Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  The Third Eye Reading Room  ~  What's On Your Bookshelf?

bartist
Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Bart, did you hear about the photon who checked into a hotel.

"Any luggage, sir?"

"No, I'm travelling light."

I'm afraid I've got lots more where that came from.

Hee, hee.

Why did the thief stop stealing extra electrons?

Because peeling anions made him cry.

Carro - I would find a Ministry of Silly Walks wristwatch difficult to resist, so it's as well they are out of stock. I will be surfing to that site again, before the year is out.
[/quote]

Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote
How do you know that the scientist believed in the electron?

He voted for Ron Paul.
bartist
Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:37 am Reply with quote
This guy at Caltech has a knack for lucid explanations of tough theories. Here he is on dark energy and why it drives the accelerated expansion of the universe...

http://www.preposterousuniverse.com/blog/2013/11/16/why-does-dark-energy-make-the-universe-accelerate/

(and why "accelerating" can be a misleading way to describe it...)

Posted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Today's David Brooks column in the NY Times is "Really Good Books, Part 1." It's a really good column...and reminded me that I need to read more Orwell.
marantzo
Posted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:40 pm Reply with quote
The Orwell books that I read were Keep the Aspidistra Flying, Animal Farm, 1984 and Down and Out in Paris and London. I liked them all very much. I actually heard a 1984 radio play when I was about 14. It was very good and I decided to read it and other Orwell books.
Syd
Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I just received the new Harry Dresden novel, which necessitates rereading the previous one. But I'm also engrossed in Sam Kean's "The Tale of the Dueling Neurosurgeons," which is absolutely fascinating. It's all about the gradual discovery of the functions of the various parts of the brain, how it can rewire itself, how it can become disordered, the oddities of perception, and how you can teach a blind person to see with his tongue. Kean's the author of "The Disappearing Spoon," which I liked a lot, and this is better.

Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
The title sort of refers to Vesalius and Pare, who both attended to Henri II after his soon-to-be-fatal jousting accident, but as near as I can tell, they never feuded. On the other hand, Camillo Golgi and Santiago Ramón y Cajal shared the 1906 Nobel Prize in Medicine for their theories of how neurons operate, which contradicted each other in critical areas, and spent a good part of their Nobel speeches criticizing each other. They both richly deserved the prize, Golgi as a pioneer, and Cajal for being mostly correct.

(Golgi worked out the structure of the human nerve cell, but misunderstood how they communicated with each other, which Cajal more or less worked out. Golgi's probably more famous, because there's a structure in cells called the Golgi apparatus, and he has other things named after him, but Cajal's one of the greatest biologists who ever lived, but neglected to have an apparatus named after him. He's a legend in neuroscience.)

Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 02 Aug 2004 Posts: 1359 Location: Way Down Yonder.......
Syd, just discovered the Dresden Files...have read the first five. Funny as hell. I am quite enjoying them.

Also have started the Jane Whitefield series by Thomas Perry. Boy, can he write!
marantzo
Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:04 am Reply with quote
Mitty, where have you been? Are you going to write any comments on the film sites? They have movies way down yonder, don't they? Laughing
mitty
Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:34 am Reply with quote
Hey Gary! Very Happy hah! Not too many good films come down here, especially on the
North Shore. Haven't been in a while. It has mostly been kiddie stuff, super hero, etc. although we did go to see the new Superman one. Not kiddie. Heh.
mitty
Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
If you want to read a near future, dystopian novel about NYC, Shovel Ready by Adam Sternbergh might be for you. The main character is an ex-garbageman turned hit man in the new NYC.
Not your typical Dystopian, at all.
mitty
Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Am reading William Faulkner's Flags in the Dust.

God, that man could write! .
mitty
Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Finished The First Man in Rome by Colleen McCullough, and am 3/4ths through the sequel, The Grass Crown. They are filling in some gaps of knowledge, and are, in places, funny as hell.
carrobin
Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I finally finished Kate Atkinson's "Behind the Scenes at the Museum," and it was quite a trip--several generations of one discontented English family from the late 1800s up till now, through a girl who remembers being born. (She's contemporary, but we learn a lot about her forebears.) Hard to describe, but fascinating throughout. If you think your relatives/parents/siblings are troublesome (and who doesn't?), you'll empathize. And it has about the funniest wedding reception ever put into print. (Ladies, never schedule your wedding on the day of the final World Cup match.)

Hint: it would help to make a list of the characters as you go along. I wish I had.
mitty
Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Just finished Jo Nesbo's latest, The Son. It's not part of his Harry Hole series, and I have the feeling this could be the beginning of another series. One of the protagonists left standing could easily carry over nicely into a new series.

This Nesbo offering is dark, yes. But it isn't quite as horrifically, terrifyingly dark as some of the later Harry Hole series. Thankfully. It is a well done, perhaps a bit of an old-fashioned mystery that has it's roots in the oldest of sins. Jealousy.

Also read and finished the newest Diana Gabaldon entry in the Outlander series. Written in My Own Heart's Blood. Meh. Parts were excellent, but it was just too much of a "been there, done that" for my taste. At 800+ pages, it cudda been shorter. But she is known for her doorstops and evidently wishes to continue to be done so.

I'm also working my way through the (Harry) Dresden Files series. Just read the latest, Blood Rites. I love the humor that Jim Butcher injects into this weirdness. Smile

Harry Dresden, Chicago's only advertised Wizard has managed to antagonize everyone in the magical world, and has at least three very powerful entities after him. It seems only a matter of time before one of them get him. It's an interesting entry in the Dresden world, Harry's relationships are becoming more and more complex, and one wonders when he will see what is right before his eyes.