Jordan (who authors the source material from which the script comes) has no heart - he's a cold campaign of bullshit and self-promotion. The movie tries to make him like Henry Hill, but that doesn't fly - Henry Hill had a human being in there somewhere, he had a character arc that was about, well, character, and giving a shit about other people at some point.

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
bartist wrote:
Billy, I know we disagree (I remember your comments on WoWS) on this one, possibly in some way I'm not able to unpack or articulate. Crawling on ludes or needling feds or shouting pep talks to his minions, it all seemed like the same drumbeat of frantic sociopath and his interior monologue of screw-the-rubes. I found nothing there to sympathize with or take much interest in.

Leo is a fine actor, and he did a good job. But Jordan (who authors the source material from which the script comes) has no heart - he's a cold campaign of bullshit and self-promotion. The movie tries to make him like Henry Hill, but that doesn't fly - Henry Hill had a human being in there somewhere, he had a character arc that was about, well, character, and giving a shit about other people at some point.

WoWS left me cold because I detested every single character in it. But DiCaprio was fantastic, so much so that I wanted him to win the Best Actor Oscar. No, it's not like DiCaprio managed to find the humanity within the total prick he played. There was no redemption whatsoever, and no hint of morality. But I have to acknowledge a role that stank like hell but still managed to explode into orbit fuelled by pure acting talent.

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:44 pm Reply with quote
lshap wrote:
bartist wrote:

WoWS left me cold because I detested every single character in it. But DiCaprio was fantastic, so much so that I wanted him to win the Best Actor Oscar. No, it's not like DiCaprio managed to find the humanity within the total prick he played. There was no redemption whatsoever, and no hint of morality. But I have to acknowledge a role that stank like hell but still managed to explode into orbit fuelled by pure acting talent.

I can respect this feeling even though I really liked the movie. DiCaprio's achievement was IMO totally undeniable. It was genius.
jeremy
Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:54 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Noah not terrible shock.

I felt a little sorry for Emma Watson who seemed to have been charged with single-handedly 'replenishing' the earth. Well not quite on her own, of course, but with the hard part.

I also wondered what a pair of lions would eat waiting for the gazelles to get their numbers back up to a level to withstand predation.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
gromit
Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:12 am Reply with quote
Maybe it's all a regional as opposed to global flood, which makes more sense anyway. Kind of like Adam & Eve where there seems to be other people elsewhere, and there better be, or the whole human race is based on incestuous inbreeding.

The OT often seems to be the story of these people and this culture, with other gods and people vaguely off-screen. We tend to think worldwide as we have mastered transportation and become 7 billion scattered folks, but earlier ideas were different. Even in Asia, the Chinese considered themselves the center of the world and the limit of the civilization, etc.

Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:43 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
jeremy wrote:
Noah not terrible shock.

I felt a little sorry for Emma Watson who seemed to have been charged with single-handedly 'replenishing' the earth. Well not quite on her own, of course, but with the hard part.

I also wondered what a pair of lions would eat waiting for the gazelles to get their numbers back up to a level to withstand predation.

Stranded fish? There should have been three busy women, one for each of Noah's sons.

Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:22 am Reply with quote
Analyzing bible story for logic holes = shooting large slow-moving carp in a barrel.

I would be happy to help Emma Watson replenish the earth. (daughter not looking over shoulder as I type.....ok, good....)

Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Yes, it's all too easy to pick holes in bible stories, and I think that, a fundamentalist core aside, most religious people except that they are legends and metaphors. And isn't there some allusion or implication in the Bible that other peoples survived or were unaffected by the flood. However, for better or worse, Aronofsky went with an embellished, but fairly literal version of the story. One that would have been less troubling if there had been more wives around,

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
bartist
Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Funny to think of the "Pi" director going this direction!

Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:38 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
bartist wrote:
Funny to think of the "Pi" director going this direction!

I was thinking that Ang Lee should have made this: "Five thousand years before 'Life of Pi,' another man went to sea with tigers."

Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:04 am Reply with quote
We saw one of PSH's last outings, now in indie theaters, "God's Pocket," a pretty good comic/noir not unlike a lower-tier Coen bro film, with some decent performances from Hoffman, Barton F- er - Turturro, and Mad Men's Christina Hendricks. (which the spellchecker tried to convert to "Christian") Set in a grimy and hopeless neighborhood of Philly, somewhere in the late 70's maybe, with a very vivid depiction of people who want to get out, but aren't going to. Some elements may make you think of Blood Simple, Philly Style.